new, in denial, and petrified! Please help!!!!!!

curlynurse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So as my title says, Im in denial. Havent been to dr`s yet, but checked my urine in work on monday, as I thought I had urine infection, and had 5+++++ of glucose!!! I then did my BM, it was 15.5mmol!! Im a nurse, so was able to test myself. My BM this am, before any food was 11.1mmol. Im scared, [etrified, I know I need to go to doc`s, but I refuse to be a diabetic!!! Did anyone else feel like this????

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, welcome to the forum! I was diagnosed last Christmas so have spent the past year as a diabetic. I spent the first few weeks post diagnosis in tears and it was a month before I told the family. Fortunately I then found this forum with access to loads of helpful information. I made the decision to follow a low carb high fat eating plan which I have found easy to do (think I'm lucky in this respect). My HbA1c results are now within the 'normal' range, BS readings are always between 5.2 before meals and 6.7 after meals, blood pressure has come down, have lost 18kg and breakdown of cholesterol reading show all are within accepted 'normal' range. Feel better than I have in years as a result! Diabetes needn't be a death sentence - I think this is the assumption - and being a nurse you are obviously aware of complications that may arise. You just need to manage your condition responsibly. Please get yourself formally diagnosed as this will lead you to be able to access other help too - eye tests, foot checks etc. There are many people on this site who are on Metformin which has been beneficial - I'm sure someone will give you more information on this.
Let me know how you get on and please do ask further questions. Lots of people will be only to happy to help.

Reactions: 8 people

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
also, just to add, I feel really ashamed of myself that I let this happen :eek:(
Yes I also had feelings of guilt and shame. I was really embarrassed when I told friends and family but all have been really supportive and interested when I talk about LCHF eating and how it works. Have you got a supportive network around you?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
also, just to add, I feel really ashamed of myself that I let this happen :eek:(

That's understandable but secondary to dealing with it now that you know. Ashamed would be my last emotion but I get it how we react differently. Seen plenty of others have the condition and they don't fit the "profile" but nevertheless, they were diagnosed. You can win this battle as have many MANY others. Stick around and we'll guide you through :)

There's a huge number of people here that'll help.

hchick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes me. I'm not in the profession but I had it gestationally 12 years ago. Then when my doc told me 5 yrs ago that I was now t2 I was the same. If the truth be known I'm still in denial because I feel fine, no side effects. And I love chocolate Being a nurse would make me worse too as you see the complications that this can cause latterly. You know you have to go check it out. Have you done the fasting glucose at work where you drink the horrible syrup?

Kr

H

Reactions: 2 people

curlynurse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That's understandable but secondary to dealing with it now that you know. Ashamed would be my last emotion but I get it how we react differently. Seen plenty of others have the condition and they don't fit the "profile" but nevertheless, they were diagnosed. You can win this battle as have many MANY others. Stick around and we'll guide you through :)

There's a huge number of people here that'll help.
Thank you so much, Im getting too scared to eat "anything", at the moment, in case it does more damage! I know Im being irrational, but Im just so scared, embaressed, and in shock!!!!

curlynurse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes me. I'm not in the profession but I had it gestationally 12 years ago. Then when my doc told me 5 yrs ago that I was now t2 I was the same. If the truth be known I'm still in denial because I feel fine, no side effects. And I love chocolate Being a nurse would make me worse too as you see the complications that this can cause latterly. You know you have to go check it out. Have you done the fasting glucose at work where you drink the horrible syrup?

Kr

H
Not done fasting glucose yet, but my bm was 11 this am, before Id eaten or drank anything!!!

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Thank you so much, Im getting too scared to eat "anything", at the moment, in case it does more damage! I know Im being irrational, but Im just so scared, embaressed, and in shock!!!!

Last thing you need to worry about ....it won't do damage to eat fish (tuna, mackerel etc) eggs (any way you want them), meats, fats, butter, bacon, chicken, nuts, double cream, some berries. The list is endless so we'll get there.

Stay away from high carbs (potatoes, rice, pasta) eat heaps of above ground veg as a heap of people subscribe to what is a LCHF (low carb / hi fat) diet. Do some searching on it here but remember, small steps .... you're new to this (weren't we all?) and we're still here to tell the story. Panic not.

I'll tag @daisy1 who will be along to post some valuable info for new members

Mike

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@curlynurse

Hello and welcome to the forum :) Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

LOW CARB PROGRAM:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/low carb program

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome. Get a proper diagnosis and you will then have an idea of how to start controlling it and this can be done
You are not alone people here can relate to just how you are feeling now but they have got their diabetes under control mostly by just changing the way they eat. No sugar stuff cutting down on starchy carbs and eating meat fish cheese eggs and vegetables just cut down or cut out bread potatoes rice pasta and pizza and you will find your BG will come down but it takes time don't cut out everything all at once slowly is better for the body to get use to it. And remember it is not your fault any one can get diabetes

Reactions: 4 people

Dannyb87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I went 2/3 months of feeling awful trying to perk myself up with energy drinks, glucose tablets, fresh juices, I even started smoking again in an attempt to function, I didn't see a doc until I was hospitalised with DKA.

I won't lie and say I'm happy at my diagnosis but I'm a lot more functional now, I'm learning to control it and I'm getting out more with my daughter.

I have a bad habit of burying my head in the sand and carrying on-but when it comes to your health you can't. It will only get worse the longer you leave it. I would face it now, be done with it & move on-what's the worst that will happen they will confirm your suspicions that you are worrying constantly over anyway?

C

catherinecherub

So as my title says, Im in denial. Havent been to dr`s yet, but checked my urine in work on monday, as I thought I had urine infection, and had 5+++++ of glucose!!! I then did my BM, it was 15.5mmol!! Im a nurse, so was able to test myself. My BM this am, before any food was 11.1mmol. Im scared, [etrified, I know I need to go to doc`s, but I refuse to be a diabetic!!! Did anyone else feel like this????
You are having a normal reaction to an abnormal situation and are not alone. Many forum members go into denial when they are diagnosed and the shock they experience is real.
The best thing you can do is to see your G.P. and get a diagnosis and the support you will get here will help enormously. Don't buy into the blame game and see yourself as the stereotypical person that the media would have us believe but set yourself some goals and manage this condition to the best of your ability. It is manageable and not terminal and once you get things under control you will notice a difference in your thoughts about it.
Any questions then ask away and have a good read around the forum, there is so much information here and remember that this is a marathon as opposed to a sprint.

Take care.

Reactions: 6 people

Goldiespring

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I cried constantly for a week and then on and off for another 2 when I was diagnosed in late August. I felt ashamed too but reading stuff on here and elsewhere and finding that T2 runs through both sides of my family ( unknown to me before) made me realise it was not my fault. I also did not want to eat anything because all food appeared to be a death sentence. I still call refined carbs, ordinary chocolate and cakes - death - it is a joke in my little family now!

I decided to go the low carb route, and harnessed the fear I had into will power! I got my carbs to less than 40g a day using my fitness pal app and logging everything I eat. I started to also count calories and have managed a low cal diet (1000-1200) since then. I also take metformin 500mg twice a day - mainly because I did not believe that I could "go away and lose half your body weight" as kindly suggested by my diagnosing doctor so I requested tablets.

The weight has tumbled off - currently 27Kg and my BS stays between 4.5 and 8 ( the higher end if I allow myself to eat chips or some bread when we go out) I feel better than I have in years! It has been a great wake up call and I intend to continue to eat this way and see where my body ends up!

I have just had my first 3 month check bloods back - my HbA1c has come down from 50 to 37! My Cholesterol still needs some work but is going in the right direction and my blood pressure has come down from 140/80 to 114/65. Use the forum and let us support you through the shock.

rocknrollman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tories,people who like hunting and snobs.Also Pompey fc.
I was the same as you curlynurse.I saw a few signs like needing to wee a lot and feeling tired all the time,but i just put it down to working hard,rather than going to the doctor.Eventually i found time to go.I have a niece and nephew who have type 1 ,so i realised what was happening to me,although i still didnt want to believe it.
Im still coming to terms with it and now i seem to spend more time reading whats in the food,before i eat it.
Im sure i will get it right and im so glad ive found this forum.Theres so much information and help on here and for the first time i know im not alone.Im determined to beat this once ive got my head around what i can and cannot eat.
Good luck curlynurse,im sure things will get better.

Reactions: 6 people

curlynurse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was the same as you curlynurse.I saw a few signs like needing to wee a lot and feeling tired all the time,but i just put it down to working hard,rather than going to the doctor.Eventually i found time to go.I have a niece and nephew who have type 1 ,so i realised what was happening to me,although i still didnt want to believe it.
Im still coming to terms with it and now i seem to spend more time reading whats in the food,before i eat it.
Im sure i will get it right and im so glad ive found this forum.Theres so much information and help on here and for the first time i know im not alone.Im determined to beat this once ive got my head around what i can and cannot eat.
Good luck curlynurse,im sure things will get better.
Thank you for all your kind comments. was in work today, chocolate every where, but I didnt have any at all. Bm was 10, after special k granola and raspberries, and one cup of coffee, so really gutted, and still wont believe it, until I see the blood sugar meter, :eek:(

Reactions: 2 people

curlynurse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You are having a normal reaction to an abnormal situation and are not alone. Many forum members go into denial when they are diagnosed and the shock they experience is real.
The best thing you can do is to see your G.P. and get a diagnosis and the support you will get here will help enormously. Don't buy into the blame game and see yourself as the stereotypical person that the media would have us believe but set yourself some goals and manage this condition to the best of your ability. It is manageable and not terminal and once you get things under control you will notice a difference in your thoughts about it.
Any questions then ask away and have a good read around the forum, there is so much information here and remember that this is a marathon as opposed to a sprint.

Take care.
thank you xxxx

curlynurse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I cried constantly for a week and then on and off for another 2 when I was diagnosed in late August. I felt ashamed too but reading stuff on here and elsewhere and finding that T2 runs through both sides of my family ( unknown to me before) made me realise it was not my fault. I also did not want to eat anything because all food appeared to be a death sentence. I still call refined carbs, ordinary chocolate and cakes - death - it is a joke in my little family now!

I decided to go the low carb route, and harnessed the fear I had into will power! I got my carbs to less than 40g a day using my fitness pal app and logging everything I eat. I started to also count calories and have managed a low cal diet (1000-1200) since then. I also take metformin 500mg twice a day - mainly because I did not believe that I could "go away and lose half your body weight" as kindly suggested by my diagnosing doctor so I requested tablets.

The weight has tumbled off - currently 27Kg and my BS stays between 4.5 and 8 ( the higher end if I allow myself to eat chips or some bread when we go out) I feel better than I have in years! It has been a great wake up call and I intend to continue to eat this way and see where my body ends up!

I have just had my first 3 month check bloods back - my HbA1c has come down from 50 to 37! My Cholesterol still needs some work but is going in the right direction and my blood pressure has come down from 140/80 to 114/65. Use the forum and let us support you through the shock.
thank you xxx

curlynurse

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Thank you xx

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

Firstly, wanted to check that you are sure you are T2?
You have that on your profile, but without seeing a doc, you can't yet be sure. So please bear that in mind, and get yourself checked out asap.

Secondly, welcome to the club. We all go through this, and the denial and horror that 'I let this happen' is a perfectly understandable reaction, but believe me, it passes.

As a nurse, I expect you are immersed in the standard doctrine that type 2 is caused by bad eating, being fat, and not taking enough exercise. Most NHS staff believe this. So does the media. So do most newly diagnosed T2s.

But the longer you stick around this forum, the more you will realise that not only are some T2s slim, active and on good diets, there are a heck of a lot of other factors at play. I am a reasonably active T2 with an excellent diet - yet I am still fat. Genetics, environment, other health conditions, etc. all play a part.

Diet and exercise are fundamental to handling T2, but the more I understand about this condition, the more I realise that the root cause (insulin resistance) almost always happens before the lethargy, tiredness, lack of exercise, lazy eating and excess weight which are a result of the insulin resistance. It is not laziness, apathy, or greed that causes T2. People start on the road to T2 when they are slim and active. The rest is a symptom, not a cause.

Of course, it doesn't help that the diet of healthy carbs, so loved by the NHS is really not a good idea for someone who is carb sensitive enough to have developed T2.