New ketone breathalyzer gadget!

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
I'm so excited by this, it's a new ketosis (or ketoacidosis) detection device. Instead of urinating on a stick (like ketostix), or testing your blood (like the Optium Neo) this device measures the ketones on your breath. The advantage is that once you've bought it, you don't have to buy more strips.

It costs about $150 - but apparently it is reusable and more reliable than urine tests. I think that makes it viable financial proposition for T1 diabetics and T2 low-carbers who want a more reliable method of testing for ketones. The blood testing machines are good - but the strips cost about £1 a test, which is expensive for habitual testers.

The coloured lights change depending on your ketone levels:
  • Blue = 0 – 150 nmol/L
  • Green = 150 – 400 nmol/L (Small)
  • Yellow = 400 – 930 nmol/L (Moderate)
  • Red = > 930 nmol/L (Large)
Ketonix.png

I've ordered mine. Should be here in a few days, I'll let you know how I get on.

http://www.ketonix.com/
http://bjjcaveman.com/2014/03/01/review-ketonix-acetone-breathalyzer-initial-impressions/

Reactions: 13 people

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Awesome!! :happy: That would pay for itself in less than a year and if I invested in one it may stop me getting a b*llocking from my wife when I forget to bin my used Ketostix strips and leave 'em lying around in the en-suite!:woot::)

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Awesome!! :happy: That would pay for itself in less than a year and if I invested in one it may stop me getting a b*llocking from my wife when I forget to bin my used Ketostix strips and leave 'em lying around in the en-suite!:woot::)

I found a "purple one" in the bath earlier this week. I'm sure that I threw it in the toilet. I have no idea how it got out. I don't want to know.

Reactions: 3 people

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Andy12345 I'm going to get my wife to hold it out for me when I run pass her in the marathon! Ketone checking as I run!

Reactions: 5 people

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
you must have good aim, to hit that little strip as you run past:watching:

Ha ha!

The aim isn't great, but the coverage is extensive. I'm sure a few drops will hit the target.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If the coverage is that good, with a bit of luck it will be raining and no one will notice a few extra drops on their face

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
drops? i thought you breathed into it not pee`d on it?

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Eugh! That's horrible! Your poor wife LOL

Smidge

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Then Hale certainly won't like it if it's smaller than a normal urine sample tube:nailbiting:
(See her blog!)

I haven't seen Hale's blog, so no idea what her issue is, but I have to report that my diabetes clinic has downsized the pee pots - maybe an NHS cost-saving measure - who knows? They now have an opening about the size of a 2p coin. How on earth are you supposed to pee in that???

Smidge

Reactions: 2 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
I haven't seen Hale's blog, so no idea what her issue is, but I have to report that my diabetes clinic has downsized the pee pots - maybe an NHS cost-saving measure - who knows? They now have an opening about the size of a 2p coin. How on earth are you supposed to pee in that???

Smidge
Either a funnel and/or very carefully:D

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Thanks for sharing this. I'll be very interested to know how you get on. Have you spread any review on it yet?

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks for sharing this. I'll be very interested to know how you get on. Have you spread any review on it yet?

It hasn't arrived yet, it's coming from Sweden, so it should hopefully arrive early next week. I'll post a review which compares breath vs blood vs urine.

Reactions: 6 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I'm so excited by this, it's a new ketosis (or ketoacidosis) detection device. Instead of urinating on a stick (like ketostix), or testing your blood (like the Optium Neo) this device measures the ketones on your breath. The advantage is that once you've bought it, you don't have to buy more strips.

It costs about $150 - but apparently it is reusable and more reliable than urine tests. I think that makes it viable financial proposition for T1 diabetics and T2 low-carbers who want a more reliable method of testing for ketones. The blood testing machines are good - but the strips cost about £1 a test, which is expensive for habitual testers.

The coloured lights change depending on your ketone levels:
  • Blue = 0 – 150 nmol/L
  • Green = 150 – 400 nmol/L (Small)
  • Yellow = 400 – 930 nmol/L (Moderate)
  • Red = > 930 nmol/L (Large)
Ketonix.png

I've ordered mine. Should be here in a few days, I'll let you know how I get on.

http://www.ketonix.com/
http://bjjcaveman.com/2014/03/01/review-ketonix-acetone-breathalyzer-initial-impressions/
Looks great but had a quick look at instructions and step 1 is connect to a USB port. Is this just to charge it up initially or is it every time ?

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Looks great but had a quick look at instructions and step 1 is connect to a USB port. Is this just to charge it up initially or is it every time ?

I think it's every time, which is a pity - although you can easily get portable USB "batteries" if you wanted to carry it around (although it'd be more kit for your man bag).

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
That's a bit of a shame, still a good find and big money saver though.

There is no reason that it couldn't be. Remember only suckers early-adopt this stuff. Much better to wait for v2.

Reactions: 2 people