New LADA 1.5 diabetic sharing his experiences

sololite

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
I am sharing my tale in case it is of any comfort or use to someone in a similar position. I am 56 year old guy in fairly good shape weighing 12 stone with BMI in normal range for my age/height/weight. At 50 I took a well man clinic blood test at my GP and was told I could turn type 2 if I didn’t change my diet and lifestyle. At that point I was nearly two stone heavier and not doing as much exercise as I should (my job is largely desk based).

After three months of straight and narrow diet I gradually slipped back into my old ways and carried on for next few years over eating and drinking. My weight would rise to 14 stone at Christmas and I would knock it back by a stone each January through strict diet but it would slowly creep back up over the year.

Two years ago I started to do a lot more exercise in the form of cycling and get my over indulging under control. From this January (2016) I found it much easier to lose weight than previously and quickly got down from 13.5 stone to 12 stone. By luck and out of curiosity in June 2016 I dug out an old blood glucose test kit to see if I was normal (I hadn’t used it in intervening years) and got a big shock which sent me scurrying to the doctors and some blood tests.

These came back with the diagnosis that I was Type 2. I was put on Metformin and started to cut my carbs and do even more cycling in an effort to get my blood glucose down. Alas, the only way to get ’normal’ scores was to nearly starve myself and cycle for miles and miles each day. Something didn’t feel right with the diagnosis to me and my lovely diabetic nurse agreed.

I didn’t seem to have any of the symptoms she expected and started to talk about possibility of Type 1.5. A new set of blood tests were arranged and in August 2016 I was declared LADA Type 1.5.

I was taken off Metformin and inject 4 units of Levemir before I go to bed. I understand this is something called basal insulin and is designed to help out the cells in my pancreas that are gradually being picked off by my auto-immune system.

Interestingly, I have had very few symptoms that could have led me to suspect anything was awry over the last few months. Maybe I was occasionally peeing a bit more at night, a couple of times I gulped down 4-5 pints of beer because I was thirsty and that was it.

Luckily my desk job came to an end and I am able to spend a lot of time exercising. I don’t feel I have found the right diet for me yet but hopefully will get that sorted soon. I am positive, hugely grateful to our wonderful NHS and count myself lucky that this was spotted at all instead of sailing towards a calamity.

If anyone would get comfort from sharing their experience or picking my brains I am more than willing to help.

kind regards,

Chris

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Very Interesting. Many similarities to myself. Have you tried a low carb diet. Have you read / heard about dr Bernstein and his diabetic solution?

sololite

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
Your story is very interesting . Which specific tests were you given that led for the reappraisal of you from type 2 to 1.5?

Maybe you once were type2? Or were you misdiagnosed type 2 at first?
Hi Contralto, thanks for taking an interest. I will get a copy of the blood test results and publish here. As you can imagine its all very knew terminology to me so am only just getting to grips with what the various indicators mean. regards, Chris

Reactions: Ian DP

sololite

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
Very Interesting. Many similarities to myself. Have you tried a low carb diet. Have you read / heard about dr Bernstein and his diabetic solution?
Hi Ian,
I recognise your avatar from other posts I have been reading on here, thanks for taking an interest. I am becoming aware of the low carb high fat phenomenon and plan to get up to speed with it.
kind regards,
Chris

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for sharing this. As someone who's still diagnosed prediabetic, but is having some similar experiences to those I read here (thin, fit, losing weight, unable to be helped fully by very low carb + metformin), it's helpful to read these diagnosis stories to get an idea of the range of things that might happen.

sololite

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
Your story is very interesting . Which specific tests were you given that led for the reappraisal of you from type 2 to 1.5?

Maybe you once were type2? Or were you misdiagnosed type 2 at first?

I just got a copy of the blood tests which shows my Glutamic Acid decarboxylase IgB Ab score was 1874 and is described as abnormal. My diabetes nurse tells me this relates to the antibodies attacking my beta cells in my pancreas - I hope I am quoting her correctly.

sololite

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for sharing this. As someone who's still diagnosed prediabetic, but is having some similar experiences to those I read here (thin, fit, losing weight, unable to be helped fully by very low carb + metformin), it's helpful to read these diagnosis stories to get an idea of the range of things that might happen.
You are welcome, feel free to ask any questions