New medication.

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat, meat substitutes and fish
I went back to the doctors today following blood tests last week. HbA1c has gone down to 37. But he has put my blood pressure tablet (Amlodipine up to 10mg and a statin Artorvastatin 40mg once a day) Not sure how I feel about the statin as I have read so many conflicting reports but on the plus side my Glicazide has been reduced to 20mg. The doctor wants a blood test in 3 months so might take the statin and wait for results.

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
That number is fantastic, well done, lass!

I will see a GP on Tuesday and no doubt he will argue the case for statins yet again. I refused to take them and havn't heard the last of it since. Do some research into the whole cholesterol/statin issue because this is a controversial question that only you can decide on. Kendrick and Cummins have great YouTube vids about it. Good luck and again, well done.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you know what the breakdown of your cholesterol was? HDL/LDL/triglycerides? What was the total, not that it matters.
These figures are essential to know before deciding on statins.

Brilliant HbA1c! :)

Reactions: James1968

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks Guzzler, I have the prescription, does not mean I will take it but my cholesterol is at 7 which is high, my trigs are high at 3.3, my mum had high cholesterol. Mine has not reduced since being diagnosed T2 despite diet change so maybe it is the card I have been dealt in life.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Guzzler, I have the prescription, does not mean I will take it but my cholesterol is at 7 which is high, my trigs are high at 3.3, my mum had high cholesterol. Mine has not reduced since being diagnosed T2 despite diet change so maybe it is the card I have been dealt in life.

High cholesterol can be genetic and trigs at 3.3 are high.
However, did you fast for the test? If you didn't, your trig score could be skewed in an upward direction. We should always fast for cholesterol tests, even though we may have been told not to bother.

Reactions: Hammer1964

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
High cholesterol can be genetic and trigs at 3.3 are high.
However, did you fast for the test? If you didn't, your trig score could be skewed in an upward direction. We should always fast for cholesterol tests, even though we may have been told not to bother.

I was told not fasting but as it was 8 am I had had a coffee but nothing else.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told not fasting but as it was 8 am I had had a coffee but nothing else.

If there was cream or milk in the coffee, or anything fatty, this won't have helped your trigs score. Next time you are tested it would be wise to stick to water beforehand. 2.3 is the score to be under if not fasted. 1.7 if fasted.

Last edited: