New member just told I have type 2

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Got a monitor yesterday, was 10.8 when I went to bed last night, bloods this morning was 6.7 tested again 2hrs later after breakfast and was 6.1 which seems strange, had weetabix and coffee

Have you recently started on some diabetes drugs, or stop drinking a lot of sugar rich drinks? If so you BG may be going down each day regardless of what you eat - but this will not continue without controlling what you eat.

A drop 2hr after you get up is normal whatever you have for breakfast, maybe the 10.8 was due to a lot of carbs the day before. Personly I would replace the Weetabix with an egg (or two), as we know eggs have much fewer carbs.

Discopants9

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Have you recently started on some diabetes drugs, or stop drinking a lot of sugar rich drinks? If so you BG may be going down each day regardless of what you eat - but this will not continue without controlling what you eat.

A drop 2hr after you get up is normal whatever you have for breakfast, maybe the 10.8 was due to a lot of carbs the day before. Personly I would replace the Weetabix with an egg (or two), as we know eggs have much fewer carbs.

Wonder if this was it, just had a bbq and had burger, sausage and salad done bloods 2hrs later and again they have fell went from 5.6 to 5.2, i was started on 500 Metformin on Tuesday, I have cut out virtually all sugar and trying to keep carbs under 100g daily, dread to think the carb count previously

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sounds great, if all your post meal BG (2hr or sooner) is under 6 you are doing very well:) Just keep it like that for the rest of your life.

If you don't get side effects from Metformin you might as well take it for life, otherwise talk to your GP after your next set of blood tests.

Reactions: Discopants9

layladream

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi All,

Was just diagnosed on Tuesday with type 2, reading was 51 on the blood test, doc has put me on 500mg of metaforim for 1 week and then to increase it by one tablet every week with the aim to be on 4 tablets a day be week 4. So now i am just ploughing through multitudes of sites, tbh its all overwhelming and hard to take it, what diet to follow, what foods you can and cant eat, do I test blood etc
Glad I have found this site and hopefully it will help but finding it hard to figure out what I should do next, Doc seemed to think I should just concentrate on the tablets and he will see me again in a month and go into more details with me, he has also referred me to a clinic/group but no spaces/courses till Oct
Hi, I'm newly diagnosed too and, like you, I'm on metformin. I started at 500 but on now on 750 and will increase to 1000. It's making me feel yucky but that's getting easier. My nurse pointed me to this site and I am so glad she did! I've started the low carb program and it's helping me learn about the carbs I can eat. I did ask about self testing but was told no. As we're moving soon, I've decided to ask about that at my new surgery and if it's no from them too I'll be buying a meter myself. I feel that being tested in 4 months time and then not for another year isn't going to help me manage the diabetes. I want to understand what is going on with my body and how best to help it manage the diabetes.
You'll get there, just like I'm learning to and others have learnt how to. Best wishes!

Reactions: Discopants9

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@layladream I'm afraid you will more than lucky to be given a prescription for test strips. NICE is very clear on this. Only for insulin users and those on drugs that can cause a hypo if they drive or work machinery, but not otherwise. You could be given a meter from their spare stock, but would find the test strips very expensive. Rather than wait, I would urge you to buy one for yourself and start testing as soon as possible.

Last edited: