sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi Koukla

Where's my manners, I forgot to say welcome!

Most T2s don't get test gear from the GP, we buy them and test as much as we like - this is how we gauge our responses to different foods and so lower/control our levels. The SD Codefree is a popular choice from Amazon and elsewhere.

Dawn phenomenon is when the liver does various housekeeping activities before we wake. You can find out more about it on this site, on www.dietdoctor.com or via Google. It affects us all and is not easy to control - fasting BGs are often one of the last things we get under control.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
whoever told you 4 is wrong, normal is under 5.5 of a morning, and non or pre-diabetic is under 7
your home meter has a +/- 20% inaccuracy so an average 6.2 to 7.9 is about 7 and I think you can get that down to 6 with diet in a short time.

you should be testing after meals as well, if you can afford it, I'd buy more strips, or do what a lot here do and buy code free off amazon
a good site worth reading
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php

there are 2 sets of numbers the A1c average 49/6.6% is average 8 mmol/l on your meter

49 is still A1c 6.6%, when you're double that and are in the teens [13%] it's time to be worried

K

koukla

Hi Koukla

Most T2s don't get test gear from the GP, we buy them and test as much as we like - this is how we gauge our responses to different foods and so lower/control our levels. The SD Codefree is a popular choice from Amazon and elsewhere.

Dawn phenomenon is when the liver does various housekeeping activities before we wake. You can find out more about it on this site, on www.dietdoctor.com or via Google. It affects us all and is not easy to control - fasting BGs are often one of the last things we get under control.

Is it possible that we're in different countries? I'm in the UK and it appears to be the norm here. I'm shocked at just testing my blood a few minutes ago and getting a glucose reading of 6.2 even though I haven't eaten for 23 hours. I don't like this at all.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just tested my blood now. Very naughty as I've been told not to.

My blood glucose is 6.2 and I haven't eaten for 23 hours now.
your liver will dump sugar into your blood for the next month
mate. go make yourself something to eat, cook up a decent meal or you will just make yourself ill
egg omelet = zero carbs
meat = zero carbs

Reactions: 2 people
K

koukla

whoever told you 4 is wrong, normal is under 5.5 of a morning, and non or pre-diabetic is under 7
your home meter has a +/- 20% inaccuracy so an average 6.2 to 7.9 is about 7 and I think you can get that down to 6 with diet in a short time.

you should be testing after meals as well, if you can afford it, I'd buy more strips, or do what a lot here do and buy code free off amazon
a good site worth reading
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php

there are 2 sets of numbers the A1c average 49/6.6% is average 8 mmol/l on your meter

49 is still A1c 6.6%, when you're double that and are in the teens [13%] it's time to be worried

Thank you for explaining that. I really have so much to learn about this.

K

koukla

your liver will dump sugar into your blood for the next month
mate. go make yourself something to eat, cook up a decent meal or you will just make yourself ill
egg omelet = zero carbs
meat = zero carbs

I just don't understand this about the liver at all. I don't think my Dr is telling me much. I'll get something to eat. Thank you so much.

Anie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also forgot the other thing. I was told that being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes wipes an immediate 10 years off your lifespan, so add this to the other illnesses I've got and I'm afraid I'm going to drop dead at any minute. Very afraid.
So your gp has a crystal ball does he? No one knows how long someone is going to live. It isn't very professional either.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. You've already been given a lot of info from the other posters. To be told to aim for a fasting sugar level of 4 is simply wrong. At that level you would be not far from going hypo. The target range is somewhere between 5 to 7. Because of the Dawn Phenomenon a fasting test is not of much value. Of far more value is the reading 2 hours after a meal and if you can afford the strips test just before the meal as well to compare the change. I would suggest you buy more strips yourself off the web and test a bit more frequently. Your current blood sugar readings are not at all bad so your diabetes is not very advanced. Yes, follow the other posters advice and keep the carbs down. Have as much protein and veg as you like and you can be fairly free with the fats; preferably good unsaturated fats. NHS dietary advice for diabetics normally varies from poor to very poor so be aware of that.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi, Welcome :)

i agree with the others, go and eat!!!!

then come back here with a full belly, you have an awful lot to take in

we all cried, this is normal! there are alot of emotions to get through, but dont worry, take a breath, you are not about to drop dead! with the proper advice (not the stoopid advice your health care professionals have offered) theres no reason not to live long happy life, diabetes can often become a blessing in disguise, sounds weird but trust me its possible, we all know where you are at and are here to help you get through this.

test.... very important and testing once a day is insane! it tells you very little, you need to be testing before eating and 2 hours afterwards, this can be expensive so thats why the sd code free meter and strips have been suggested as they are cheaper to fund, if i were going to miss a test a day it would be the early morning one, your liver is dumping glucose because it thinks it will help you get ready for the day

carbs carbs carbs.... we dont need them for energy, its almost impossible to cut them out completely but a huge reduction is very helpful

Helsin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome Koukla,

Take Jack412's advice immediately and eat something. 23 hours fasting is no way to get your blood glucose under control - no wonder you're crying! Then, when you have something in your stomach, you can take a deep breath and read all our stories. We're all trying our best to help each other, learn from others' mistakes and successes and find ways to keep healthier for longer.

I haven't got any deep wisdom myself (I'm still quite new and struggling to get my weight down, even with low carb), but I do feel much clearer-headed and generally 'well' already. I'm trying hard to get more exercise and haven't smoked for about 10 days now with the help of e-cigs. All quite painless so far and I am looking forward to my sugar free jelly with berries and cream after my chicken tonight.

Reactions: 3 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
see when times seem at their darkest, you hear you can eat jelly and cream :D life isnt so bad

Reactions: 3 people

Helsin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Exactly my philosophy Andy12345. When life deals you lemons ... squeeze the juice out of half of one, add a little sweetener, beat with double cream and serve with raspberries.

Reactions: 4 people

Anie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
see when times seem at their darkest, you hear you can eat jelly and cream :D life isnt so bad
Just what I'm having for dinner (pudding)

Also, if you make a jelly up to half a pint and the when it has cooled a little whisk in a yoghurt muller light ones are good, then you have an alternative. Might not be totally sugar free (can't find a yoghurt that is) but given that you aren't going to eat the whole lot then I've always found it ok.

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Hi koukla. don't go 23 hours without eating you will make yourself feerl worse. Listen to what jack 412 said about food. try to eat regular meals 3 times a day and avoid snacks if you can. 49 is not very high. I was nearly 70 when diagnosed in march. you need to test before and after meals to find out what foods suit you. Testing in the morning just tells you what your blood glucose level is, not how to reduce it.

K

koukla

Hi Koukla

He gave me 100 testing strips and 100 lancets and a GlucoMen machine...".thingy" I've just eaten my eggs and had a look on Amazon as it wouldn't be a problem to change, though my Dr might not like it. Thank you for the welcome and for the advice too. I'm very grateful.

K

koukla

Hi and welcome. You've already been given a lot of info from the other posters. To be told to aim for a fasting sugar level of 4 is simply wrong. At that level you would be not far from going hypo. The target range is somewhere between 5 to 7. Because of the Dawn Phenomenon a fasting test is not of much value. Of far more value is the reading 2 hours after a meal and if you can afford the strips test just before the meal as well to compare the change. I would suggest you buy more strips yourself off the web and test a bit more frequently. Your current blood sugar readings are not at all bad so your diabetes is not very advanced. Yes, follow the other posters advice and keep the carbs down. Have as much protein and veg as you like and you can be fairly free with the fats; preferably good unsaturated fats. NHS dietary advice for diabetics normally varies from poor to very poor so be aware of that.

Thank you Diabell. I've just eaten my eggs and so I shall test at 21.00 and see what I get.

K

koukla

Hi, Welcome :)

i agree with the others, go and eat!!!!

then come back here with a full belly, you have an awful lot to take in

we all cried, this is normal! there are alot of emotions to get through, but dont worry, take a breath, you are not about to drop dead! with the proper advice (not the stoopid advice your health care professionals have offered) theres no reason not to live long happy life, diabetes can often become a blessing in disguise, sounds weird but trust me its possible, we all know where you are at and are here to help you get through this.

test.... very important and testing once a day is insane! it tells you very little, you need to be testing before eating and 2 hours afterwards, this can be expensive so thats why the sd code free meter and strips have been suggested as they are cheaper to fund, if i were going to miss a test a day it would be the early morning one, your liver is dumping glucose because it thinks it will help you get ready for the day

carbs carbs carbs.... we dont need them for energy, its almost impossible to cut them out completely but a huge reduction is very helpful

That's so helpful thank you so much. I shall test at 21.00 but I'm not sure, in fact I've no idea what figure I'm aiming for 2 hours after eating !!