New pill for T2

Lilliepop

Reading today about a new pill for T2 I was wondering has anyone got any views on it? You might think I'm being suspicous but I was thinking to myself the other day I bet there will be a new pill out soon for diabetics. A new wonder drug. I'm very suspicious about money making drug companies as there seems to be an epidemic with diabetes.

I think they put the hype out there then find the cure, if that is so they will be making a shed load of money. Maybe I'm being cynical.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you talking about Farxiga (dapaglifozin). That was licenced recently for use in USA but can't find anything about it for the UK. Or is there another one?

alliebee

Hi. I've been on this just 2 weeks. Gapaglifloxin (forgaxia). My gp hadn't even heard of it. A dr friend told me. It has brought my levels down so much I've been able to stop fast acting novorapid.....I've also lost 4 lbs too..I used to wake up very often at 8 or 9. 2 days on it and I was getting readings of 4 and 5. ..I'm very impressed

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

alaska

The new pill is canagliflozin and it's product name is Invokana. The pill has been launched in the UK and NICE are currently reviewing it. It stands a decent chance of being approved as Forxiga (dapagliflozin), a drug that acts in a very similar way, has already been approved for use on the NHS.

These drugs can help lower blood sugar and some patients have reported rapid weight loss.

The negative points are that it raises risk of urinary tract infections and thrush. The long term safety of the drug in humans really can't be spoken for yet as these are very new medications and the drug is currently being reviewed for kidney safety.

Previous trial data has shown that canagliflozin reduced kidney function (eGFR) in patients taking the drug compared with a placebo.
Comparison of percentage change in renal function (i.e., eGFR) from baseline between treatment groups showed a higher proportion of patients with decrease in eGFR and a larger magnitude of decline in eGFR in patients receiving canagliflozin compared to placebo, in both eGFR<40 and >=40 mL/min/1.73m2 groups.
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/nda/2013/204042Orig1s000ClinPharmR.pdf

My advice to anyone on these treatments (canagliflozin or dapaglifozin) would be to have your kidney function checked regularly. I'd want to have my kidney function checked at least every 6 months to monitor whether kidney function is significantly declining or not.

Reactions: 2 people

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Haven't heard of the new one but started forxiga last week and I am reducing my insulin every other day. Any drug is worth a go in my opinion - especially when it works.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I've been losing weight recently anyway - 19lbs in 6 weeks. I've been told that this tablet should make that easier - but I will wait and see. I've been prescribed 5mg tablets to be upped to 10mg tablets after the first month. The other side-effect is going to the loo lots and lots, you definitely need to keep your water intake up!

jayice11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all I started 10mg of forxiga today, really got everything crossed that this helps to do the trick, next step insulin :( tried most of the daily jabs, all worked great for a while then tailed off.