New Regs

TonyTruthful

Hi guys,

Just a quick one with ref to the new driving licence renewal regs.

When I re-apply for my 3 year restricted licence next year will I have to supply 3 month’s worth of BGs?

I’m not the greatest when it comes to testing and may only test a few times a week.

Ta
Tony

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Now don't let me put ideas in your mind, but who actually checks the figures supplied against say a very recent HbA1c? If my licence depended on a good batch of recent test figures, they would get them... :wink: :thumbup:

TonyTruthful

Hi Hobs,

Thanks for the prompt supply. After reading a few posts after Oct 12’ it was looking like it was going that way. I can ensure I have 3 months of BG’s prior to application now I know.

If it was renewal date tomorrow I would be screwed!

Not sure how you could make them up as someone was saying you have to have them on a metre that cannot be deleted. I know with that IBGstar u can just add them in oww wait a minute….

Thanks,
Tony

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Anybody not testing before getting behind a driving wheel is putting your and other lives at risk... Its a no brainer.

Making up tests? Are you mad? Why cant you just test.

I almost lost my licence, because I had done a test before I got into car, went for 50 min walk with my dogs and got back in to drive home. I thought I was safe as dvla said to test every 2 hours whilst driving. I went hypo, i pulled over and treated myself... And many, many people here went through a lot of **** here with me thinking I was going to lose my licence. Mine wasnt poking my fingers up to the world and being a naughty diabetic.... I thought as less than 2 hrs I could get back into car. I was lucky, very lucky, i recognise hypo's, I stopped and treated...

You are just being bloody minded by all accounts because you cant be bothered to test.

Yes, hospitals and gp's can and do ask to look at meters, pumps, and record books..

It states quite clearly what you are expected to do, and yes, hcp's can review all equipment.

I really cant understand your postings on being a naughty diabetic, or this one on driving and testing. I think it is about time you looked at some postings here on how much some people do care about their diabetes...

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I agree with with donnallydogs above why make up your test results cos if anything did happen while you are behind the wheel you are not only putting your life in danger you are also putting others in danger. I had my licence revoked 3 years ago due to me having quite a few hypos, i had to send off 3 months blood glucose results and the DVLA told me i could re-apply when i go 3 months without a low sugar now being a type 1 that can be pretty impossible . But to be honest with you i'm glad they done what they done as i am now having regular hypos without no warnings. But i don't miss driving i got myself a consessionary bus pass and its brill well worth its weight in gold to me.

tracey167

TonyTruthful

To be fair I use public transport to commute to work mon to fri and when I use my motor vehicle I have always tested.(I share a car and sometimes use at weekend) Last three months however I may have 20 tests with 50% those being prob being <4 and that's not going to look very good.

My second post was born out of frustration with yet more rules and was supposed to be light hearted.

I take it that's its only me then...

TonyTruthful

For the avoidance of all doubt if you don't test before you get behind the wheel you don't deserve to have a license. I don't want to dispute that.

Just wanted to highlight that we need to be careful and make sure you have your books up to date. You don't want to be caught out by these darn EU directives. Bloody EU!

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
TonyTruthful said:
Just wanted to highlight that we need to be careful and make sure you have your books up to date. You don't want to be caught out by these darn EU directives. Bloody EU!
Tony, without appearing pro-EU,the problem is often not with the EU directive, but how the plonkers in Westminster (and Swansea) mis-apply them.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
TonyTruthful said:
I’m not the greatest when it comes to testing and may only test a few times a week.

It's a small price to pay for a 3 year license Tony T, nearly all meters come with the software to download so you can present them to your gp/consultant, I currently use the Bayer Contour USB meter which you just plug straight into your laptop/desktop pc.

TonyTruthful

I have a few meters (all of them Optimum Xceed) and I was collating them all back to the IBGstar app on the Iphone. Really good app but a little bit complicated and time consuming. :shifty:

mbudzi

I've been scouting around for the guidance about needing 3 months worth of data when you reapply for the licence ... I cant find it - not very internet/research savvy! Can anyone point me at it?

Bombshell13

Just to add its only if you are unable to recognise hypo symptoms or need assistance during a hypo that you have a problem. As long as you are safe and careful with your blood sugars when driving you will be fine. We all have hypos!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mrndnn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had to renew my 3 yearly last year. I was not asked to provide any results, nor did I. I had to answer re frequency of hypos and confirm that I always test before I drive - even on a return trip, I test before starting each way. I keep something easily to hand while driving, and if any sign of beginning to hypo (v rare) I find somewhere to stop legit and treat - then test again before starting. Hassle? A bit - but nothing major and far better than the risks. PLUS - if you take any steps to mislead DVLA and something happens, you may find your insurance has been invalidated, and you are uninsured. I am lucky - I do not hypo often - even less so during the daytime - and am type 2. But for anyone, the risks of behaving otherwise are just not worth it - to you or anyone else on the road.

tony48738

I got my license back this week, 3 year restricted. I just filled in the forms that came through the post, and sent them back. It took about 3 weeks to my license back, I guess they checked with my surgery if what I had written on the forms was correct, but straight forward. I didn't have to give any of my readings either.

Sharon Guy

I am having lessons and will take my test at the beginning of May.

I always test before a lesson and I informed my instructor of my diabetes so he is aware. I am a bit concerned about test day as I will be driving from 10am until 3pm with the actual test at 1.35pm. I am thinking I need to take some lunch with me and test before I eat it and again before the test begins to be absolutly certain that I wont take a dive during the test.
I dont want to fail due to a hypo!!!

Sharon Guy

Yes I guess so. My usual lesson is two hours so I would guess we will have a two hour lesson then a break for lunch then the test. I will just make sure I test often - I am usually high but will take every precaution.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App