NEW SHOES / BLISTERS / COMPEED WARNING..

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
Well hello, I hope my post find everyone well,

I've just bought new shoes and wore them Monday and Tuesday to attend some business meetings. I felt the rub Monday and, like a fool, ignored it. Last night when I got changed I saw two different areas of redness and the skin was broken on one of them.

Double fool, I ignored it again and didn't dress or cover up the site. Woke up this morning and there is a small hole in my ankle about the size of a sweetener, no blood or ooze just redness around the site. I reached for the compeed and, for the first time ever, read the instructions and was warned off as a db and message says talk to a doctor which I took as a do not use message.

I've put some germoline on with a normal plaster, I have to say its been on my mind today as I know foot care is part of our regime but that's all I know.

Can anyone tell me what standard operating procedure is for an ' injury' like this, what I should watch for and if and when to seek medical review.

I'm trying not to be a drama queen here, it's probably just a blister that'll go way in two days, but I lost my brother last year who was an undiagnosed T1 for years, had a foot blister, the GP missed the alarm, he ended up in hospital with stunning news that amputation was needed. I suppose that's what the worry is and I truly don't want to worry anyone else with what's probably a bit of trivia, I'd just want to be sure. Kind regards, Q..

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Seek professional advice if unsure or the redness/blister gets worse.

I would keep it well covered up when wearing shoes but let the air at it when sitting at home watching tv, you might want to mention it to your pharmacist and see if they can suggest a suitable dressing or cream.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The warnings on compeed actually apply to all plasters, not just compeed. There is nothing specific to compeed which makes them less suitable for diabetics, they are merely suggesting that diabetics should have any wounds in feet checked due to the risk of complications resulting from infections.

Personally I use them all the time when hillwalking, but I have no issues with my feet, still very sensitive and good blood flow.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people

2christine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
watch your Bg levels carefully over the next few days ,healing, takes place in warmth and moisture just as bacteria does. but Ideal bg levels will help.

Reactions: 3 people

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I use Compeed on both feet week in week out. I put them on as a preventative measure when I'm playing basketball.

Without 'em, I get MASSIve blisters on teh ball of my foot due to all of the quick (well, not so quick!) changes of direction n B'ball...

Reactions: 4 people

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
I asked my GP why firms put a warning regarding Diabetes on foot products, he said they were covering their backs !