New to Insulin - is this a side effect?

salh

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All
I've been diagnosed diabetic for the past five years. I started off on Metformin but had unpleasant side effects so my doctor at the time took me off them and said to just try diet. About three years ago we moved health authority and I was very poorly and my new GP put me back on Metformin - but this time I was fine. Everything was fine until last year when my blood glucose went sky high for no reason - in fact my lifestyle had become healthier! I was put on Sitagliptin alongside the Metformin but it had no affect. The Sitagliptin was changed to Liraglutide and although my weight started to come down my blood glucose continued to rise. Gliclizide was added to the mix. My meds were raised until I was on 160mg Gliclizide, 2000mg Metformin and 1.8 of Liraglutide daily. My last 3 month test showed me at 93 mmol the worst it's ever been.

So, last week I saw the diabetic nurse practitioner and she raised the Gliclizide to 320mg, kept the Metformin and has added in 12 units of Humulin insulin (Isophane). I don't know if this is a side effect or not, but ever since I started on the Humulin on Thursday approx half an hour after having my injection I have a really bad upset tummy and have to run to the toilet two to three times. Is this the insulin or just my IBS playing up? I've had different things to eat each evening and that's been at least 3 hours before taking my insulin. Has this happened to anyone else?

Thank you for your time
Sal

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I've never been on insulin so I can't answer your question. But I want to say welcome to the forum anyway, and to mention that there are more types of diabetes than just type 1 and type 2. It's possible you might have a different type. There is info about this here:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/which-type-of-diabetes.html

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Liraglutide is know to have some side effects. Gliclazide and Sitaglitptin appear to rarely have any side effects of note; same for Metformin SR. Insulin is also pretty good with regard to side effects. If it was me I would continue with a low-carb diet to get the weight down and try to wean myself off the Liraglutide moving towards the best insulin regime to meet your needs. If you still have excess weight then you may have be a mix or T1 and T2. Get the weight down and things should become clearer.

M

mrspuddleduck

I'm on Humulin I, I had exactly the same problem for about three weeks when I started and then everything calmed down. I do find I get less of a 'tummy effect' if I inject in the thigh rather than the stomach but that just may be me!!! Sue xxxx

salh

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for all your replies - especially mrspuddleduck - I will give thigh injections ago to see if it helps!

Daibell I never had any side effects when I was on Liraglutide but I am not on it now, it was swapped for the Humulin - sorry if that wasn't clear in my post. The only time I have ever had any side effects was when I was first diagnosed several years ago and was first put on Metformin. I have always eaten a low-carb vegetarian diet, I don't actually carry very much excess weight especially not for my height but did experience a little weight gain due to other medication I have to take for other illnesses.

I will definitely give the link a look CatLadyNZ as we are not convinced that I am a type 2.