New to the forum

Mimi

Hello Helpful people!

I was diagnosed type 2 two years ago and seemed to get the hang of things but then I had a really bad case of 'why me?' and was eating more of the wrong things than before I was diagnosed. This lasted about 8 months when my Hb1aC went from 6.1 to 8.1. I've spent the last 6 months getting back on track and my last Hb1aC was a 6.0! I was really happy with that. Does anyone get down to, and stay at, the mythological 5.5?

What has really helped has been reading the forum throughout the whole time, especially realising I wasn't alone in the 'why me?' stakes, and realising that others are struggling with this every day too, although it's taken quite a long time to actually get to grips with the technology and post something of my own!

The low carb issue has been a real eye opener and is the only reason I've been able to keep off the three stone i've lost since diagnosis and keep the HB1aC reasonably low. Do you think the medics will eventally catch up? Or, is there any danger in low carbing that I'm not aware of?
Thanks for all the help so far.

Mimi
:wink:

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Hi Mimi and welcome to the forum.There are a few members on here who have reached and passed the 'mythological 5.5 !!When you are browsing have a look at the signatures of some of the members and you will see what I mean.Keep eating sensibly re low carb and AFAIK there is no danger ,otherwise I would not be doing it as well!! :D

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Mimi,
Well done for getting yourself back on track. I've known some diabetics to get their HBA1C down as low as 5%. I am currently at 5.7 and am aiming for 5.5 for the next one.

The only known dangers of a low carb diet are the nasty looks and comments that you get from some health professionals when they realise you have sussed their evil plan to keep your blood sugars high and instead have worked out how to keep them low!!

But seriously, the medical profession tells us that the energy requirements of the average person are met with a diet of 50g carbs per day. Then the same medical profession tells us that for a healthy diet we should eat starchy carbs with every meal and have a carb intake of around 230g per day. The same medical profession also can't understand why so many people are becoming obese and/or becoming diabetic. Unfortunately they seem to be so entrenched in this high-carb for everyone nonsense that all the studies that show low-carb to have no long-term problems (and there have been many) are either ignored or dismissed as being flawed, simply because the medical profession won't or can't admit that they might have got it wrong. (There is a very strong suspicion that the medical profession is scared stiff of admitting they were wrong due to the enormous potential to be sued by millions whose health has been wrecked by following their recommendations.)

If you want to see the evidence of low-carb long-term success just look at Dr Richard Bernstein who has been treating himself and his patients on low carb diets for some 20+ years with no problems.
You might be interested in this link to a Bernstein article on how the high-carb idea started.
http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/result ... ticle=6275

Mimi

Dear Dennis and Sue

Thanks for the welcome and the reassurance about low carbing especially the info that 50g of cabs a day is what you need to still be healthy. It's quite hard to find out the specifics.

This forum has been a real comfort to me through some grim times. Thank you for keeping it going.

Mimi. :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi Mimi
You actually don't need any carbs from your food at all. There's plenty of evidence that your liver will make all you need from protein. In any case your energy needs can be supplied from ketones( a breakdown product of fats). Ketones from diet are NOT diabetic ketoacidosis and are normal, not dangerous.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi mimi,

You're amongst friends here. Lots of good people who have defied the medics and got their numbers consistently in the 4's and 5's.

All the best,

fergus

Linda C

Hi, I am new to the forum, looking for info re Byetta. I am 56 yrs old and have been Type 2 for 14 yrs.Initially I managed well with diet, have been on orals for about 8 years.I am currently taking Glyclazide 4 tabs daily, have tried other meds but cannot tolerate, have really bad GI side effects. I have been prescribed Byetta and have had conflicting advice from medics. Doc says it will help, I have high and unstable blood sugar, diabetic nurse paints a horror picture of really bad nausea and vomitting which does not go away, and which everybody gets.I am also interested in low carb diet, does it work? any info links which will help. I really would appreciate any info as am quite worried about Byetta, Thanks,
Linda C

ChocFish

Hi Linda

Welcome to the forum

Read around the forum, esp Success Stories, here is the link viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3763&hilit=success+stories , also I wonder are you familiar with the books by Dr Bernstein The Diabetes Solution and also Dr Charles Clark The Diabetes Revolution? If not then I highly recommend that you get hold of these, you will find them an eye opener.

If you have questions just ask away, there is always someone in here that can give you the right answer or at least point you in the right direction, you will find that you will get support, encouragement and expert information from the lovely members in this forum.

All the best

Karen

Linda C

Hi Karen,
Thanks for the reply. I am looking at the low carb diet in the hope that I might also benefit . It is quite different from what the medics advise. I feel that , having been advised to take Byetta feels like an escalation of treatment, where will it end? I would hope if I can reduce my BG and weight it might not be neccessary for me to increase meds. I feel attracted to tryng the low carb option to see if it does have a dramatic effect on BG . Do you follow a low carb diet, if so what are the results?
Thanks
Linda C

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Linda and welcome to you.
For information on Byetta have a look in the "Diabetes Discussions" thread. It has a topic "Anyone use Byetta?" which will probably tell you all you need to know about it. Whether or not you end up on Byetta, a reduction in carbs will do you no harm whatsoever. Many of us in the forum eat a reduced carb or low-carb diet and have found that it gives us great control over both weight and blood sugars.

mirziana

hi to you....

:wink: hi to you,i`m glad that you enjoy this forum.hoping that you will get an good advise in this forum. :eek:

helsbels

Hi

Really interested in the comments above especially how a low carb diet helps to lower your Hb1AC However can anyone give me a little more info or point me in the right direction to find out more. I see from the comments that it helps with weight loss aswell but I'm only just over 8st and really dont want to lose anymore. :roll:

Trinkwasser

helsbels said:
Hi

Really interested in the comments above especially how a low carb diet helps to lower your Hb1AC However can anyone give me a little more info or point me in the right direction to find out more. I see from the comments that it helps with weight loss aswell but I'm only just over 8st and really dont want to lose anymore. :roll:

Have a trawl through the stickies.

Especially

http://www.dsolve.com/

There are now a whole bunch of interconnected blogs, not only concerning diabetes

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-prim ... continuum/

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/low- ... your-help/

for two