New to this - blood sugar rises overnight?

JRS87

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Morning all,

I haven't had an official diagnosis of pre diabetes but am very worried I am heading that way. I am young (30), but overweight (90kg) and with high blood pressure (regularly 158/101 ish). I have not been to the doctors because I have had a few bad experiences with my GP - I am well aware I should go but would preferably like to equip myself with as much knowledge as I can before I make that appointment.

I have been testing my blood sugar and it seems to rise overnight - last night it was 5.3 and this morning 5.8 - is this indicative of anything at all? And has anyone had any success reversing pre diabetes or is it more a case of slowing T2?

Thank you :)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @JRS87 and welcome to the forum. Your fbg (fasting blood glucose) of 5.8 is good. It could have risen because of 'Dawn Phenomenon' where your liver dumps stored glucose into your bloodstream as you wake to get you going. It is quite common, even in non-diabetics.
Yes you can reverse pre-diabetes, many on here who are diabetic have reduced their blood sugars by adopting a Low Carbohydrate High Fat (LCHF) approach to eating. Have a read round the threads to see how that works.
What makes you think you are pre-diabetic? The readings you have quoted of 5.1 and 5.8 are in the non-diabetic range.

And if you have had bad experiences with the GP you usually see you can ask to see any other GP at that practice. I had a bad experience with the GP I am registered with when I first saw her 18 years ago, and have always seen others since.

JRS87

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Morning @Prem51 - thank you for replying so speedily - i had read prediabetes was around 5.6 - 7 hence my conclusion but is it a bit more open than that?

On the doctor front we unfortunately only have two to choose from, neither of whom I am comfortable with so thank you for the advice and I will certainly have a good look round the forum and the low carb advice

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Hi JRS87 welcome to the forum
A blood glucose meter is an extremely useful tool for managing diabetes. And although they are preferable to peeing on a stick and comparing it to a colour chart, they are by no means as accurate as we would like.
In 2016 the standards were improved from +/- 20% to +/-15% accuracy. If you look here http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose-meters/blood-glucose-meter-accuracy.html
You will see that your two readings of 5.1 and 5.8 are in the same range. The only way to get a truly accurate measurement and diagnosis is by having a sample of blood tested in a lab.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can you change to another GP practise? I think it's so important to be comfortable with who you see. I always book with the same one, the one I prefer, even though he isn't the one I'm registered with.

Reactions: Prem51

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @JRS87 I think it is extremely unlikely that you have prediabetes/impaired fasting glucose. Only a doctor can diagnose you and you need lab tests to be confirmed.

@Prem51 I was diagnosed with impaired fasting (pre D) on a fasting lab test of 6.3 and fasting tests are no longer used for diagnosis. I don't recognise your scale at all?

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh almost forgot In the US impaired fasting/prediabetes can be recognised with a fasting of 5.8 and NICE are currently consulting on changes in the UK to lower the threshold from 6 to 5.8.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @JRS87 If you are using a bg meter in the UK, your bs readings should be in the mmol/L range.
In that range non-diabetic is less than 7.0. Pre-diabetic is 7.0 - 7.6. Diabetic is 7.8 and above.
Re GP, as @Rachox says you can register with another GP practice if there are others not too far from you.

Where have you got these figures from? They don't resemble any figures I have.

For diagnosis, normal fasting is below 6.1. Pre-diabetes 6.1 to 6.9. Type 2 is 7 or above.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Where have you got these figures from? They don't resemble any figures I have.

For diagnosis, normal fasting is below 6.1. Pre-diabetes 6.1 to 6.9. Type 2 is 7 or above.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html
I used the '50 Shades of Diabetes' graph which shows HbA1c (IFCC) of 41 as 6.9. mmol/L.(non-diabetic).
HbA1c (IFCC) 42 as 7.0 (pre-diabetic).
HbA1c (IFCC) 48 as 7.8 mmol/L (diabetic).
At least that's what I wrote in my diary. I might need to check those again.

I usually only remember the HbA1c (IFCC) figures, ie below 42 non-diabetic, 42-47 pre-diabetic, 48 and above diabetic.

Last edited:

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @JRS87 I think it is extremely unlikely that you have prediabetes/impaired fasting glucose. Only a doctor can diagnose you and you need lab tests to be confirmed.

@Prem51 I was diagnosed with impaired fasting (pre D) on a fasting lab test of 6.3 and fasting tests are no longer used for diagnosis. I don't recognise your scale at all?
Yes you are right I was using the figures I noted in my diary from the '50 Shades of Diabetes' Graph and either copied them wrong or they aren't accurate. I'll have to check.

Edit: I've deleted my post.

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used the '50 Shades of Diabetes' graph which shows HbA1c (IFCC) of 41 as 6.9. mmol/L.(non-diabetic).
HbA1c (IFCC) 42 as 7.0 (pre-diabetic).
HbA1c (IFCC) 48 as 7.8 mmol/L (diabetic).
At least that's what I wrote in my diary. I might need to check those again.

I usually only remember the HbA1c (IFCC) figures, ie below 42 non-diabetic, 42-47 pre-diabetic, 48 and above diabetic.

Hi Prem,

The mmol/l figures on the 50 shades chart aren't fasting BG levels, they are averages of BG over 3 months and include post meal levels etc.. You copied them down correctly, but have mistaken them for FBG levels, which they aren't. :)

Reactions: Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah ok, thanks @Bluetit1802, I might need to amend my signature.

Yes you may. It is almost impossible to calculate an HbA1c from finger pricking, but the only way to get somewhere near is to average all your daily levels and include post meals as well as pre-meals..

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Morning all,

I haven't had an official diagnosis of pre diabetes but am very worried I am heading that way. I am young (30), but overweight (90kg) and with high blood pressure (regularly 158/101 ish). I have not been to the doctors because I have had a few bad experiences with my GP - I am well aware I should go but would preferably like to equip myself with as much knowledge as I can before I make that appointment.

I have been testing my blood sugar and it seems to rise overnight - last night it was 5.3 and this morning 5.8 - is this indicative of anything at all? And has anyone had any success reversing pre diabetes or is it more a case of slowing T2?

Thank you :)
Welcome to the forum @JRS87. The bgl's you describe are not that bad. I wish I could stay in that range. If you are not happy with your gp, then find one you are compatible with. You should be relaxed and comfortable with the doctor you deal with. Otherwise you will neglect your health and put yourself in serious danger. If there is a possibility of your being diabetic, then now is the time to start control. I neglected my condition, then woke up in hospital to find out I would be on insulin for life. Don't let this happen to you. I wish you well, good luck.

Reactions: Rachox and Prem51