New to this - feel a little lost

S-P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I was diagnosed with Type 2 in the last 3 months and I have only just felt comfortable to brave posting here. I have been given a load of leaflets and websites. Things to read and think about and I feel a little lost as I am not sure where to start.

I found out entirely by accident after having a blood test for tiredness and forgetting things, so it came a quite a shock and my initial was to to be very upset and embarrassed about the situation. I have only told my mum, brother and partner as I still feel I that people will see it as self inflicted and judge me ( even if it is !!). So I have been trying to navigate through all the information to decide how best to handle everything.

I was prescribed Metformin which did not agree with me at all so I was changed onto Canagliflozin, though I feel reluctant to take them as I don't really want to be taking medication if I can help it.

So I am looking for some advice and tips about where to start and what to tackle first. I am trying to break it into small bite size chucks. Any help will be gratefully received :) S x x

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@S-P welcome to the forum. Did you know that almost 1 out of 2 people have pre-diabetes or type 2 diabetes? You're definitely not alone!

A good place to start is getting a glucose testing kit that includes a meter, lance, and strips. This will help you understand how the foods you're eating are affecting your glucose levels. Many of us test pre-meal then 2-hours post meal.

To take or not take medication is an individual decision. I chose not to, but that's me, not you. :)

I went from a peak glucose level of almost 300 mg/dL (16.7 mmol/L) to pre-diabetes levels within 4 weeks using the low carb diet.

Keep posting, Keep asking questions.