New to this

Lynnzhealth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am new to this forum and I was diagnosed in late March with Type 2 Diabetes at 69. I found carbs shot my sugars up, so the Dr put me on Metformin. I researched and found that diabetes can be reversed so I decided that's what I'm going to do. I found the Keto plan and started following it in May or June. So far, I've lost 25 pounds, stopped the Metformin and my sugars were consistently in the normal range, 4-7 before meals and 5-8 after meals. Until last weekend. For some reason on Friday night, before bed, my sugar was up to 11. Then on Sunday morning after breakfast they were 9.7. What? I did not eat anything different than I've been eating since late May. I have been having extreme leg cramps in the early morning hours so I'm not sleeping well. Could this be the problem? Would lack of sleep and the stress of the extreme leg cramps cause higher blood readings than normal? I walk the dog twice a day and have been doing so for years, so it's not lack of exercise. This is so weird and makes me nervous. I have been testing more often these last few days and things seem to be calming down. I don't want to go back on any meds if I can help it. My next blood tests are in a week and a half, so I'll see how everything looks then. I'm really hoping my A1C is down again, along with my cholesterol and that everything else is normal. Has anyone else gone through this type of thing? I can't really figure out what happened. Any help would be appreciated.

Reactions: kim2109

kim2109

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Those are worrying levels, but you are not on your own, you have everyone here.

Have you started a new diet plan, cutting down on all those nasty carbs?

Hi @Bluetit1802 that’s very reassuring thanks so much it’s nice not to feel alone, since that post my blood sugars are now between 9 and 6 so a huge difference with diet and metformin thankfully will be glad when it’s between 5 & 7 if I can get them there

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Bluetit1802 that’s very reassuring thanks so much it’s nice not to feel alone, since that post my blood sugars are now between 9 and 6 so a huge difference with diet and metformin thankfully will be glad when it’s between 5 & 7 if I can get them there

Well done!!! That is very good. Keep it up and you will soon be within your target. :)

Reactions: kim2109

kim2109

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am new to this forum and I was diagnosed in late March with Type 2 Diabetes at 69. I found carbs shot my sugars up, so the Dr put me on Metformin. I researched and found that diabetes can be reversed so I decided that's what I'm going to do. I found the Keto plan and started following it in May or June. So far, I've lost 25 pounds, stopped the Metformin and my sugars were consistently in the normal range, 4-7 before meals and 5-8 after meals. Until last weekend. For some reason on Friday night, before bed, my sugar was up to 11. Then on Sunday morning after breakfast they were 9.7. What? I did not eat anything different than I've been eating since late May. I have been having extreme leg cramps in the early morning hours so I'm not sleeping well. Could this be the problem? Would lack of sleep and the stress of the extreme leg cramps cause higher blood readings than normal? I walk the dog twice a day and have been doing so for years, so it's not lack of exercise. This is so weird and makes me nervous. I have been testing more often these last few days and things seem to be calming down. I don't want to go back on any meds if I can help it. My next blood tests are in a week and a half, so I'll see how everything looks then. I'm really hoping my A1C is down again, along with my cholesterol and that everything else is normal. Has anyone else gone through this type of thing? I can't really figure out what happened. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi @Lynnzhealth well done on your weight loss and coming off the metformin I’m hoping I can do the same, am finding carbs send my sugars high too so trying hard to cut down, I suffered from terrible leg cramps before and didn’t make the connection, when i ate or drank something high in sugars I would suffer all night, could it be something you drank? Stress? Fingers crossed for your next A1c test

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Doctors
Hello Kim and welcome to the forum, I took up low carbs and cycling and its making diabetes a lot easier to manage sugar levels! Walking is great too. I also weigh certain foods so I don't over do the carbs e.g Pasta, or new potatoes.

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed type II in May and so far have lost two and a half stone without being hungry AT ALL ! (I was hungry 24/7 before !) And my average bloods have gone down from 14.0 to 6.5 (and my HBA1C down from 70 to 43). I started the LCHF diet and it's the only one that's EVER made me lose weight - let alone the more important better blood sugar levels ! I'd avoid slimming world as it's about slimming - you need to get your bloods under control and with the LCHF diet losing weight is a wonderful by-product !!!! Use this forum as your support - it's free and you don't have to leave the house ! ;);)

Lynnzhealth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Lynnzhealth well done on your weight loss and coming off the metformin I’m hoping I can do the same, am finding carbs send my sugars high too so trying hard to cut down, I suffered from terrible leg cramps before and didn’t make the connection, when i ate or drank something high in sugars I would suffer all night, could it be something you drank? Stress? Fingers crossed for your next A1c test
Hi Kim2109. I mostly drink water, tea and 1 coffee per day. I haven't had sugar since early June. I've been having bad leg cramps since I started the low-carb plan. It might be because I also have stomach staples and I don't digest nutrients very well. I might need extra magnesium or potassium, too. I'm trying to figure out what is wrong, or what I'm missing.

Jenniewren1958

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Kim i joined here in aug.now have more bg readings in range, 1 1/2stone weight loss.thanks to the help of the gd people here & lchf program. Hope it works for you.