New type 1 - headaches

Besty W

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm 33 years old and was diagnosed as type 1 diabetic 3 weeks ago, after loosing 2.5 stone over a few months (im 12 stone now). I'm on rapid insulin before each meal and basal before bed, all is going well and sugars are between 5 and 9 throughout the day, but over the past week I've been suffering with dull headaches and feeling tired.
It's the first time I've used a forum, hopefully you'll be kind! Has anyone got any advice?
Thanks

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome @Besty W :)

How often do you test your blood sugar? I ask in case it's going low or high and that's contributing to the headaches. I also wonder if stress might be part of it? I found the first few weeks stressful,and hard work.

Make sure you're drinking enough too as dehydration can cause headaches.

Besty W

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Azure,

I'm testing about 6 times a day after the nurse told me to calm my testing down else I'd have no fingers left! Starting from breakfast today's readings have been 7.4, 9.1, 7.4, 8.2, 7.9, I'm drinking plenty and used to stress at work, I hadn't suffererd previously, this has got me stumped :(

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, don't go too mad on testing as your control and insulin balance seems quite good. Headaches are not a common problem with diabetes but we are all different' Hopefully it will gradually diminish. Occasionally some insulins cause problems and need to be changed to a different type so if it continues do discuss with the GP.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Azure,

I'm testing about 6 times a day after the nurse told me to calm my testing down else I'd have no fingers left! Starting from breakfast today's readings have been 7.4, 9.1, 7.4, 8.2, 7.9, I'm drinking plenty and used to stress at work, I hadn't suffererd previously, this has got me stumped :(

Those readings are very good for someone newly diagnosed

The effects of diabetes leading up to the diagnosis of type 1 does take a heavy toll on the body and can take weeks/months to recover, but if the headaches don't ease-up then I would mention it to your diabetes team/gp

Besty W

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the advice, I've changed my diet quite a lot over the past few weeks and not sure if this is contributing. Just done my bedtime reading, 7.9 again

Reactions: noblehead