Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Christina97587
Just occurred to me and I might be being stupid. Has your insulin been kept out of the recent heat? It can go off.
Do you have new vials in the fridge to try today to see if that makes a difference?
It might not but if my numbers were not moving it is something g I would consider.

Reactions: azure
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Did you speak to your nurse?

Both your insulins might need adjusting. Your nurse should also have given you an idea of carb amounts for your meals.

No she hasn't yet. I think it's because it's all new to me. I think we're just concentrating on getting my levels down a bit first to help me feel a little better.

I've done some research into a high fat low carb diet and tried it for breakfast and lunch today... didn't see a huge improvement but the numbers did come down. I'm running at 15.1 at the moment which is the best I've seen.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Christina97587
Just occurred to me and I might be being stupid. Has your insulin been kept out of the recent heat? It can go off.
Do you have new vials in the fridge to try today to see if that makes a difference?
It might not but if my numbers were not moving it is something g I would consider.

Yes I keep it in the fridge but I'll try a new one and see if that helps!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No she hasn't yet. I think it's because it's all new to me. I think we're just concentrating on getting my levels down a bit first to help me feel a little better.

I've done some research into a high fat low carb diet and tried it for breakfast and lunch today... didn't see a huge improvement but the numbers did come down. I'm running at 15.1 at the moment which is the best I've seen.

The problem is more likely to be your insulin not your diet. Your insulin doses aren't properly matched to your carbs yet, but once they are, you should see an improvement :)

I was lucky enough to be diagnosed when they taught carb counting from diagnosis and it made things so much easier.

Reactions: Christina97587

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other

Good that you're down to 15.1 instead of the 20s. I've hit the 20s for very short periods of time due to foolishness and just for that short duration it wipes me out. A technique you might want to consider while adjusting your insulin - do it gradual set the high bar to 15. Meaning okay I'm going to try to maintain my sugars so they will go no higher than 15 - once that becomes easy than go to 13, than 12, than 11 etc. That gradual adjustment will also give you valuable experience of the affect of insulin increases and your sensitivity levels to those increases. People tend to be all over the map in regard to insulin sensitivity. An addition of a couple of units can have a significant impact on some while have next to no impact on others. The gradual approach will be a way of determining how you react to your insulin and could potential avoid hypos.

I suspect in another couple of weeks your highs won;t be as high as they are now..\

Many of us have endured the same struggle so you're by no means alone.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Good that you're down to 15.1 instead of the 20s. I've hit the 20s for very short periods of time due to foolishness and just for that short duration it wipes me out. A technique you might want to consider while adjusting your insulin - do it gradual set the high bar to 15. Meaning okay I'm going to try to maintain my sugars so they will go no higher than 15 - once that becomes easy than go to 13, than 12, than 11 etc. That gradual adjustment will also give you valuable experience of the affect of insulin increases and your sensitivity levels to those increases. People tend to be all over the map in regard to insulin sensitivity. An addition of a couple of units can have a significant impact on some while have next to no impact on others. The gradual approach will be a way of determining how you react to your insulin and could potential avoid hypos.

I suspect in another couple of weeks your highs won;t be as high as they are now..\

Many of us have endured the same struggle so you're by no means alone.

Thank you. The frustration is to much when you don't see the results you want to.

I'm sure I'll get there soon enough

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Christina,

When I was diagnosed T1 11 months ago(at 27 so a similar sort of age) my DSN slowly increased my insulin day by day and it took nearly 5 weeks before they were able to get me to a reasonable level. I know the temptation is to jump to larger doses of insulin(my brother and sister are both t1d so I had an idea of the amounts I needed to jump to but didn't), but it really is safer to lower the levels slowly and keep an eye on the ketones.

Hope you get there soon!

Jamie
@JayPizzay has said the most sensible thing so far in this thread. Too many T1s replying seem to have either had a different introduction to insulin injecting, or forgotten their early weeks.
Sadly I can't find my record book (it's somewhere !) from when I went on to insulin, but I know it took weeks for my blood sugars to really come down, and I was advised every three days or so by my local diabetes clinic, who slowly titrated my doses.
It was a fairly long time beforeany mention of carb counting came along.
@Christina97587 did going on to insulin instantly make you feel better in some way ? It did for me, even though my sugar levels lagged behind feeling better.
You need to take this one step at a time. You can learn about correction doses when the time is ready, and when you're ready.
You're probably doing fine, though some messages come across as a bit worrying. Think of it like learning to drive - at first you concentrate on basics. I look forward to hearing about those levels coming down eventually !
Geoff

Reactions: JayPizzay
Type of diabetes
Type 1
@JayPizzay has said the most sensible thing so far in this thread. Too many T1s replying seem to have either had a different introduction to insulin injecting, or forgotten their early weeks.
Sadly I can't find my record book (it's somewhere !) from when I went on to insulin, but I know it took weeks for my blood sugars to really come down, and I was advised every three days or so by my local diabetes clinic, who slowly titrated my doses.
It was a fairly long time beforeany mention of carb counting came along.
@Christina97587 did going on to insulin instantly make you feel better in some way ? It did for me, even though my sugar levels lagged behind feeling better.
You need to take this one step at a time. You can learn about correction doses when the time is ready, and when you're ready.
You're probably doing fine, though some messages come across as a bit worrying. Think of it like learning to drive - at first you concentrate on basics. I look forward to hearing about those levels coming down eventually !
Geoff

Yes I feel so much better! The thirst isn't as bad and I don't feel tired all of the time now. Also no wetting the bed!! Just a quick afternoon snooze and I'm fine again.

With regards to the insulin doses.. I'm upping 2 units every 3 days. I have regular contact with DSN and she's very helpful and reassuring. I just have to put my trust in her.

I think it's sensible for me to review what I'm eating and I love love love bread! My dad also grows potatoes in his allotment so I'm trying to resist because they're so delirious.

To be honest, I hadn't realised just how many carbs I was eating before now so I'm sure I can help myself get the levels down too.

Thanks for your advice and reassurance

JayPizzay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sugars are coming down finally! I got a 10.5 reading last night and a 14.1 reading this morning! Cut down on the carbs and it seems to be working

You're smashing it Christina!

Just don't cut your carbs too much when you're increasing your insulin.

You'll be seeing those 5 readings in no time and feeling much better

Reactions: Christina97587