New type 2 and confused

M

ME_Valentijn

It's not uncommon for insulin to be used in the short term to get very high levels down immediately after diagnosis, and then switch to oral meds and other management. But it's a little weird to wait for another appointment to start doing that :p

Reactions: Prem51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For type 2's insulin might not work anyway - the problem being resistance to it rather than a lack of insulin.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My highest blood glucose level was 294 mg/dl (16.4 mmol/l) my first week on the LCKD, [walking daily too]. My glucose levels had dropped significantly by the end of the first 2 weeks on the diet. Then the things slowed down, but I continued to see further reductions which continued for the next year with no medication or insulin.

Last edited:

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hopefully by now you've got the printout and are able to clarify your test results.

I'm wondering why they have said you are T2 - unless they have done other tests to differentiate. More likely, they have just assumed you are T2 because of your age and being slightly overweight (according to BMI). However, people can and do develop T1 at an older age - my mother-in-law was in her 50's when the optician told her about the damage to her retinas and asked how long she had been diabetic. She didn't know she was. She had been visiting the GP for a couple of years saying she felt unwell and was losing weight.

Anyhow - read this forum, ask questions, and don't give up!

Reactions: Freema and Prem51

steveyp

I wasn't able to fetch the printout yesterday but I have it now. It says 131 mmol/mol . I now know this is very high and I think I was kidding myself given my diet was so bad. Do you think there's any chance I'd be given medication instead of insulin? I still have no idea how long I'll have to wait for an appointment with the diabetes nurse.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I doubt anyone can put your mind at rest, but it unusual for insulin to be given as a first line treatment other than in an emergency situation, and your medics don't appear to think that is the case just yet. (otherwise they would have admitted you to hospital).
Your best bet is to find the best diet for you that involves cutting carbs as it is the carbs that cause high levels. Less carbs=lower glucose.

I have little doubt at your next appointment you will be given more blood tests, so if you can show you have reduced your levels by diet you may be in with a chance of less strong medication. Have you bought your own blood glucose meter? That would be a good start so you can learn which foods your body can cope with and which it can't.

Reactions: ME_Valentijn

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@steveyp there's much you can do between now and your next appointment: keep up the walking and join us on the low carb forum and start asking questions... http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/low-carb-diet-forum.18/ If you don't have a glucose meter and test strips, tell us which country you live in and members will tell you which is the cheapest to use. I believe you mentioned living in the UK. Can anyone make suggestions?

Test before and 2 hours after each meal, also before and after each walk. Keep us posted on your progress. :)

M

ME_Valentijn

I wasn't able to fetch the printout yesterday but I have it now. It says 131 mmol/mol . I now know this is very high and I think I was kidding myself given my diet was so bad. Do you think there's any chance I'd be given medication instead of insulin? I still have no idea how long I'll have to wait for an appointment with the diabetes nurse.
Are you having symptoms of hyperglycemia? It would be very helpful if you could measure your blood sugar. Then you could also see if changing your diet is enough to lower your blood sugar.

Additionally, it can be a bad idea to exercise while blood glucose is way too high, since hyperglycemia can result in producing excessive ketones, which would be aggravated by the exercise, and might lead to diabetic ketoacidosis.

steveyp

Are you having symptoms of hyperglycemia? It would be very helpful if you could measure your blood sugar. Then you could also see if changing your diet is enough to lower your blood sugar.

Additionally, it can be a bad idea to exercise while blood glucose is way too high, since hyperglycemia can result in producing excessive ketones, which would be aggravated by the exercise, and might lead to diabetic ketoacidosis.

Thanks for the advice.. I was very thirsty and frequently urinating. I was worried that as I was eating more I hadn't put on weight. Also my hair's thinning hence the Drs appointment. I asked for blood tests thinking it was iron or thyroid issues. I feel a bit silly now, it was obvious really!
Tracey

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
steveyp I was re-diagnosed with type 2 diabetes when I thought I had a urinary tract infection. (I didn't). Thank goodness the doctor ordered more testing and also checked my glucose level and A1c.

When I first started walking, I probably only walked 10 to 15 minutes in the beginning. I didn't experience an increase in glucose level. I know because I checked my glucose level before and after walking. Over time I worked up to 3 miles.

Are you able to buy an inexpensive glucose monitor and strips? Without knowing how food and physical activity affects you, you'll not know if what you're doing is helping or hurting you. The goal is to improve your glucose levels, right? :)

Please don't feel silly, rather be thankful. With this new knowledge you can turn this around and restore your health. :)

Reactions: MikePea and steveyp

steveyp

steveyp I was re-diagnosed with type 2 diabetes when I thought I had a urinary tract infection. (I didn't). Thank goodness the doctor ordered more testing and also checked my glucose level and A1c.

When I first started walking, I probably only walked 10 to 15 minutes in the beginning. I didn't experience an increase in glucose level. I know because I checked my glucose level before and after walking. Over time I worked up to 3 miles.

Are you able to buy an inexpensive glucose monitor and strips? Without knowing how food and physical activity affects you, you'll not know if what you're doing is helping or hurting you. The goal is to improve your glucose levels, right? :)

Please don't feel silly, rather be thankful. With this new knowledge you can turn this around and restore your health. :)
Hi Winnie. Thank you for replying. I'll definitely be walking more, I walk the dog but thats's more of a stroll although she has been out for longer this week! I've looked into exercise classes and swimming appeals too.
I'm going to find out which is a good monitor, I'm looking at the testing program but I'd prefer to just go into a shop and get one. Tomorrow.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

magsiesss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who drive with fog lights on when its only a bit of mist
When I was diagnosed I was off the scale at 141 .... but quickly managed to come down

I was initially on Gliclazide and Metformin - I walk daily and went to the gym/aqua aerobics a couple of times a week

My GP thought I may have to go on insulin (he told me months later) but wanted to try the pills first .... which worked for me

My GP also told me about this forum and suggested I become my own expert ..... good luck

Reactions: steveyp

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apologies, I neglected to explain...

I initially bought a high quality glucose meter. Unfortunately, the test strips were so expensive - (88 cents each; or 68 cents if I ordered them online) - that I felt guilty testing.

Then sometime later, someone suggested buying the cheapest meter and strips that I could find. I did, and I was shocked because those test strips only cost 18 cents each! From that point forward I tested guilt free.

So when you go out tomorrow, do price comparisons. Here in the USA, pharmacies charge ridiculously high prices. I bought my "cheap" meter and strips at Walmart, and a year and a half later I'm still using it.

All physical movement is good. I love your idea of swimming or taking an exercise class. :)

Sarahlou404

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My Hba1c levels were very high when I was first diagnosed. I saw the diabetic nurse the day after and she started me on sukkarto (slow release metformin) straight away and I cut right down on my carbs and on my last blood test week before last my levels have dropped considerably.
I'd try medication and diet first before insulin

Jaynemum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all I'm a 53 year old female and I was diagnosed with type 2 last Tuesday. I'm waiting for appointments with the practise diabetes nurse and the community diabetes team. My mg/dl was 132 which converts to 7.3 mmol/L according to google. My GP says this needs to be treated by injecting insulin as its too high for medication. He hasn't prescribed anything yet. I'm now reducing my carbs and exercising more hoping it will be lower when I go. If so can the diabetes team change the treatment?
A couple of other questions - what is a good level of carbs each day? And also do I need to get a glucose meter now?
Im so glad I found this forum.
Tracey
Hi I was diagnosed last September and my blood level was 8 I have been put on metformin which seems to be working fine insulin was never mentioned so I would get a second opinion hun

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I was diagnosed last September and my blood level was 8 I have been put on metformin which seems to be working fine insulin was never mentioned so I would get a second opinion hun

fine that sounds good, are your numbers in the normal area then ?
normal fasting numbers in the morning is like under 6 ...

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

most of us have been where you are right now... mine was 166 initially , but thanks to both metformin and lower carb I am now in the non-diabetic area ( though still diabetic )

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

I am sure they´ll not give insuline right now... only if you diabetes over time progress or if you start partying in carbs...if you you pull the break now and go lower carb that will maybe never happen

Last edited:
Reactions: steveyp

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
@steveyp mmol/mol means it is an HbA1C measurement, and yes, it is very high. But, as already has been said, if your doc thought you needed immediate insulin you would be in hospital on a drip. Don't despair.

My suggestion would be to go straight to a very low carb, even ketogenic, diet. The only thing that will get your BG down quicker than that would be fasting (you can try that if you want to). Even if you don't stay extremely low carb permanently, it should lower your BG significantly in a relatively short time.

So:-

- get that meter

- cut out all bread, pasta, rice, flour products and sources of sugar (including natural sugars like honey) and limit fruit to one small helping of non-tropical fruits per day

- fill up on meat, fish, eggs and no-starchy veggies and salad, using butter or lard for cooking and olive oil for dressing

- be amazed at how much your BG will drop in a matter of days

Good luck - keep on coming back and asking questions, we will help you as you find a new balance that you can live with.

Reactions: Freema and JoycieW

steveyp

Again thank you all so much for replying. It's so reassuring to hear your stories. So... I went to the Drs this morning with blurred vision. I'm off to the hospital to get that checked out soon. While I was there I saw the practice diabetes nurse and was also sent to the community diabetes team where I was seen for around an hour, she explained everything and tested my blood which was 17.7 mmol/l. I'm going on Metaformin and Gliclazide, narrowly avoiding insulin when the nurse called a consultant at the hospital for advice.I can't get the prescription until tomorrow but I have a blood glucose meter and all of the kit, all free. I have to measure ketones too. Tonight my reading is 13.9 so I'm really pleased and it's completely due to the low carb diet.
Tracey

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds good steveyp. :)

I am at a complete loss as to what the panic is about on the part of your treatment team. The low carb diet on it's own should drop your glucose levels down significantly in one to two weeks, but you'll need to limit your carb intake to 30 - 40 g carbs a day.

That said, I received the same pressure to start metformin and a statin immediately, but told them I wanted to try the low carb diet first. The doctor couldn't believe how good my glucose levels were at my 6 week appointment.

Gliclazide forces your pancreas to make more insulin and can cause hypos. Watch your blood glucose levels closely. :)