New Type 2 - Low Carb and Meds Questions

Jazzerik

Hi Everyone,

Just over 2 weeks ago (Nov. 10) I was diagnosed with type 2 (at the dr I had a blood glucose of 22.7). I immediately changed my diet, going very low carb.

He initially put me on 2000mg Metformin (1000 in a.m. and the same at night). Three days later (13 Nov)(despite my numbers dropping to 8s, he put me on 100mg Januvia (once daily).

Two weeks exactly I lost about 20 lbs (I am very overweight). My numbers have been 3-6. He was shocked at my weight loss, but refused to lower/take me off meds. Originally he said he'd look into it. Now he says I will never be off them.

I have no problem being on meds, but I do want to avoid problems in the future and know if I am in "remission" if this is even possible.

One of my problems is that he said Metformin and Januvia do not cause lows. But I have had a few scares this week. I dropped to 3.4, in one case, as a low before I had to grab a sugar candy and brought it back up to 5s. I have told him of this and the answer to this was "eat more carbs". I do not want to lose my license. It is likely that my system is messed up, thus the lows, or could it be the meds?

Thank you!

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Everyone,

Just over 2 weeks ago (Nov. 10) I was diagnosed with type 2 (at the dr I had a blood glucose of 22.7). I immediately changed my diet, going very low carb.

He initially put me on 2000mg Metformin (1000 in a.m. and the same at night). Three days later (13 Nov)(despite my numbers dropping to 8s, he put me on 100mg Januvia (once daily).

Two weeks exactly I lost about 20 lbs (I am very overweight). My numbers have been 3-6. He was shocked at my weight loss, but refused to lower/take me off meds. Originally he said he'd look into it. Now he says I will never be off them.

I have no problem being on meds, but I do want to avoid problems in the future and know if I am in "remission" if this is even possible.

One of my problems is that he said Metformin and Januvia do not cause lows. But I have had a few scares this week. I dropped to 3.4, in one case, as a low before I had to grab a sugar candy and brought it back up to 5s. I have told him of this and the answer to this was "eat more carbs". I do not want to lose my license. It is likely that my system is messed up, thus the lows, or could it be the meds?

Thank you!

I would usually say that the meds you are taking shouldn't give you a low and I'm on januvia. But we are all different and they might do.
If it is a, one off, then it might be a rogue reading of your blood glucose levels. And one low shouldn't be a concern, maybe,like others on here live quite well in that range and don't have symptoms associated with hypos.

If you are generally getting more than the odd low reading, then return and tell him your are having them. As there must be reasons for it!

Keep a food diary and record what you have eaten and before and after blood glucose level readings, this will help with your GP.

Well done on the weight

Jazzerik

Thank you. I have had a few lows this week. I have read that it could give lows (Januvia) and combined it could with Metformin, but on other sites it does not say that. I just find it really weird that my problem is HIGH blood sugar, and now I am heading in the opposite spectrum (where i obviously do not want to be). I have been keeping a diary of blood sugar/food, and testing after eating as well to see if there is a spike (rather how much).

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My experience of januvia is it slows the spikes and helps me not go low. But I wouldn't let it anyway. I eat fairly regularly and very low carb!
How much carbs are you having? Can you give us an idea of what you eat in a day , so that we can recommend something you're not aware of!

What and when was your last hba1c reading?
What is your pre meal fasting blood glucose level?
How high do you spike?
What is your average two hour reading? Is it below 2mmols of your pre meal reading?

Sorry for the questions but it will help.

Jazzerik

I am not sure on the hba. I will have to find out! I think he mentioned a number 10.... But can't say for sure.

I am having very few carbs. I'd say under 20. I eat various salads mostly, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, meats, eggs, cheese, olives, cucumbers, celery, dill pickles, pork rinds....

Pre meal I am between 3.4 and 6.0. Mornings it has been 5 up to a max of 7. Post meal I have not taken in a while, but it was a couple points higher, sometimes. Sometimes not much higher at all. I will start getting more #s and post.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
This is how we find out what's going on!
And if a reading is not normal to what we are use to, then we can recognise as such and test again.
If you want a read on how I do my glucose readings, go to the Reactive Hypoglycaemia forum and there is a thread there. It gives the whys and what to do!

Yes you are having very few carbs. Well done, what are you drinking? Do you have milk in your tea? Or coffee? Do you drink cola or such? Do you drink alcohol?

The only other reason for hypos is if you are not eating enough regularly.
To stop this eat regularly throughout the day, low carb and small plate sizes.

Keep asking, keep posting.

Jazzerik

Thanks, I will have a look. Yes, low carbs. No soda pop, no alcohol, no juice. I drink water. I do drink coffee with a bit of 1/2 and 1/2 cream.

Last night I ate at 6pm. Huge meal (salad, 2 burgers, mushrooms, pork rinds as snack). I tested my blood at about 845 and it was 4.4 (immediately ate a hunk of cheese and a pickled egg). I tested it again 15 mins later and it dropped to 3.6, so took a 15 carb candy and ate it. Jumped up to 5 ish.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Ok, let's try and get your testing so it's regular.
You do seem to have low ish numbers, but nothing too dramatic! I would say that 3.6 is just about normal range and not hypo!
Keep testing and recording, maybe we can pin this down, as I said some can be ok with those numbers!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, keep testing recording and see how it goes. I suspect you may no longer need to be on Januvia and I would ask the GP why it is being continued if your BS in now good. The Metformin should not be making much difference to your BS, but with the LC diet it also might be able to be reduced. See how you go and if the bs remains very good then be prepared to ask the GP to reduce your meds in steps and see how you go. Diet is the thing that helps T2 the most - not meds.