new type 2 needs advice please

newgrandma

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,

newly diagnosed type 2 needs advice please. Age 70, active - tennis, pilates, tai chi, gardening etc. Med type diet, no red meat, lots of fish, veg and fruit, modest alcohol 5-10 units a week. Good health ( I thought!) apart from some intermittent IBS, 1 episode of diverticulitis, caused by stress - caring for old folks. Some teeth /gum infections over 30 years after front teeth loosened by anaesthtist! Chronic low grade inflammation? Mum - type 2, later insulin dependent died age 90 from diabetic complications with metformin. Other female family members also diabetic so genetic conponent

Oct'16 NHS health check - raised BP 140/87 BMI 25.6, cholesterol 7.9 - refused statins. Follow up fasting blood test - 15.4. Bought BG monitor and started reading!! Have read Holford, Moseley, Cavan, Myhill etc. so understand physiology of low GI diet, no suger etc. + exercise and metabolic syndrome.

Started on Berberine 3 times day 2 weeks ago + chromium and good multi vit/mineral tab and low GI diet.Upped exercise. Daily BG reading reduced but so far , lowest has been 7.6. Example - breakfast organic oats+ oat bran+ cinnamon+ berries sends BG way up. Better to try eggs for breakfast?? HbA1c last week was 10.6%

GP will let me try diet + exercise but expects me to need meds in the end. But don't want to take metformin after watching my mum's decline. Appt already made with surgery's diabetic unit for Dec. Am I heading in the right direction? How long does it take to see some more positive results?

Sorry if this is long winded but after reading other posts, thought it might save some of the questions. Any advice gratefully received - I expect to be a grandma for the first time in the new year, so want to have the time and energy to enjoy it. Thank you in anticipation.

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Have you seen the Low Carb Program on this site? You will probably benefit from reducing carbs as well as GI.

Don't be scared of metformin, if you do end up needing it. Some people can't cope with the side effects, but if you can, it is very safe and effective, and lowering your BGs as close to normal as possible is what will protect you from complications.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi newgrandma, what makes you think it was the Metformin that caused problems for your mum? Was she on any other meds?

A

asparagusp

Metformin may have actually prolonged your mother's life. You seem to be doing all possible to keep healthy. Well done! Do you need to lose weight?

Reactions: Liam1955

newgrandma

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi newgrandma, what makes you think it was the Metformin that caused problems for your mum? Was she on any other meds?
Thanks for replying.
Mum was insulin dependent for her last 10 years or so - her BG control wasn't brilliant - she took metformin as well. Before going into hospital for the last time, paramedics couldn't get her BG up to keep her conscious - they said metformin overload. Death cert was diabetic complications which included kidneys. I guess I'm just drug averse and would rather manage without if I can.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Eating low GI is OK for some diabetics, but by no means all of us, and particularly those not on any diabetes medication. All carbs convert to glucose once in the system, whether low or high GI, it's just that the low GI ones take a bit longer. Nevertheless, they still convert and that glucose will arrive in your blood stream at some point.

If I were you I would give low carb a try and see if you get better results. Bread, rice, pasta, cereals (including oats, organic or not), potatoes and flour are the main culprits. I personally cannot eat any carbs for breakfast. It's eggs for me. Once my insulin sensitivity wakes up as the day progresses I can manage up to 30g carbs a day, more than this and my levels increase. Other people can manage 50g or 80g or more carbs a day, whilst some have to keep under 20g. It is a very personal thing. Your meter will tell you what your threshold is.

Eat to your meter and you will see a big difference.

Reactions: newgrandma

newgrandma

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Metformin may have actually prolonged your mother's life. You seem to be doing all possible to keep healthy. Well done! Do you need to lose weight?
Thanks for replying - probably wouldn't hurt - seem to have gathered some extra round my middle in the last few months. Will def look at the low carb options suggested. There's just so much advice - some of it conflicting! But grateful for all the help.

newgrandma

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Eating low GI is OK for some diabetics, but by no means all of us, and particularly those not on any diabetes medication. All carbs convert to glucose once in the system, whether low or high GI, it's just that the low GI ones take a bit longer. Nevertheless, they still convert and that glucose will arrive in your blood stream at some point.

If I were you I would give low carb a try and see if you get better results. Bread, rice, pasta, cereals (including oats, organic or not), potatoes and flour are the main culprits. I personally cannot eat any carbs for breakfast. It's eggs for me. Once my insulin sensitivity wakes up as the day progresses I can manage up to 30g carbs a day, more than this and my levels increase. Other people can manage 50g or 80g or more carbs a day, whilst some have to keep under 20g. It is a very personal thing. Your meter will tell you what your threshold is.

Eat to your meter and you will see a big difference.
Thanks for that. I can see that everyone is different so will monitor what I eat and the reaction carefully for a while. Sounds like low carbs will suit me better too. So much to learn and adjust to.... Thanks again.

newgrandma

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @newgrandma
Have a look at the Diet Doctor site. This link https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb will put you onto the Low Carb section, but there is lots more to look at (see bar across top of page), all very clear and sensible.
Sally
Thanks for that. Excellent website - low carb bread?!! I have been making my own wholemeal bread for some years so will def try that instead. Thanks

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
so ywelcome newgrandma :)

some do get diabetes from lifestyle other from genetics others from medications and some maybe from polution.. or maybe till now unknown reasons..
usually we don´t know why we get it for sure... if we are lucky if we do our best we can maybe stop the progress but even that is not for sure...
Metformin doesn´t have to be a bad medication, to some it is, to some it hasn´t got any sideeffects and to some it end up hindering the uptake of vitamin b12 or maybe is a problem to cope with if one has weak kidneys.

what complications did metformine cause in your mothers case ?

I´ll tag @daisy so you get the valuable information that everyone new gets here

Last edited:

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.

newgrandma

Type of diabetes
Type 2
so ywelcome newgrandma :)

some do get diabetes from lifestyle other from genetics others from medications and some maybe from polution.. or maybe till now unknown reasons..
usually we don´t know why we get it for sure... if we are Lucky if we do our best we can maybe stop the progress but even that is not for sure...
Metformin doesn´t have to be a bad medication, to some it is, to some it hasn´t got any sideeffects and to some it end up hindering the uptake of vitamin b12 or maybe is a problem to cope with if one has weak kidneys.

what complications did metformine cause in your mothers case ?

I´ll tag @daisy so you get the valuable information that everyone new gets here
thanks for reply and encouragement. Please see reply above re my mum's problems. If I can achieve a good reduction in my BG, BP and cholesterol by latching on to all this good advice, I shall be a very happy bunny! It's def worth a try. Thanks

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for replying.
Mum was insulin dependent for her last 10 years or so - her BG control wasn't brilliant - she took metformin as well. Before going into hospital for the last time, paramedics couldn't get her BG up to keep her conscious - they said metformin overload. Death cert was diabetic complications which included kidneys. I guess I'm just drug averse and would rather manage without if I can.

I would suggest it had nothing to do with Metformin, more likely incorrect insulin doses. Metformin does very little to change BS levels, it helps a little by reducing the amount of glucose the liver produces naturally, and is an appetite suppressant. What were the paramedics doing to raise her BS levels?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks for reply and encouragement. Please see reply above re my mum's problems. If I can achieve a good reduction in my BG, BP and cholesterol by latching on to all this good advice, I shall be a very happy bunny! It's def worth a try. Thanks

how scary it is that they didn´t control her levels.... so scary that an old lady should die that way... so scary... and iresponsible of the health care people around her

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would suggest it had nothing to do with Metformin, more likely incorrect insulin doses. Metformin does very little to change BS levels, it helps a little by reducing the amount of glucose the liver produces naturally, and is an appetite suppressant. What were the paramedics doing to raise her BS levels?

no metformin is taken out of the body by the kidneys and if the kidneys do not work as effective anymore as it is often the case for older people then the metformin will be too high in our body. and when being weak it can be very fatal.
older people should have their blood levels checked more othen than younger persons

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
no metformin is taken out of the body by the kidneys and if the kidneys do not work as effective anymore as it is often the case for older people then the metformin will be too high in our body. and when being weak it can be very fatal.
older people should have their blood levels checked more othen than younger persons

We live and learn!

newgrandma

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for info. Mum wasn't very good at BG control. She had always had a sweet tooth and was often heard to say " I'll just have one..." don't think that was always how it worked out. She didn't live with us so although I was one of her main carers, I wasn't always around to keep an eye on her.

I don't want to struggle with this as she did. There looks to be lots of super recipes so I won't feel deprived. I just need to get used to the new regime. Thanks for all the pointers in the right direction - it just takes some getting used to.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for info. Mum wasn't very good at BG control. She had always had a sweet tooth and was often heard to say " I'll just have one..." don't think that was always how it worked out. She didn't live with us so although I was one of her main carers, I wasn't always around to keep an eye on her.

I don't want to struggle with this as she did. There looks to be lots of super recipes so I won't feel deprived. I just need to get used to the new regime. Thanks for all the pointers in the right direction - it just takes some getting used to.

Hi,

Metformin works by increasing insulin sensitivity (insulin resistance is common in T2s.) & meant to stop the liver dumping glycogen into the system..

Now insulin? I don't know what sort of regime your mum was on? But needless to say (from your posts.) her carb intake was a major factor in conjunction with how man made insulin performs.. (The "one" didn't work for her.) none of these meds stand alone as a magic bullet to the diabetic condition.

This is not your fault.!
History don't need to repeat.. There are alot of respected low carbing T2s off meds on here... You can't go wrong keeping company with these guys..
As an aside. My apologies as a T1 if I come across as a bit "blunt" on this T2 subject. (Not my intention.)
I joined this forum initially in the interests of my now deceased T2 dad.

Wishing you the best!

Reactions: newgrandma