new type 2 needs advice please

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for info. Mum wasn't very good at BG control. She had always had a sweet tooth and was often heard to say " I'll just have one..." don't think that was always how it worked out. She didn't live with us so although I was one of her main carers, I wasn't always around to keep an eye on her.

I don't want to struggle with this as she did. There looks to be lots of super recipes so I won't feel deprived. I just need to get used to the new regime. Thanks for all the pointers in the right direction - it just takes some getting used to.

Helloo @newgrandma. What a sad story, you've got a lot of worries to carry with you as you begin your journey. As you've already seen you are in the right place. I've been knocking about the forums since 30 September and I've learned there is no such thing as a silly question, we have some very clever people among us who are incredibly generous with their knowledge.

You've hit the nail on the head, your future lies with your regime change. So much of it is mental, and I don't think any of us newbies will say it's easy to give up our favourite staple carbs (toast...:meh:). But it is worth it, and it does work. Follow the programme and keep asking/reading. Weight loss may not be your issue, in which case don't count your calorie intake and enjoy the butter on you peas and cream in your coffee. I've got to shed the stones, but happy to say I've lost 7 kg in 7 weeks, and I don't feel hungry.

You mention changing your breakfast and that seems a good idea, Eggs are excellent.

Sorry to go on a bit, we're all discovering that we have a lot of historical teaching to undo. It's hard, like learning a new language, and you might find the odd raised eyebrow when you speak to others about Low Carb, High Fat. Come back to us if you need some reassurance and a hug. Good luck :happy:

newgrandma

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,

Metformin works by increasing insulin sensitivity (insulin resistance is common in T2s.) & meant to stop the liver dumping glycogen into the system..

Now insulin? I don't know what sort of regime your mum was on? But needless to say (from your posts.) her carb intake was a major factor in conjunction with how man made insulin performs.. (The "one" didn't work for her.) none of these meds stand alone as a magic bullet to the diabetic condition.

This is not your fault.!
History don't need to repeat.. There are alot of respected low carbing T2s off meds on here... You can't go wrong keeping company with these guys..
As an aside. My apologies as a T1 if I come across as a bit "blunt" on this T2 subject. (Not my intention.)
I joined this forum initially in the interests of my now deceased T2 dad.

Wishing you the best!
Thanks for the support - so glad I joined this site. A few hours of good advice has been so helpful in pointing the way forward.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

newgrandma

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Helloo @newgrandma. What a sad story, you've got a lot of worries to carry with you as you begin your journey. As you've already seen you are in the right place. I've been knocking about the forums since 30 September and I've learned there is no such thing as a silly question, we have some very clever people among us who are incredibly generous with their knowledge.

You've hit the nail on the head, your future lies with your regime change. So much of it is mental, and I don't think any of us newbies will say it's easy to give up our favourite staple carbs (toast...:meh:). But it is worth it, and it does work. Follow the programme and keep asking/reading. Weight loss may not be your issue, in which case don't count your calorie intake and enjoy the butter on you peas and cream in your coffee. I've got to shed the stones, but happy to say I've lost 7 kg in 7 weeks, and I don't feel hungry.

You mention changing your breakfast and that seems a good idea, Eggs are excellent.

Sorry to go on a bit, we're all discovering that we have a lot of historical teaching to undo. It's hard, like learning a new language, and you might find the odd raised eyebrow when you speak to others about Low Carb, High Fat. Come back to us if you need some reassurance and a hug. Good luck :happy:
Thanks for all the advice - it's good to know that I'm starting to understand where to go from here - glad I found you all!!

McGints11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,

newly diagnosed type 2 needs advice please. Age 70, active - tennis, pilates, tai chi, gardening etc. Med type diet, no red meat, lots of fish, veg and fruit, modest alcohol 5-10 units a week. Good health ( I thought!) apart from some intermittent IBS, 1 episode of diverticulitis, caused by stress - caring for old folks. Some teeth /gum infections over 30 years after front teeth loosened by anaesthtist! Chronic low grade inflammation? Mum - type 2, later insulin dependent died age 90 from diabetic complications with metformin. Other female family members also diabetic so genetic conponent

Oct'16 NHS health check - raised BP 140/87 BMI 25.6, cholesterol 7.9 - refused statins. Follow up fasting blood test - 15.4. Bought BG monitor and started reading!! Have read Holford, Moseley, Cavan, Myhill etc. so understand physiology of low GI diet, no suger etc. + exercise and metabolic syndrome.

Started on Berberine 3 times day 2 weeks ago + chromium and good multi vit/mineral tab and low GI diet.Upped exercise. Daily BG reading reduced but so far , lowest has been 7.6. Example - breakfast organic oats+ oat bran+ cinnamon+ berries sends BG way up. Better to try eggs for breakfast?? HbA1c last week was 10.6%

GP will let me try diet + exercise but expects me to need meds in the end. But don't want to take metformin after watching my mum's decline. Appt already made with surgery's diabetic unit for Dec. Am I heading in the right direction? How long does it take to see some more positive results?

Sorry if this is long winded but after reading other posts, thought it might save some of the questions. Any advice gratefully received - I expect to be a grandma for the first time in the new year, so want to have the time and energy to enjoy it. Thank you in anticipation.
Hi,

Like others, I cannot heap enough praise on the Low Carb program: It is just the best!

However, berberine is a bad choice - can raise complications in the medium term. Consider bitter melon tea instead.

newgrandma

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,

Like others, I cannot heap enough praise on the Low Carb program: It is just the best!

However, berberine is a bad choice - can raise complications in the medium term. Consider bitter melon tea instead.
Good morning, I haven't come across bitter melon tea - what does it do and where do you get it? I would be interested to know.

do you have experience of berberine? What are the complications? I have so far only read/heard good reports. I decided to try it after reading WDDTY article (may 16) Berberine v metformin for type 2 diabetes. Berberine is a traditional Chinese and Ayurvedic remedy and some recent studies have shown it to be effective in reducing blood sugar AND cholesterol and triglycerides, all if which I need to do. As I am only just starting on my new low carb regime, I can't say yet whether that is the result for me, although my BG has already come down by about 25-30% by taking Berberine and chromium and adopting a low GI diet (but without limiting carbs). Once I've done a few weeks of low carb, I will hopefully be able to report better results.
thanks

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for replying.
Mum was insulin dependent for her last 10 years or so - her BG control wasn't brilliant - she took metformin as well. Before going into hospital for the last time, paramedics couldn't get her BG up to keep her conscious - they said metformin overload. Death cert was diabetic complications which included kidneys. I guess I'm just drug averse and would rather manage without if I can.
Sounds like it was more kidney failure and her age not the Metformin. Metformin is actually a very safe drug but does not make much difference in lowering BG levels it is more given for the protection it gives to the heart. I do not see why the paramedics could say her low BG level was due to Metformin overload

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Butternut Squash, Cabbage and confrontation.
Thanks for info. Mum wasn't very good at BG control. She had always had a sweet tooth and was often heard to say " I'll just have one..." don't think that was always how it worked out. She didn't live with us so although I was one of her main carers, I wasn't always around to keep an eye on her.

I don't want to struggle with this as she did. There looks to be lots of super recipes so I won't feel deprived. I just need to get used to the new regime. Thanks for all the pointers in the right direction - it just takes some getting used to.

Hi New Grandma,
I know what you mean about your mum's 'Just one' comment. My mum was just as bad, If my mum went anywhere she couldn't resist having that slice of cake or pudding, it didn't matter what any of us said as far as she was concerned provided when she went to the Diabetes Nurse once a year her urine tested clear she didn't have to worry about any of it. She made it to 83 somehow. I was a nurse at the time so new the dangers but she wouldn't listen which was infuriating and now I find myself to be diabetic I'm the opposite in that I'm determined not to handle my diabetes in the same way. Just because your mum wasn't able or not concerned about her management dosen't mean the sames going to happen to you. Were all very different, and you have taken a big step in taking control by joining this forum.
I'm on metformin and have no problems with it. Your not on your own now. Take care
Maggie

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Started on Berberine 3 times day 2 weeks ago + chromium and good multi vit/mineral tab and low GI diet.Upped exercise. Daily BG reading reduced but so far , lowest has been 7.6. Example - breakfast organic oats+ oat bran+ cinnamon+ berries sends BG way up. Better to try eggs for breakfast?? HbA1c last week was 10.6%

Fasting glucose will take a while to come down. But yes eggs with butter/cheese will give you a more stable after meal glucose reading. A couple spoonful of virgin coconut oil will help with the hunger and clarity of mind too.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
how aptly described "Starting on your journey" it certainly feels like one after finding out you are diabetic