New Type 2

linkwood

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Diagnosed 6 weeks ago with Type 2, high blood sugars at 7.7 random and 7.4 fasting. I'm 57 and a bit overweight, very active, but 95Kg where I should be around 85. Having had a couple of bad accidents that left me with severe SI problems requiring surgery, exercise has not been easy for a couple years

Tried to prescribe metformin, but I flat refused. I've seen the side effect it had on a couple horses with EMS and not accepting of the ideaof using it.

Have gone straight on to a diet of quality protein, lots of vegetables, limited fruit (never liked certain fruit much anyway, always too sweet for my taste) and good quality fats. NO sugar and NO simple carbs. (Allow myself red rice once a week)

Favourite snack is an apple sliced up with a tablespoon of Almond butter for dipping in - it's superb.

In 6 weeks I have:
- lost 2 inches off the waistline
- seen huge improvements in mood and energy
- ongoing joint pain is significantly better to the point where I'm not using pain relief

No idea yet on blood sugars - but have retinal screening next week and will probably get clinic appointment after that

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

Very well done on being so pro-active.

It sounds like you don't test your own blood sugars. It is very wise to buy your own meter and start testing. This will help you judge how you are doing, and will also be invaluable in showing you what your food choices are doing to your levels by testing before and after meals. It isn't a good thing to have no knowledge of your blood sugars between appointments if you want to gain control and keep control.

Reactions: AM1874

linkwood

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Meter is on its way. Asked the GP about testing and he said don't!

He doesn't think the blood glucose is relevant now, just the hba1c (?) as it gives a view of how well it has been managed for the last 40 -60 days apparently.

So waiting for first Hba1c test. he gave me a right talking to though and said that if I didn;t make changes I'd be an insulin dependant type 2, Maybe he intended to put the FOG into me. Worked :)

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Diagnosed 6 weeks ago with Type 2, high blood sugars at 7.7 random and 7.4 fasting. I'm 57 and a bit overweight, very active, but 95Kg where I should be around 85. Having had a couple of bad accidents that left me with severe SI problems requiring surgery, exercise has not been easy for a couple years

Tried to prescribe metformin, but I flat refused. I've seen the side effect it had on a couple horses with EMS and not accepting of the ideaof using it.

Have gone straight on to a diet of quality protein, lots of vegetables, limited fruit (never liked certain fruit much anyway, always too sweet for my taste) and good quality fats. NO sugar and NO simple carbs. (Allow myself red rice once a week)

Favourite snack is an apple sliced up with a tablespoon of Almond butter for dipping in - it's superb.

In 6 weeks I have:
- ongoing joint pain is significantly better to the point where I'm not using pain relief

No idea yet on blood sugars - but have retinal screening next week and will probably get clinic appointment after that

Hi @linkwood
If you are considering a meter for testing your BG, you might be interested in the TEE 2 from Spirit Healthcare
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/ .. it's FREE and, in my opinion, user friendly.
Test strips and Lancets are cheap (relatively) .. and there's also a USB lead and CD program for monitoring

PS: I have no connections with Spirit Healthcare .. it's just that I have found the TEE 2 pretty good ..

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Meter is on its way. Asked the GP about testing and he said don't!

He doesn't think the blood glucose is relevant now, just the hba1c (?) as it gives a view of how well it has been managed for the last 40 -60 days apparently.

So waiting for first Hba1c test. he gave me a right talking to though and said that if I didn;t make changes I'd be an insulin dependant type 2, Maybe he intended to put the FOG into me. Worked :)

People on here compare not testing to driving without a speedometer. You are working blind and it's all guess work. You may get a few nasty surprises!

The HbA1c is fallible. It measures a rough average but does not show what the highs are post meal. It is the spikes that cause the damage. Your HbA1c may show an average of say 6mmol/l but won't show all the 8's and 9's post meal, and because at times such as overnight and after not eating for 5 or 6 hours, you may see a lot of low readings in the 4s and 5s. the average looks pretty good, but damage is being caused.

Reactions: Liam1955

linkwood

Type of diabetes
Type 2
We'll see the range of readings when the meter arrives. I will be testing AM and 2 hours after meals to see if there is a recognisable pattern

Reactions: Liam1955

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@linkwood - Hello and Welcome to the Forum :).

JRF

In 6 weeks I have:

Welcome to the forum and well done on what you have achieved so far. Jean

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Well done so far. Don't worry about taking Metformin. It's a good safe drug which doesn't help a lot but does help with insulin resistance. The main side effect can be bowel issues and these can be solved by taking the SR (Slow Release) version

Reactions: Freema