Newbie T1

lou258

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys. Just found this forum and wanted to say hello :) I'm lou and I'm 37.

I was admitted to hospital a month ago today after what I thought was a cold had me struggling to breath. Was actually in dka and spent 3 days in ICU, then another 3 on the wards before I came home.

Was a huge shock as no family history. I'd had symptoms - dry mouth/constant thirst, some sight issues - but thought it was due to tablets I was on.

At the moment I'm doing ok, have been off work tho and a bit scared to go back next week and start managing 'real life'. Altho I'm a single mum to 2 boys (5&8) so that's pretty real all the time ;)

Only probs I seem to be having at mo is BG dropping a bit low before bed so I'm having to have extra snacks, am adjusting my novorapid with tea to try and solve tho.

I haven't been told any of my readings from when I was admitted so don't know what my levels are other than my BG checks. I have doc appt at hospital clinic in a couple of weeks so will be checking then.

Sorry to witter on - it's been good to read posts from people who understand what it's like. I had to do some very deep breaths when my mum asked me last week if I thought I got ill from drinking too much orangina the weekend before I was admitted when I was in Paris!!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @lou258
Your mum's comment made me laugh. You will collect a few of those daft comments over time! Welcome to the site...

Reactions: lou258