Newbie - T2 diagnosed

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your liver will be dumping glucose if all you had to eat was 2 slices of bacon before all that work, which is why you were high before your next meal. You are also stressing about it, which won't help. Please believe me, a rise of only 1mmol after an hour, then back down again at 2 hours is typical of a non-diabetic. I wish all my meals kept me under 7.8. ;)

Reactions: 4 people

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Your liver will be dumping glucose if all you had to eat was 2 slices of bacon before all that work, which is why you were high before your next meal. You are also stressing about it, which won't help. Please believe me, a rise of only 1mmol after an hour, then back down again at 2 hours is typical of a non-diabetic. I wish all my meals kept me under 7.8. ;)
Good point Bluetit. I always forget about the stress part. Which is actually strange as I was absolutely terrified when diagnosed.

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For you, is the oatcake responsible in bringing your BG into the low 4s.
I have been mainly conservative in the foods I have been eating.

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
thank you Bluetit, it is the first time it has happened to me so far, coming down like that.
I will need to eat more before work, to prevent glucose dumping. In the past, I never had breakfast before work, because of indigestion.
For some reason swopping my diet over, less carbs, eating less acidic foods, my indigestion has seized.

Reactions: 2 people

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
+++*/-+/-*+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
For you, is the oatcake responsible in bringing your BG into the low 4s.
I have been mainly conservative in the foods I have been eating.
Sometimes I need a little nudge with some carbs. I have also found sometimes that an oatcake before bed gives me a lower waking reading. Doesn't always work though. That would be too easy.

Reactions: 2 people

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
thank you Bluetit, it is the first time it has happened to me so far, coming down like that.
I will need to eat more before work, to prevent glucose dumping. In the past, I never had breakfast before work, because of indigestion.
For some reason swopping my diet over, less carbs, eating less acidic foods, my indigestion has seized.
Your body may take some time to get used to it.

kpsandown

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
HbA1c results today were 4.8. DN pleased especially as just returned from Corfu where perhaps overdid the food and drink :)
No tablets, just further test in December.

Must say I am somewhat confused. My two fasting levels were 8.5 and 7.3 (within last 2 months) but these were at a time of infections and a fair bit of stress. How do these line up with the HbA1c figure?

Keith

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done you, infections and stress posh up readings, I believe. How it corresponds, maybe but don't quote me. Your own testing on the day is observing what is happening in life. A1c is taking over a set time, taking the average and maybe this could be the reason you were really good readings during when you were fine.

Maybe someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Reactions: 5 people

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Kpsandown, welcome to the Forum. Well done you on your HbA1c rusults thats great. @pixie1 is absolutely right that stress, infections, colds etc., will increase your bg. Here is a quote from WebMD.

Quote:

Stress hormones like epinephrine and cortisol kick in since one of their major functions is to raise blood sugar to help boost energy when it's needed most. Think of the fight-or-flight response. You can't fight danger when your blood sugar is low, so it rises to help meet the challenge. Both physical and emotional stress can prompt an increase in these hormones, resulting in an increase in blood sugars.

Unquote:

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

Reactions: 6 people

kpsandown

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @pixie1 and Marilyn. That's what I thought. Carrying on with the diet and exercise. DN said no need to test but think I will for my own peace of mind and to check variations in diet.

Thanks
Keith

south711

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
being a diabetic and finding restrictions.to life style. people who do not understand the problems one has. not being able to afford to come back to uk for holidays as often, quite expensive. miss some foods that the French do not do. but can live with that French drivers. who love to tail gate. and they love to drive over the white line. in rural areas they are a pain. but get use to it. does put the wind up you. But driving in the UK found that drivers want to get as close as they can. and the traffic. it took me 25 minutes to get to friends house which was less then a mile away. due to traffic.
I cannot understand, why the NHS etc does give out meters, here in franc I was diagnosed last year and the first thing I received apart from the tablets was a meter, which was free, it worked well for a time then kept getting error. so mentioned this to the Doctor. and he replaced it with new meter no charge to me.
What is happening to the English system. There are thousands of diabetics all over the world. and the Uk was reasonably good regards the problem of being a diabetic.
How can people afford to buy them, when you are on low income. it is such a disgrace, that you have buy these meters as they are important in controlling you BG.

I do hope that things do not change over here, as buying lancets are expensive cost me 38 euros , as I was running low and did not want to see my doctor. But due to see him in a weeks time, my choice. so will have a renewed prescription. including lancets.

Sorry that the information you received was basic. When I was diagnosed by my Doctor, he sent me to hospital I was in for a week. with the same prognosis sorry spelling bad.......... and they sat down with you and explaind everything.

But have to say that this forum I just cannot get enough of you guys, I have learnt a lot. and still learning.
Thank you.

Best of luck
Anne T2

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @pixie1 and Marilyn. That's what I thought. Carrying on with the diet and exercise. DN said no need to test but think I will for my own peace of mind and to check variations in diet.

Thanks
Keith

Hi Keith, DN's/Doc always tell you not to test, because most surgery's do not provide meters and strips to T2 diabetics. Testing is an important part of controlling/managing your diabetes, you should test before and 2 hours after food the see how your meal has affected your bg. I am afraid that the NHS has a lot to answer for regarding testing and dietary advice, they don't seem to get it that carbs are bad for diabetics and continue to give the wrong advice.

Have a good look round the other forums on here, you will be amazed at all the tips and information to help you. I didn't get any dietary advice on diagnosis and I am glad I didn't, because I found this site and it is brilliant.

Good luck

Marilyn

kpsandown

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Marilyn

Dr just dismissed meters saying that "you don't need one". Just wait for the next six months test. Also agree about the NHS dietary advice. Glad I found this forum, it has been so helpful and am still learning. As a matter of interest, I was given the "Desmond Guide" but when I looked for the courses found that this area stopped them this year as the surgeries could not afford to let the DN's to attend. So if I want to attend one I would have travel considerable distance (to another county!!).

Thanks to all who have helped.

Keith

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Years ago, Meter and strips were given to type 2 diabetes, it was all changed when the hb a1c came in. Also down to cost. I am not surprised that diabetes is progressive, because except what is excepted at face value and unable to control blood sugars.

I am going on the x-pert course. It does not seem very expert to me. Unfortunately I am not one of those people who will sit there and listen, I have to speak out and put forward what I and others think. Many points raised on here I will put forward, creating a balanced view from others diabetics.

At the end of the day the educators do not have first hand experience, only learnt what is taught.