Newbie Type 2(?) and hoping for illumination from others' experiences

Clairebear34

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. As suggested by my title I'm newly diagnosed although have been living in the shadow of diabetes for at least 20 years due to gestational diabetes with my (now 19 year old) daughter (and ended up on insulin) - and suspected gesteational with my 22 year old son (never diagnosed but they were finding sugar for the last 6 weeks of pregnancy and he was 9lb 3.5oz when he arrived!). Also my mum was diagnosed type 2 in her mid 50's - about 10 years ago (ish as she can't remember).

So, despite trying to keep my BMI in the normal range, trying to keep fairly active and trying to eat fairly healthily, I started having symptoms:

- constant sweet taste in my mouth regardless of what I'd consumed (the first symptom that actually registered to me as something to investigate)
- blurry vision but not all the time
- drinking like it was going out of fashion leading to wearing a path in the carpet to the bathroom (although not necessarily at night bizarrely!)

I had invested in a BG meter after my mum was diagnosed so I started testing my blood and went to the doctors when my BG results were throwing out some worrying results (the highest was 20.4 and generally have results in double figures 2 hours post prandial) and an average morning result of around 8.

I was diagnosed as type 2 at the end of May having had a fasting blood glucose result of 8.2 - only 1 was done as I'm symptomatic and due to my home testing results also supporting the diagnosis. I had my first hba1c result yesterday which was 51 so I would say that would confirm the diagnosis

Then starts the whole confusion of advice, opinions, attitudes, diets....... Despite my fairly good knowledge of diabetes (or so I thought!) it is evident that there is so much more that isn't known about diabetes and even more that isn't understood by the majority of people - including myself!! This was very blatantly put across to me when a colleague (who teaches biology to GCSE students) was talking to a type 1 colleague of ours and basically said that she (the T1 colleague) had 'proper' diabetes - which stunned me into silence and to be honest I still don't know how to tackle the subject with her.

The main confusion I currently have is over the possibility of LADA or type 1.5.

I am not seen as 'typical' type 2 (if indeed there is such a thing) as:
- I'm 43
- I have a BMI of 24
- I'm fairly active
- have a fairly healthy diet, I try to choose healthier options although do eat more 'bad' carbs like pasta and potatoes than I should
- I don't have high blood pressure, if anything it tends to be on the low side
- my cholesterol came back at 5.1 but with a ratio of 3

In fact the only marker I have is the genetic link and my previous experience with gestational.

This has led me to look into the possibility of LADA as I have also just been told by the doctor that I am anaemic and have been put on iron tablets. Does anyone know if LADA would be looked into as a matter of course or should I mention it to my Diabetic nurse at my next appointment?

Hopefully there are people out there who have experienced this, or similar, themselves who can share their expertise with me

Thanks

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @Clairebear34
I don't think LADA is looked for as a matter of course. You would have to ask for a GAD test and cpeptide. Given your family history they probably think type 2 more likely. They might see how you respond to diet/oral melds before looking at other options.
You say you choose 'better' carbs. What does a daily diet look like?
So sorry your colleague was hurtful. The mechanisms behind type 1 and 2 are different but both are nasty.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It doesn't scream LADA or type 1. A history of gestational diabetes (ie hormonally caused insulin resistance during pregnancy) and family history of type 2 (there is a very strong genetic aspect to the risk of type 2) really strongly points to type 2. They wouldn't investigate the possibility of type 1 unless there was a reason to suggest it. As you don't seem to have had sudden dramatic weight loss as part of your pre diagnosis symptoms, nor did you have ketones on diagnosis and your initial hba1c of 51 would probably be considered rather low for an on diagnosis type 1, there doesn't seem to be much reason to suggest it.

If you're keen to have type 1 ruled out you can ask for antibody testing to see if you have the antibodies associated with autoimmune type 1 diabetes (a gad test) and a cpeptide test to see if you are producing insulin.

How are you treating your diabetes? What are your blood sugars looking like?

Things that would suggest a misdiagnosis with type 2 when the patient is in fact type 1 would be inability to control blood sugar with diet, exercise and oral meds and continued untried for weight loss.

Reactions: azure

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Hi. As suggested by my title I'm newly diagnosed although have been living in the shadow of diabetes for at least 20 years due to gestational diabetes with my (now 19 year old) daughter (and ended up on insulin) - and suspected gesteational with my 22 year old son (never diagnosed but they were finding sugar for the last 6 weeks of pregnancy and he was 9lb 3.5oz when he arrived!). Also my mum was diagnosed type 2 in her mid 50's - about 10 years ago (ish as she can't remember).

So, despite trying to keep my BMI in the normal range, trying to keep fairly active and trying to eat fairly healthily, I started having symptoms:

- constant sweet taste in my mouth regardless of what I'd consumed (the first symptom that actually registered to me as something to investigate)
- drinking like it was going out of fashion leading to wearing a path in the carpet to the bathroom (although not necessarily at night bizarrely!)

I had invested in a BG meter after my mum was diagnosed so I started testing my blood and went to the doctors when my BG results were throwing out some worrying results (the highest was 20.4 and generally have results in double figures 2 hours post prandial) and an average morning result of around 8.

I was diagnosed as type 2 at the end of May having had a fasting blood glucose result of 8.2 - only 1 was done as I'm symptomatic and due to my home testing results also supporting the diagnosis. I had my first hba1c result yesterday which was 51 so I would say that would confirm the diagnosis

Then starts the whole confusion of advice, opinions, attitudes, diets....... Despite my fairly good knowledge of diabetes (or so I thought!) it is evident that there is so much more that isn't known about diabetes and even more that isn't understood by the majority of people - including myself!! This was very blatantly put across to me when a colleague (who teaches biology to GCSE students) was talking to a type 1 colleague of ours and basically said that she (the T1 colleague) had 'proper' diabetes - which stunned me into silence and to be honest I still don't know how to tackle the subject with her.

The main confusion I currently have is over the possibility of LADA or type 1.5.

- I'm 43
- I have a BMI of 24
- I'm fairly active
- have a fairly healthy diet, I try to choose healthier options although do eat more 'bad' carbs like pasta and potatoes than I should

In fact the only marker I have is the genetic link and my previous experience with gestational.

This has led me to look into the possibility of LADA as I have also just been told by the doctor that I am anaemic and have been put on iron tablets. Does anyone know if LADA would be looked into as a matter of course or should I mention it to my Diabetic nurse at my next appointment?

Hopefully there are people out there who have experienced this, or similar, themselves who can share their expertise with me

Thanks
Welcome to the forum. Undoubtedly, you will hear 'expert' advice from many people, yet stick to professional opinion. Don't be mislead by the masses. Here at the forum, you will have unbiased and credible information which will help you to adjust. We are here to assist.

Last edited:

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @Clairebear34 ..

I note that you are already following a "healthy diet" but managing and controlling your diabetes through exercise, diet and testing your Blood Glucose seems to be the best way forward for many people. For me, committing to an LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) lifestyle and testing 3-5 times a day seems to be working and you'll find that there is a wealth of info, relevant advice and positive support about LCHF on the forum ..

I would suggest that you read up on the Low Carb Program and you might also find the discussion on the Low Carb Diet forum helpful, together with the following Diet Doctor websites ...
Low Carb Intro and Information
Low Carbs in 60 Seconds

Hope this helps

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately there are professionals who will advise that it is fine to eat all sorts of high carb foods, don't bother to test and remember to take the tablets.
Personally I eat low carb foods, as I am unable to keep my blood glucose down to the levels I think safest unless I restrict carb intake.
Such things as normal BMI, healthy diet, active lifestyle and normal blood pressure are no safeguard against diabetes - though some people like the idea that it is some sort of punishment for not living the right lifestyle, or divine retribution for getting fat it is just wishful thinking, or maybe politics.
If you cut out dense carb foods and see your blood glucose drop dramatically then you have the improper version of diabetes, and can plan your future accordingly - somehow I suspect that someone teaching GCSE Biology might not have a very clear grasp of the problems involved in managing diabetes of any sort.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance

- I'm 43
- I have a BMI of 24
- I'm fairly active

Thanks

Hi. Some very good advice above. I have tagged the amazing @daisy1, who will be along to provide you with some really sound information to add to what you already know. In my opinions, if you seriously want to get those numbers down - drop the carbs...that's the bottom line. As for the biology teacher and someone being a "proper diabetic"...I taught Classics for years myself, and have encountered some very stupid but somehow qualified bampots in more than one staff room over the years. The fact that someone teaches biology to 15 year olds does not qualify them to express sound medical opinions on matters not covered in the school curriculum or in their degree course (which they may well have scraped by in). I personally found quite a number who I felt qualified for a kick in the a@se. If this particular scientific genius is a "colleague" then you will know what I am talking about. I have known some excellent teachers and some very poor ones. Listen to those who have experience. Good luck.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Everyone is an expert on diabetes, until they get a diagnosis and suddenly discover how little they actually know!
:D

Welcome to the forum :)

You've had lots of good info above, and keep reading, because there is plenty more to come.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Clairebear34

Hello Claire and welcome to the Forum :) To help you, here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope it will be useful to you. Ask more questions when you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Reactions: pleinster

dipsydo

You mentioned have a genetic history which does point to a diabetic risk and you have had a the fasting glucose test and you have some symptoms . I noticed you stated that you are being treated for anemia . On this site there is some research that anemia which can cause unreliability issues with hba1c . I have put an extract from it below in italics ( as I am not tech savy enough to put in the link ). You might therefore find that any hba1c test which is done after your anemia is resolved will be impacted and maybe more accurate that the current test you have had so maybe worth discussing with you doctor

New research shows that anemia could lead to a false diagnosis of type 2 diabetes if HbA1c is used as the diagnostic method.

In the UK, HbA1c is advocated by the World Health Organisation (WHO) for diagnosing type 2 diabetes at a value of 6.5 per cent (48 mmol/mol).

Anemia is a common condition in which a lack of iron in the body leads to decreased red blood cell count or hemoglobin in patients. An estimate from 2011 found that 29 per cent of non-pregnant women had anemia, while the latest WHO figures suggest this figure is 13 per cent in men.

Researchers at the University of Nottingham investigated studies between 1990 and 2014 in which HbA1c and glucose were measured, as well as an index of anemia involving non-pregnant women not diagnosed with diabetes.

12 studies found that iron deficiency with or without anemia resulted in increased HbA1c values, while no corresponding blood glucose rise occurred. Subsequently, a diagnosis of diabetes would require further testing.

The researchers recommend that when glucose and HbA1c levels differ in diabetic patients, anemia or iron deficiency should be considered. If these abnormalities are identified, correction of high hemoglobin levels should be corrected before HbA1c is again used for diagnosis or monitoring.

"HbA1c is likely to be affected by iron deficiency and iron deficiency anaemia with a spurious increase in HbA1c values. This may lead to confusion when diagnosing diabetes using HbA1c," the authors say.

"This review clearly identifies the need for more evidence, especially in identifying the types and degrees of anaemia likely to have significant impact on the reliability of HbA1c."

kimlala

- I'm 43
- I have a BMI of 24
- I'm fairly active

Thanks
Hi Clairbear34~I always hesitant to offer any advice, as I am also new. Your story sounds pretty much the same as mine. With exception of that there is no family history of diabetes in my family gene pool. I am 52, very active and have always been on the thin side. I was hospitalized last Nov. after a series of tests showed I was diabetic. At that time I weighed in at 95 lbs. and was wasting away, we seriously thought I had cancer. I was told I was a unique case, nurses didn't agree with doctor, and my husband and I started our search. What I have learned is that is up to me to help me. I really believed that this lack of knowledge on the medical part was because I live in a small town in Texas. Finding this forum, and reading Dr. Berstein's book has proved that theory wrong. I finally requested blood work (GAD-65 and c peptide) as doctor didn't preform theses tests, and asked for a referral to endocrinologist. It has been a roller coaster of meds, insulin, testing levels (doctor only wanted me to test 3 times daily, I don't agree on this) and searching diets. You are not alone, request blood work, if you can. Sadly, for me I went merrily along with my doctor, thinking he new best. Now I show up with my logs (levels, food, exercise) and doctor always has that look of, "Oh, no here she comes" lol.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hi Clairbear34~I always hesitant to offer any advice, as I am also new. Your story sounds pretty much the same as mine. With exception of that there is no family history of diabetes in my family gene pool. I am 52, very active and have always been on the thin side. I was hospitalized last Nov. after a series of tests showed I was diabetic. At that time I weighed in at 95 lbs. and was wasting away, we seriously thought I had cancer. I was told I was a unique case, nurses didn't agree with doctor, and my husband and I started our search. What I have learned is that is up to me to help me. I really believed that this lack of knowledge on the medical part was because I live in a small town in Texas. Finding this forum, and reading Dr. Berstein's book has proved that theory wrong. I finally requested blood work (GAD-65 and c peptide) as doctor didn't preform theses tests, and asked for a referral to endocrinologist. It has been a roller coaster of meds, insulin, testing levels (doctor only wanted me to test 3 times daily, I don't agree on this) and searching diets. You are not alone, request blood work, if you can. Sadly, for me I went merrily along with my doctor, thinking he new best. Now I show up with my logs (levels, food, exercise) and doctor always has that look of, "Oh, no here she comes" lol.

My doctors are renal specialists...and are happy to see my OTT records. My diabetes consultant also appreciated the info. Maybe your "Oh no, here she comes" doctor is a bit of a tube. You clearly have taken control. Well done.

Reactions: kimlala

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
My doctors are renal specialists...and are happy to see my OTT records. My diabetes consultant also appreciated the info. Maybe your "Oh no, here she comes" doctor is a bit of a tube. You clearly have taken control. Well done.
I've not heard anyone called a "choob" since my days in Glasgow. :)

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
I've not heard anyone called a "choob" since my days in Glasgow. :)

I am from Glasgow...I remember trying to explain to kids at a school in Kent; it took a while - too many wee tubes. ;)

Reactions: Diakat