Newbie Type2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. I learnt about my Type 2 diagnosis after getting a call from the GP receptionist asking why I had not booked my appointment. So the diagnosis came as no surprise.

I was informed my HbA1c was 94 mmol/17. That my diabetic control was poor (go figure). I was prescribed Metformin and asked to go back in two months and to watch what I ate. I was given no information whatsoever.

I gave up anything sweet, bread, biscuits etc and by the time I went back I was down to 64 and had lost a stone.

I was then asked if I'd had my eyes looked at. Well no. Had I had my feet looked at. No. Had I arranged my diabetic education. No. I felt as if I'd had the condition for years. Again given no information.

My retinal scan was booked and I attended. To be there were early signs of damage but treatment not indicated. Now recently I have had a sub occular bleed but was not asked about that and during treatment for that I had my eyes examined more thoroughly that brushing hair with a not comb. So who knows.

I'm still waiting for my education course.

Now I really have no idea what I should be eating or not eating. Do I need a blood monitor or what. I just don't believe you can be given a diagnosis like that and basically left to your own devices.

Is this a common occurrence?http://

Sent from my SM-G925F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @Owenscoresagain
welcome to the forum !! :)
I don't think your experience is that uncommon ( unfortunately )

but as luck would have it --- you have found Us !!!!!!!!!!!! ( Yay Us ) !

I am tagging the lovely @daisy1 to provide a great starter pack of info on all the basics to get you going.....

meanwhile .. have a look around the forum -- there are loads of great people here to assist you and offer support.

I am tagging @bulkbiker ( a proper good guy) for his words of wisdom

all the best !!

Reactions: Prem51 and ziggy_w

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Owenscoresagain and welcome,

You do sound bitter about your treatment, and with reason, but it is fairly typical with T2 diabetics so not-one is picking on you! GP's generally devolve all T2 care to nurses, and you should be assigned to one. She will do your foot checks and arrange for future reviews and blood tests. Good that you had your retinal scan. You will get one of these annually. It does look like the doctor/nurse has put you on the correct care pathway.

You would be very wise to get a blood glucose meter. It will teach you at a glance which foods your body can cope with (we all have different tolerances). Without one you are working blind. As for food, it is carbohydrate that causes the problems with blood glucose levels, especially starchy ones like bread, potatoes, rice, pasta and breakfast cereals. A meter will help you decide if any of these in small quantities are doing you harm, but in the meantime, no harm in cutting them down..

You will hear from Daisy before long with her useful information. I urge you to read it, and meanwhile have a good browse through the forums and ask as many questions as you like.

Reactions: Prem51

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello there and welcome.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Your treatment was very typical, sadly. Yes, do buy a glucose meter and for food you need a low-carb diet with enough protein and fats to keep you feeling full. Veg is fine but avoid too many root veg. Fruit is also good apart from tropical ones. An educational course is always useful as long as you ignore any 'Eat Well Plate' nonsense and beware of NHS dieticians as they can be clueless.

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It sounds like you've already got off to a good start by cutting down on some carbs and losing weight. Now you need to build on that progress by learning more about a low-carbohydrate diet (sometimes called LCHF). A meter is very useful - if you don't know where to start ask all your questions on this forum. Your doctor/nurse may discourage you from using a meter. Aim to get your HbA1c down to the 40s. All the info you need is on this forum. Good luck.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now I really have no idea what I should be eating or not eating. Do I need a blood monitor or what. I just don't believe you can be given a diagnosis like that and basically left to your own devices.

Hi Owen
Completely agree about paucity of advice when first diagnosed by HCP's . Looking back I now I regard some of the things that were said to me as negligent on their part.
Anyway are you an all or nothing kind of person?
If you are then I recommend cutting as many sources of carbohydrate from your diet as possible. I look at Type 2 as carb intolerance and control my errant blood sugar by eating as few as possible. That means no bread, pasta, starchy veg (especially but not only potatoes) , rice. I mainly eat meat,fish, eggs, dairy (double cream in coffee - lactofree milk in tea because it has less carbs than regular milk) cheese and green veg grown above ground (including cauliflower and aubergine) and nuts. Snacks, which I try to avoid, are usually pork scratchings. I also gave up on breakfast and just have a couple of large mugs of tea every morning. This extends your overnight fast and lets your body use some of the sugar that is in your blood when you get up.
I would heartily advise you get a blood glucose monitor and start to test regularly. In the morning when you get up, this is known as your Fasting Blood Glucose reading (FBG) and the immediately befroe and about 2 hours after each meal. This will show you the effect of what you just ate on your blood sugar. It's called "eating to your meter" so you ditch foods that cause your blood sugar to go up by more than 2 mmol. The cost of meters in negligible but the test strips can prove expensive - you will use a lot in the first few months of testing.. I use the SD Codefree which has about the cheapest strips. There are discount codes for bulk buying strips around on the site.
A great resource is www.dietdoctor.com which has a load of free recipes and info on the low carb way of eating.
That's probably enough to get you going.. I would however highly recommend the work of Dr Jason Fung (the guy on the left of my avatar) if you want to understand what this condition is. Stick his name into google and you'll find his website and loads of videos explaining Type 2 and the best ways to go about controlling it.
Just remember we're here to help and a usually a pretty amenable bunch, with a few exceptions...so ask any questions you have and we'll try to assist.
All the best
Regards
Mark

perry1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People that moan for no reason
Good evening sir and welcome to the forum lots of good advice on here and they are all willing to answer any questions/concerns you my have:)

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hi @Owenscoresagain - I have no doubt you will find the site very helpful; there's a lot of experience here to benefit from as well as some very supportive people.
I would focus on three particular things...
Definitely buy a meter and test before and c.2 hours after food to see what is having most negative impact so you can avoid it;
Record daily the time of any reading, the food you eat and any other meds you take...this will reveal patterns;
Grasp that carbohydrates effectively turn to sugar in the blood and cut them right down (low carb is 10g carb or less per 100g).

Good luck.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @Owenscoresagain .. and welcome
Sadly, your experience with Nursie is pretty much the norm .. I was diagnosed T2 in early Feb and, like you and many others, I was a bit shell-shocked with little information and no real idea of what was happening to me. Since joining this forum, though, the folks here have given me so much info, advice and support that I am now much more confident about the journey ahead. So ask your questions and be assured that you will receive the answers that you need. It can all seem uphill to start with but, in my experience, it gets easier .. very quickly.

You have already made a positive start in dealing with your T2 diagnosis .. but the key point to take on board is that managing and controlling your diabetes (or pre-diabetes) through exercise, diet and testing your Blood Glucose seems to be the best way forward for many people. For me, committing to an LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) lifestyle and testing 3-5 times a day seems to be working and you'll find that there is a wealth of info, relevant advice and positive support about LCHF on the forum ..

I see that @himtoo has already tagged @ daisy1 for you and I suggest that you read up on the Low Carb Program in the information that she will soon be sending you. You might also find the discussion on the Low Carb Diet forum helpful .. and as the wise @bulkbiker has said, use the Diet Doctor resource ..
The following sites will give you all the info that you need on what and what not to eat ...
Low Carb Intro and Information and Low Carbs in 60 Seconds

It is a top priority that you get yourself a test meter and, for this, the following websites might help:
https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/
for the SD Codefree meter, which costs £12.98 or:
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/
who distribute the TEE 2 meter, which is free.
I have both which I alternate for comparative purposes and I have never found any significant difference between them.

Unless you are prescribed test strips by your doctor (unlikely), the costs of testing comes down to the ongoing charges for test strips and lancets. Make sure that you tick the appropriate box on the on-line order form and you won't pay VAT on your meter or strips.
For the SD Codefree, the strips are £7.69 for a pack of 50 and there are discount codes available for bulk purchases:
5 packs x 50 use code: 264086 .. cost is £38.45
10 packs x 50 use code: 975833 .. cost is £76.90
For the TEE 2, the strips are £7.75 for a pack of 50 .. but there are no discount codes currently available

I'm testing 3-5 times a day which works out at around £10 to £12 per month for either of the two packages above but, more importantly, I now know what my BG levels are .. and I can now manage them

Hope this helps

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Owenscoresagain and welcome! Can't add anything to the good advice you've already got. Do ask as many questions as you like.

Reactions: hca

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Welcome to the forum @Owenscoresagain. Yes unfortunately many have found that they receive very little information from their HCPs. I was just told not to eat grapes, which I didn't anyway. I didn't know what i could eat and just had tinned salmon/mayo wholemeal sandwiches for the first couple of weeks.
But you will get a lot of good advice and support on here. a lot of us have found that adopting a Low Carbohydrate High/er Fat (LCHF) approach to eating has reduced our blood sugar levels, and often our weight too.
have a read round the threads to see how it works and ask any questions you want to, the people on here are friendly and supportive and have been where you are now.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Owenscoresagain

Hello Owen and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information, mentioned above, which we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask questions if you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 250,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Reactions: himtoo

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
welcome here Owenscoresagain hope you 'll be happy to join us... this is such a great place for information discussions and support