Mr Spot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty, time wasters and people who bullsh*t
Hi All,

Sorry if this is not the place to post what might be a simple question. I have been troubled over the past few years with cellulitis. There have been blood tests in the past which have shown nothing unusual. Over the last couple of weeks I have had 3 different patches of cellulitis, being treated with fulucloxacillin. My Dr then had me do a fasting blood test and the result of the Hba1C was 6.9 ....he wouldn't say much more than I was probably diabetic and that would explain the cellulitis.

I have another fasting blood test on Monday, so I will be seeing the same Dr again probably Friday. I can understand them not wanting to make a diagnosis on one set of results, but all I want to know is what happens next? I have been eating sensibly and exercising well since the test....although I know it wont influence the numbers as this is an average over 2-3 months. If the next set of results confirm a count of 6.9 Will I be expected to monitor myself over the next few weeks? Is it usual to go straight on to meds? my preference would be diet and exercise but do the Dr's give them enough time to be effective...

Basically any general advice on what I can expect would be greatly appreciated

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hb a1c 6.9% is a likely indication of diabetes, since non-diabetics average 5.1% However, HbA1c isn't the recommended diagnostic test for diabetes, that's the Oral Glucose Tolerance Test. ot OGTT.
I don't know of any direct link between cellulitis and diabetes, but diabetics do tend to get circulatory problems, which might trigger it.
If you have any specific questions for us, We'll probably find you an answer.