blubelle1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi..I’m fairly new ti all of this and tbh there is just so much info to absorb..much of it above my head at the moment . I went ti my dr as j was having loads of muscle spasms (cramps?) all over..so she tested my thyroid and also for diabetes. My sister has just been diagnosed as having hyperthyroidism so I’d not have been surprised..in fact looking at the list of symptoms for hypothyroidism I thought “that’s me!!)..however they were satisfactory. A second fasting test however confirmed type 2 diabetes..a shock to me ask eat fairly well, though I now understand that it’s more than that. No meds but given lifestyle and diet advice, back today for a foot check and j asked about testing so I can watch what’s happening and adjust foods/activity levels accordingly, but I was advised it’s only really for people on meds, which I was half expecting. Also to eat everything in moderation..as j said before..my diet is already pretty healthy although I am overweight..I just generally prefer healthy foods. My levels were hbac1..56 and fasted 8.6..so really I want to lower this ..next appointment February for bloods but I’ve an eye test and am awaiting the Desmond course info..any advice??????...thanks in advance. (My doctors are generally very good but tbh I just feel I should be doing more to help myself)

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi..I’m fairly new ti all of this and tbh there is just so much info to absorb..much of it above my head at the moment . I went ti my dr as j was having loads of muscle spasms (cramps?) all over..so she tested my thyroid and also for diabetes. My sister has just been diagnosed as having hyperthyroidism so I’d not have been surprised..in fact looking at the list of symptoms for hypothyroidism I thought “that’s me!!)..however they were satisfactory. A second fasting test however confirmed type 2 diabetes..a shock to me ask eat fairly well, though I now understand that it’s more than that. No meds but given lifestyle and diet advice, back today for a foot check and j asked about testing so I can watch what’s happening and adjust foods/activity levels accordingly, but I was advised it’s only really for people on meds, which I was half expecting. Also to eat everything in moderation..as j said before..my diet is already pretty healthy although I am overweight..I just generally prefer healthy foods. My levels were hbac1..56 and fasted 8.6..so really I want to lower this ..next appointment February for bloods but I’ve an eye test and am awaiting the Desmond course info..any advice??????...thanks in advance. (My doctors are generally very good but tbh I just feel I should be doing more to help myself)

Hi there, others will be along soon but the first question to be asked is can you give us a typical day's food? It's not so much about whether the food is deemed 'healthy' as such but whether it is healthy for you or not, ie, will it raise your glucose levels. As a start that gives the 'experts' a chance to advise . x

Reactions: blubelle1

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @blubelle1 , and welcome,

It's all a lot to take in. So please, do give yourself a moment to adjust, learn as much as you can at your own pace (usually diagnosis is a shock, and that makes it hard to absorb a lot of new information), and cut yourself some slack. The thing is, you have a metabolic disorder. That means that what's generally considered healthy, is everything but healthy for you, quite often... I know I was flailing when I was first diagnosed, and all the information on diet I was getting through official channels was the exact same diet that got me morbidly obese and diabetic to start with. The medication they put me on made me rather ill, so I went looking for alternatives... Took me eons to get it right, mainly because I didn't find this place until long after I sorted it out by myself. So here's what I wish someone'd told me when I first started out: https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html (Let me know if the link doesn't work eh). It's a bit of a quick-start guide, as there's so much more information out there, but it's a point to start at.

And your first instinct was a good one: get a meter. You won't get funded one, as you've already found out, but they're rather invaluable tools when it comes to finding out what foods work for you and which don't. I went trhough a thousand euro's worth of test strips that first year, but that was also because I didn't know how to efficiently test. Basically, do it before a meal and 2 hours after the first bite. If you go up more than 2.0 mmol/l, the meal was carbier than you could process out again. And after a while you know which meals are fine and which aren't, so you can test a whole lot less. These days I only do it when I'm feeling off, or when i have a meal I didn't prepare myself (Restaurants like to add honey and such without mentioning it in the menu... Yikes.).

All in all though, this is a bit of a journey, but if you tackle this, you'll get your bloodsugars down into the normal range AND drop weight. So all in all... Take heart. I'm not the only one here who got her T2 under control without medication.

Good luck!
Jo

blubelle1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the advice:)!!!...I’d thought I might have to get my own meter etc so really that’s no surprise..I just kind of felt I was being advised there was no need when o think the exact opposite..otherwise how can I know??!!..typical day of food firme would be coffee in the morning (sadly still with one sugar !!)..then either oatmeal and fruit, or whole meal toast and egg...usually mid morning. Lunch might be a whole meal tuna sandwich with onion and lemon, tea with a sweetener, or water, or if I have it made, homemade soup, dinner would be either fish and green veg, or pasta and salad, and now I’m keeping portions lower. I make my own sauces, so fresh tomatoes, garlic, vegetables. Snacks are possibly some olives, or grapes, watermelon or a yogurt(skyr plus fruit), or activia..I avoid the fruit ones. The very occasional time I might have crisps they are baked ones rather than fried varieties. I’ve stopped red meat, upped fish, and bread is always whole meal. However, I’ve also got other long term health issues..asthma for which I’m on both tablets and inhalers, a blood condition god which I take anti coagulants and omeprazol...None of which I can stop so I really want to avoid yet more medication if possible.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

I can see you try to eat a healthy diet - but a healthy diet for the general population is not a healthy diet for T2 diabetics I'm afraid. When you get a meter (and you really must get one) you will see what I mean. Oatmeal, fruit, bread of any description, pasta will all raise blood sugar levels because of the carb and sugar content. For yogurts you need a plain full fat Greek yogurt, not one of the plastic alternatives that are often loaded with sugar. There is no reason to stop eating red meat unless you particularly want to - meat will not raise blood sugar levels and will provide essential vitamins and minerals.

All carbohydrate converts to glucose once in the system, so it needs to be reduced. Fruit is a particular danger to us because of the fructose, which can end up as fat round the liver if we eat too much of it. Grapes and bananas, plus dried fruits, are the worst, along with fruit juices. Berries are OK, such as strawberries and raspberries.

You can start by checking the nutrition labels on anything in packets or containers. Look for the "total carbohydrate" amount, which you will see tells you the number of grams of carbs per 100g. The higher this number, the worse they are. Many of us stick to "no more than 10g per 100g" and many of us stick to 5g or less.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

blubelle1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

I can see you try to eat a healthy diet - but a healthy diet for the general population is not a healthy diet for T2 diabetics I'm afraid. When you get a meter (and you really must get one) you will see what I mean. Oatmeal, fruit, bread of any description, pasta will all raise blood sugar levels because of the carb and sugar content. For yogurts you need a plain full fat Greek yogurt, not one of the plastic alternatives that are often loaded with sugar. There is no reason to stop eating red meat unless you particularly want to - meat will not raise blood sugar levels and will provide essential vitamins and minerals.

All carbohydrate converts to glucose once in the system, so it needs to be reduced. Fruit is a particular danger to us because of the fructose, which can end up as fat round the liver if we eat too much of it. Grapes and bananas, plus dried fruits, are the worst, along with fruit juices. Berries are OK, such as strawberries and raspberries.

You can start by checking the nutrition labels on anything in packets or containers. Look for the "total carbohydrate" amount, which you will see tells you the number of grams of carbs per 100g. The higher this number, the worse they are. Many of us stick to "no more than 10g per 100g" and many of us stick to 5g or less.

This isthe exact problem I’m having..and the one I tried unsuccessfully to get across to the nurse at todays appointment..eating generally healthily is not going to cut it..otherwise I’d not be diabetic at the moment. Her advice was don’t become obsessed with your diet, you can eat everything in moderation ...but through doing a little research myself I knew that people who were diagnosed were finding otherwise. Apparently they just monitor for a year??!!...to me this is crazy. I’ll define be buying a meter, and thanks for the dietary advice...grapes and bananas are definitely things I eat regularly. ...at least now I have a clearer idea!!...thank you.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This isthe exact problem I’m having..and the one I tried unsuccessfully to get across to the nurse at todays appointment..eating generally healthily is not going to cut it..otherwise I’d not be diabetic at the moment. Her advice was don’t become obsessed with your diet, you can eat everything in moderation ...but through doing a little research myself I knew that people who were diagnosed were finding otherwise. Apparently they just monitor for a year??!!...to me this is crazy. I’ll define be buying a meter, and thanks for the dietary advice...grapes and bananas are definitely things I eat regularly. ...at least now I have a clearer idea!!...thank you.
There are great food ideas and recipes on www.dietdoctor.com many for free.
Maybe try some Dr Jason Fung videos about lowering carb intake and a bit of fasting would also help.
As others have said your "healthy" diet doesn't really work for T2.
I'd re-introduce some red meat and cut back on starchy food and fruit.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Unfortunately general healthy eating is still pushed by the majority of health care professionals for us Type 2s, but there is growing evidence that cutting carbohydrates is the was to go. Many of us here have found it works, my blood sugar levels were back down to normal within four months of diagnosis and I have kept them there for over two years since. I currently eat between 30 - 50g carbs per day. By testing you will find what foods you can and can’t tolerate and the level of carbs you can eat to keep your blood sugars normal too.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Eating a healthy diet full of brown carbs low fat and low calorie, avoiding red meat too - I was practically spherical, felt very old and was diagnosed with diabetes - what's to like about eating that way?
Dr Atkins was right, and I feel so much better having gone back to doing dreadful things like having steak and mushrooms for breakfast.

blubelle1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eating a healthy diet full of brown carbs low fat and low calorie, avoiding red meat too - I was practically spherical, felt very old and was diagnosed with diabetes - what's to like about eating that way?
Dr Atkins was right, and I feel so much better having gone back to doing dreadful things like having steak and mushrooms for breakfast.

Same!!!...the longer I eat “healthily” the worse I’m feeling...and weight is just continuing to creep up!...I’m going to go low carb and eat to address the diabetes rather than trying to lose the weight by eating the general “healthy “?diet..it’s clearly doing nothing for me...reading all of the advice here it seems like that’s putting the cart before the horse...I’ll also be buying a meter to do my own tests..thanks for all the great advice..it’s been a great help x :)

Reactions: JAT1

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Same!!!...the longer I eat “healthily” the worse I’m feeling...and weight is just continuing to creep up!...I’m going to go low carb and eat to address the diabetes rather than trying to lose the weight by eating the general “healthy “?diet..it’s clearly doing nothing for me...reading all of the advice here it seems like that’s putting the cart before the horse...I’ll also be buying a meter to do my own tests..thanks for all the great advice..it’s been a great help x :)
One more thing: I've cut carbs waaay down low, (20 grams or less a day, called a ketogenic diet). But before I went that far, and was just at 40 to 75 grams of carbs a day, things like my astma and rheumatism bothered me a lot less. (When I tried to refill my Ventolin script this year to restock my medicin drawer, I had to ask the doc for it myself rather than just getting a renewal, because I hadn't asked for it in years).Carbs are inflammatory by nature, so... Could well be you'll feel a whole lot better when you cut carbs, not just seeing improvement in bloodsugars, but elsewhere too. It's not a cure-all, but it does alleviate a LOT of other issues as well. Try cutting out the bread, pasta, spuds, rice, oatmeal/cereal and fruits (berries are fine). Meat's fine of any colour, so's eggs, olives, above-ground veggies, full fat greek yoghurt and whatnot. You might want to google bulletproof coffee... It's a lot of adjusting to do, and you don't have to get it right overnight, but I think you will find you'll be feeling a lot better over all. And possibly sooner than you think.

blubelle1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One more thing: I've cut carbs waaay down low, (20 grams or less a day, called a ketogenic diet). But before I went that far, and was just at 40 to 75 grams of carbs a day, things like my astma and rheumatism bothered me a lot less. (When I tried to refill my Ventolin script this year to restock my medicin drawer, I had to ask the doc for it myself rather than just getting a renewal, because I hadn't asked for it in years).Carbs are inflammatory by nature, so... Could well be you'll feel a whole lot better when you cut carbs, not just seeing improvement in bloodsugars, but elsewhere too. It's not a cure-all, but it does alleviate a LOT of other issues as well. Try cutting out the bread, pasta, spuds, rice, oatmeal/cereal and fruits (berries are fine). Meat's fine of any colour, so's eggs, olives, above-ground veggies, full fat greek yoghurt and whatnot. You might want to google bulletproof coffee... It's a lot of adjusting to do, and you don't have to get it right overnight, but I think you will find you'll be feeling a lot better over all. And possibly sooner than you think.

Thanks very much!!!...I know I’m going to find it hard to lower my pasta intake..but other than that I’m quite happy to part with the carbs..if there’s a chance it might help out the asthma too then that makes it a lot easier to swallow!!...and I’ll google the coffee!!:)))..thank you!!!!

Reactions: jjraak

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you like macaroni cheese, try cauliflower cheese - I steam cauliflower until it is just not quite done - al dente is the term - then take a fairly hefty dish warmed in the oven, put in the cauliflower, cover in cream cheese - you can add herbs, or spices to pep it up if you like, then I throw on grated Red leicester , but any that you fancy is probably OK, but don't stint.
Replace the dish in the oven - still on warm, and leave it until the cheese has melted and gone a bit golden on top.
You can make pasta replacements from all sorts - there are spiral cutters which make strips or shreds from anything - courgette is often used as a noodle replacement, but you can make them with beaten egg, thinned down a little with cold water, then cook them into pancakes, roll and slice into strips.

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
youll do no wrong by taking note of the above postings... my first blood test was 112 or 12.5%..i bought the blood sugar diet by dr. mosley which kick started weight loss got a meter tested about 8 times a day and recorded in a book..by the time the desmond course came up which was a week before the second blood test up i had reduced the figures to 5.5% 36..most of the stuff on the desmond course was soooo out of date ...eatwell plate etc. i endured it but nearly left at half time but i had a word with one of the speakers and showed her my b.s diary.. and she couldnt believe the figures ..at the end of the course she asked me to speak to the others about what i had done and how ..i do wonder how many went my way or just took the pills and their advice..

mouseee

Shredded courgette as pasta works really well. Pan fry with some butter until just cooked. The little spiraliser I have makes loooonnnng pieces so it's very spaghetti like to eat.
As a pasta lover myself it's hard not to eat it. But, although I slip on other things sometimes, I haven't eaten pasta since diagnosis.

blubelle1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
youll do no wrong by taking note of the above postings... my first blood test was 112 or 12.5%..i bought the blood sugar diet by dr. mosley which kick started weight loss got a meter tested about 8 times a day and recorded in a book..by the time the desmond course came up which was a week before the second blood test up i had reduced the figures to 5.5% 36..most of the stuff on the desmond course was soooo out of date ...eatwell plate etc. i endured it but nearly left at half time but i had a word with one of the speakers and showed her my b.s diary.. and she couldnt believe the figures ..at the end of the course she asked me to speak to the others about what i had done and how ..i do wonder how many went my way or just took the pills and their advice..

Exactly!!...this is my fear..that by following the general “healthy diet” I’d do myself more harm than good, I’ve not had the Desmond course yet..I’m waiting patiently!!...si hoping I have it before the next diabetes spot in February, I’d wondered if they’d have more advice on different approaches...apparently not. :))

blubelle1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Shredded courgette as pasta works really well. Pan fry with some butter until just cooked. The little spiraliser I have makes loooonnnng pieces so it's very spaghetti like to eat.
As a pasta lover myself it's hard not to eat it. But, although I slip on other things sometimes, I haven't eaten pasta since diagnosis.

Yes...the pasta is very much the weak point!!!!...my local supermarket does a good selection of vegetable “pastas “ and “rices”..I’ll definitely give them a try...:)))..thank you

blubelle1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes...the pasta is very much the weak point!!!!...my local supermarket does a good selection of vegetable “pastas “ and “rices”..I’ll definitely give them a try...:)))..thank you