Newby just Starting Bydureon

steph65

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi folks....about time I joined in..........I was diagnosed type 2 diabetic 20+ yrs ago. After an initial stage of trying to control my BSugars by diet, which failed, I was given Metformin and Glicazide(?) and Actos. This along with diet kept me controlled but didn't help me deal with weight problem...Over the years I became aware that by reducing carbs I could lose weight but it was an up-hill struggle. Eventually I was too well controlled, got muzzy headed, lethargic etc etc and constantly needed to boost my bloods sugars...I was referred to a consultant who immediately stopped the Glicazide and Actos, he told me I'd probably loose weight easier without the Glicazide. Very true, my weight loss increased but my control of BS increased.....so now a few months on I am about to start on Bydureon.

I'm not worried about injecting, but I'm a bit fazed by the list of side effects, and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what their experience has been with this drug. I like to keep positive but am surprised how nervous I feel starting this treatment.

steph65

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Hi, easiest is to do todays food intake which is pretty well what I have most days.... On waking. Hot lemon, breakfast; bacon, tomato tablespoonful baked beans. Mid-morning nectarine, Lunch prawn salad, lettuce,grated courgette, tomato, beetroot, rocket, cuecumber, dressed with lowfat yoghurt and lemon juice, followed by small bit from husbands banana.....(ouch!!!) mid afternoon, half nectarine, Evening meal, Small portion of Haggis, green beans, and swede. square of 80% chocolate 8pm. Sometimes I'll have a yogurt or couple of oat cakes if I'm extra peckish, but find now I'm off Glicazide my appetite is reduced. I should add, I cook from fresh and eat raw when poss but sometimes those cream puffs scream to be picked up. However, my diet is so clean these days that I find I dislike junk foods and can't eat out without some reaction, I check labels for additives etc,.. in fact I feel healthier now than I have done for years Thanks for responding.

steph65

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Yes, sounds very good. Is the low-fat yogurt no-added sugar?
Hi Daibell, yes....I've learnt the hard way to wean myself from carb addiction. It's so important to check labels for all that hidden sugar. Sugar and starch, particularly wheat are no no's for me now, unless in a social context. Even then I'm careful. I just don't want to get back into the state of craving carbs and never feeling full......it's been a steep learning curve, not helped by the original advice I was given about regular carbs at each meal by health professionals.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)