Newby Type 2

peter.s

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I am newly diagnosed at beginning of December was put straight on to gliclazide one pill in morning but wasn't bringing my bg down now on 2 a day I'm morning and evening it's all a bit confusing as lack of information from doc and diabetes nurse learned more from dietitian heard about this forum thought I would give it a go so hear it am and hello to everyone

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Butternut Squash, Cabbage and confrontation.
Hi I am newly diagnosed at beginning of December was put straight on to gliclazide one pill in morning but wasn't bringing my bg down now on 2 a day I'm morning and evening it's all a bit confusing as lack of information from doc and diabetes nurse learned more from dietitian heard about this forum thought I would give it a go so hear it am and hello to everyone

Hi and Welcome to the forum.
I've only been diagnosed 3 months, type 2 and have found this forum invaluable for information, advise and support. Ask any questions you like non are too big, too small or too silly, just remember you may be asking something that some one else is too shy to ask so you may be helping them at the same time as yourself. Just keep in mind were not experts but there is a wealth of first hand experience here, you will be offered several opinions it's for you to judge what advise to try and what will work for you.
My advise to you is if you have not been offered a Blood glucose monitor than buy one, its invaluable and will enable you to work out what foods suit you and what you can get a way with eating. were all different so what works for one does not mean it suits another. I can eat porridge and fruit but many can't.
Good luck and let us know how things go for you.
Maggie

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi and welcome to the forum. It sounds as if you have made a good start. I am going to tag @daisy1 for some info for you. There is a link to the low carb program in her info that you might want to check out and all the info is worth a very thorough read.

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Butternut Squash, Cabbage and confrontation.
Thanks maggie I've been given a monitor I've been checking my bloods daily and in 4-5 weeks it's went from in in the 20s down to in the 9s and 10s

That's a good start then. Can I ask how often you test?
Many suggest before each meal and 2 hours after to see if certain foods affect your glucose readings, then again at bed time.
Have you considered trying the Low carb high fat diet, it works for me, in 3 months I have gone from a Hba1c of 53 -40 and blood sugars between 5.5-7.
Basically you reduce carbs (which convert into sugars) so thats things like pasta, bread, flour, rice and pastry. Then increase fats. Theres more information about it on the main site and many here who are better able to advise than me. I've also lost 1stone 9lbs on it so far.
Maggie

peter.s

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks chalup at the moment I'm testing in morning then after lunch then before bed tonight my bg is 16.9 which is high when diagnosed my hba1c was 80 I was told to cut out sugar all I drank was full fat Pepsi or coke now no sugar

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Peter here's what I've done, tested my BG before meals and then 2 hrs after and found that certain carbs and the amounts I was eating cause a large spike in blood glucose readings. Foods like porridge on a morning and stuff like potatoes and pasta at night, bread too. I'm now slowly reducing the amounts of these foods or cutting them out altogether in the case of porridge and seeing not such higher spikes. At the start my testing mid December my after meals BG reading were as high as 16, now they are lower because I'm using the meter. Obviously I've cut out all of my snacks and sugary stuff a while ago (with the exception of xmas) which has helped too.

peter.s

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Cheers johnjoe13 I've went from all sugary things to virtually no sugar God think I got the deetees

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@peter.s

Hello Peter and welcome to the forum :) Here is the basic information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 220,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@peter.s
Hi,ive only been diagnosed type 2 a few months and like you.i knew nothing about diabetes but ive learned everything I know from the people on this site
Any questions just ask and someone will have the answer for you.good luck x

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Good afternoon @peter.s I was diagnosed with type 2 in October 2016 and without all the advice and help,from thie members and staff I dread to think where I would be now,my local NHS gave me a lot of wrong inforemation and no help at all,just tested the pulse in my feet ,weighed me,and said don't worry will see you in 3 months ,never even told me what my BG was only that it was highif it wasn't for all my friends here I would still be walking in the dark to this day,this is the book I purchased so that I would know whow many carbs I was eating with each meal,I found it really useful and have learnt a lot from reading it every day,my carb I try to keep around 80grams a day,no sugar,cakes,processed food of any kind,no potatoes,Pasta,Rice but i do have two slices of wholemeal a day,this is only what I have decided to do for the last 3 months,tomorrow is my first assestment at 8am,then I shall awiat my results,I am a worrier with anxiety but have got this far with all my friends on this forum,its been very difficult but hopefully well worthwhile:)

Reactions: Liam1955

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@peter.s - Hello and Welcome to the Forum :). Everyone is helpful and supportive on here, just ask any questions you may have - someone will provide you with an answer.

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. Were you told to monitor your Blood Sugar? It was only at my second GP appointment I was told it was important when on Gliclazide. I got lots of mixed and not useful information when I was diagnosed just three weeks ago, so its a common issue.

Reactions: Liam1955

peter.s

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi lowedb no one told me about how often I should test my bg it was reading posts on this forum that I realised I had to do it regularly and as a bus driver I've to test 2 hrs before driving and regularly throughout the day I learned more from dietitian than the doctor or diabetes nurse

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@lowedb - Were you issued with a meter from your GP to monitor your blood sugars?
Taking this drug (Gliclazide) can send you Hypo and you should always have something sweet to take if need be. A lot of people tend to have Jelly Babies, or a glass of orange juice, (I carry Glucose Tablets as I take Insulin) or you could just bring forward your next meal. And then test 2 hours after eating to check your blood sugar.

peter.s

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Liam1955 was given a meter from diabetes nurse and told to check once every couple of days but buy reading posts on this forum is realised I should check it more regularly I check first thing then 2 hours after lunch and 2 hours after evening meal