Newby Type 2

Orian30

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I am newly diagnosed at beginning of December was put straight on to gliclazide one pill in morning but wasn't bringing my bg down now on 2 a day I'm morning and evening it's all a bit confusing as lack of information from doc and diabetes nurse learned more from dietitian heard about this forum thought I would give it a go so hear it am and hello to everyone
Hi I was also diagnosed just before Xmas and am on 500mg of Metaformin SR once a day for 20 days. I've cut sugar and changed my diet significantly. My BGL was 17.8 and the lowest it has gone is 10.3. My doctor wants to see me in 3 months, should I go sooner if my BGL doesn't drop. When I find myself getting that hungry nausea feeling and when I test my blood it's still in the 12's.

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@lowedb - Were you issued with a meter from your GP to monitor your blood sugars?
Taking this drug (Gliclazide) can send you Hypo and you should always have something sweet to take if need be. A lot of people tend to have Jelly Babies, or a glass of orange juice, (I carry Glucose Tablets as I take Insulin) or you could just bring forward your next meal. And then test 2 hours after eating to check your blood sugar.
Yes I got a meter, though only with enough test strips to last a couple of days, and no information about driving / testing. I got that two days later along with more strips so now I know what I have to do. Just a worry that I was driving two days without knowing and without proper supplies to test. That's why I mentioned it to peter.s as it sounded like he didn't know either. I've got lucozade in the cars and house, but you have reminded me I need to pack something (probably tablets) as I'm travelling Monday.

peter.s

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Orian30 my bgs are still high first test this morning was 10.8 I'm on gliclazide twice a day and I have drastically changed my diet and still can't get it down if I was you I would go back to docs might have to up your meds

Reactions: Liam1955

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I was also diagnosed just before Xmas and am on 500mg of Metaformin SR once a day for 20 days. I've cut sugar and changed my diet significantly. My BGL was 17.8 and the lowest it has gone is 10.3. My doctor wants to see me in 3 months, should I go sooner if my BGL doesn't drop. When I find myself getting that hungry nausea feeling and when I test my blood it's still in the 12's.
I had that a couple of times when my BG first started to come down. It's stopped now mostly. My BG is coming down slowly but steadily and is generally 7s / 8s over the last few days though I started in a similar place to you. I'm on 40mg Gliclazide and 500mg Metformin at the moment, and I'm to add a second 500mg Metformin in a weeks time, then drop the Gliclazide once I'm down to the targets they have given me. They are seeing me much more often than you though, my third appointment is only 6 weeks after diagnosis.

Reactions: Liam1955

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Orian30 - Illness, Worry, Stress and being Anxious all cause our Blood Sugars to rise. 10.3 is better than 17.8 and indicates treatment is working. But, don't take your Diabetic medication on an empty stomach as it will cause stomach problems.
Metformin takes time to build up in your system to reach it's full effect. If blood sugars have been high during the day, don't miss/skip meals. Having a handful of Raw Nuts like: Almonds, Pecans, Walnuts and Cashews are great for lowering and controlling Blood Sugars. Which is what I was going to suggest to @lowedb to have whilst travelling.