Newby

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Guys,

Just had the news that I'm diabetic. First blood test last week at 16.1 just done the fasting blood test this morning.
Bought a self test to try and settle my mind which arrived yesterday. First test this morning, pre breakfast 15.5 second test two hours later 19.5. This of course concerns me, I've had no bread, potatoes, rice or beer since seeing the doctor last week.

Should I be worried that my next contact with doctor is not for two weeks, I've probably been at these levels for a few years without knowing it but I have drastically cut out carbs in the last week. Too soon to worry?

I do suffer from blurry vision when tired, more regular than I care to admit and pee a lot although I tend to drink a lot of water and more so after any food that is overly salted.

50th birthday in a couple of weeks so now apprehensive about consuming huge amount of beer, something that I must admit has probably been my downfall over the past 30 years, pear belly as reference.

Good to find somewhere to talk to those in the know...

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, and welcome. It's early days, so I wouldn't worry too much. If I recall correctly, my levels were about the same when I was first diagnosed and they're much better now. These things take time, and no two people are the same, so don't be put off by people announcing massive and rapid drops in their levels after a short period because mostly it's not like that, and it may take several months before things are significantly better.

As you're probably well aware already, there is a certain amount of, erm, debate, about whether or not significantly reducing carbohydrate intake is the way to go - I'm pretty sure it has helped me a lot (though I'm not a hardcore-20-g-per-day type) but I've also been on metformin, which I suspect has helped somewhat as well (again, other opinions on this are available :))

A bit of exercise can help as well: it's really a combination of things that will help you get your levels under control and it will happen, just don't necessarily expect miracles overnight.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm beer. It's not that great if you're T2, but I'm sure you know that already. I was never a great beer or lager drinker so it's less of an issue for me, but I tend to stick to spirits - particularly scotch, with soda or diet dry ginger or gin with slimline tonic - and good red wine, which has always been my favourite tipple. Red wine is lowish in carbs and better than white wine, spirits, I think, have none at all.

The eyesight thing should settle down as your B/G levels reduce. At some point you will be put into the annual retinopathy screening programme, which will provide an early warning of any problem, but it's very common for newly diagnosed T2s to get blurred vision as their levels adjust.

Reactions: 4 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, you have come to the right place.
Most of us have been where you are now.
The forum recommends low carb diet, exercise lifestyle, which has been hugely successful.
I've tagged @daisy1 to give you the newcomers information. Have a read around and educate yourself regarding how you want to get your diabetes in control.
Ask any questions, someone will answer.

Beer, you will have to find an alternative, I'm afraid.
And it's a marathon not a sprint, slowly reduce your carb intake until you can go really low carb.

Reactions: 4 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Lord Beaverbrook

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

A very useful reply from @jay hay-char. Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it helpful. Ask as many questions as you like and someone will be able to reply.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 140,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi & welcome to a wealth of knowledge to help gain control.
You say you have cut carbs, great, what would your normal daus food intake be now, breakfast, lunch, dinner & snacks & we can may be give you some pointers on what you may still be over doing carb intake on.
An increase in fat is usually included when going lower carb, like butter, full fat products not low, hard cheese, cream cheese., yogurt & good oils like olive & coconut etc. This then replaces energy from that lost from lower carbs.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that, it is reassuring that others have experienced the same.

Must say that I am partial to a half bottle of Rioja now and again, so maybe it's time to think about stocking up on bottles rather than tins :)

Response appreciated

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Paul59

Just bought first ever jar of coconut oil...£6 for a jar.... Won't be able to afford the pub at this rate!!

Reactions: 5 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Paul59

Just bought first ever jar of coconut oil...£6 for a jar.... Won't be able to afford the pub at this rate!!
Isn't that a good thing?

There is no reason why, after getting your blood glucose levels back to normal(ish), that you can't have the odd one as a treat.

But only as part of a calorie, carbohydrate free, full fat lifestyle. Lol

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hola Paul

It wasn't that long ago that I was a blurry eyed, tired, confused and frustrated individual. Had a blood test for a recurring absess and bingo - you guessed it t2 diabetic.

It's a hell of a lot to take in and vai my initial own research and latterly this great forum I do believe that I am 'getting there'. It takes time but so worth it from all the tips, advice and support on this site.

£6 for a tub of coconut oil seems rather a lot. Our local gurka shop sells it for £2.29 as I just picked up some more yesterday so make sure you shop around!

So, even with my 10% commission, I reckon you would still have enough from £6 for a sneaky Rioja down the pub.

Reactions: 3 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Yes the low-carb is the way to go as it's known that the body turns carbs into glucose in the stomach and uses this energy source in preference to fats. Metformin only makes a small difference to blood sugar and the diet has the most effect. Exercise is always useful.

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
nosher8355

Vodka and diet tonic seem to be the order of the day for a carb free diet, life isn't that bad after all.

I will miss the freshly baked bread though

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
nosher8355

Vodka and diet tonic seem to be the order of the day for a carb free diet, life isn't that bad after all.

I will miss the freshly baked bread though

It's not to everyone's taste, but I like Bergen bread, it is made with linseed and soya, about 9 carbs a slice and is great toasted, you can have butter (yuk) on it! And only £1 in Iceland, other stores carry it but it costs more.

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The 20g carbs limit, is that per day or per meal?

Is this the target to aim for or is there some official guidelines out there to adhere to?

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
20g per day is pretty hardcore, though some people manage it. Not sure I'd be comfortable.

I've seen various ranges quoted on here. From my limited knowledge I'd say that the average for a normal adult is about 250g per day (but depends on weight, sex, height etc), and for someone low carbing, anything between about 70 - 150g per day is low to medium. Below that and you're getting into headbanger territory :). Maybe aim to cut down to about 100g per day to start with, and then see how it goes.

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Paul59

It lasts ages as up don't really need alot. I scrape with the top with a fork to crumb it up.
As long as the pub is for spirits or wine then fine but bitter & lager & such no no's, far too much sugar.

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's not to everyone's taste, but I like Bergen bread, it is made with linseed and soya, about 9 carbs a slice and is great toasted, you can have butter (yuk) on it! And only £1 in Iceland, other stores carry it but it costs more.
Make sure the Burgen is the linseed & soya not the sunflower & chia, for some reason it has more carbs the s&c 1, I love it toasted with peanut butter & melted cheese. Yummmy. £q in asda also.

Reactions: 3 people

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The 20g carbs limit, is that per day or per meal?

Is this the target to aim for or is there some official guidelines out there to adhere to?
It what your meter tells you is your limit really. If what you eat now gives readings above 2mmol of the pre meal reading then look at the meal content & ask your self what were the high carbs from in the meal, then next time cut down or leave out what you thought gave the high reading next time. It may even be a combination or food in the meal if there are a few carb laden items there. Let your meter be your guide. Portion size is important.

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Paul59
It what your meter tells you is your limit really. If what you eat now gives readings above 2mmol of the pre meal reading then look at the meal content & ask your self what were the high carbs from in the meal, then next time cut down or leave out what you thought gave the high reading next time. It may even be a combination or food in the meal if there are a few carb laden items there. Let your meter be your guide. Portion size is important.

I know it's early days for me yet but this is what confuses me:

Today pre lunch reading of 14.1

Lunch of 2 crispbakes 5.4g carb each topped with 2 pork sausage total 15g carbs and 2 poached eggs total 0.8g carbs, squirt of low sugar tomato sauce followed by an orange and some nuts.drink of water with no added sugar fruit juice concentrate.
I would think 30g carbs covers entire meal

Post lunch reading 19.5

Where did I go wrong????

Last edited by a moderator:

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Probably the Orange? If I had an orange it would spike my bg. Fruit has a lot of sugar in it.