Newcastle diet - a little worried

Pauline2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am interested in trying the Newcastle Diet but am a bit worried as to when i lose the weight and get my blood sugars down to a normal range do i go back to eating a normal diet or do i keep up with the shakes? Surely once you start eating again you will put the weight back on?

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am interested in trying the Newcastle Diet but am a bit worried as to when i lose the weight and get my blood sugars down to a normal range do i go back to eating a normal diet or do i keep up with the shakes? Surely once you start eating again you will put the weight back on?

You do the diet for 8 weeks, your BG will come down very quickly as the fat and sugar stores in your liver go. Your pancreas however will take a bit longer which is why you need to continue for the 2 months.
Once you have completed the 2 months Taylor advises that as you return to a normal diet you reduce your food intake by 1/3rd
I assume he means by 1/3rd of what your used to eat.

If you do go ahead ( I hope you do) let your doctor or diabetes nurse know as really you need to stop your medications, you will be shocked how fast you BG drops, I do not know what meds you are taking but some may cause you to have hypos if your BG drops too low.

Reactions: Freema

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Personly I think it can often be better to start a low-carb diet first then once avoiding most carbs is part of day to day living, do the Newcastle Diet. However the Newcastle Diet. get BG down so quickly that most meds can be stopped within days, this is a lot easier than trying to adjust doses with "low carb".

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Pauline2015 :)

I notice your avatar says you're Type 2 on Insulin - is this correct? If it is, you'll need to let your team know as your insulin doses might need adjusting.

If you're not on insulin, you can change your 'type' through your Profile :)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I read the other day that idea is to lower weight quickly in 8-12 weeks by consuming 800 calories then have a transition period (food reintroduction phase) for 6 weeks before resuming your normal diet - which they called 'weight loss maintenance' but obviously reducing the quantity you eat to ensure you stay at the same weight.

Problem is I can't find it now! :( Its probably somewhere on the Newcastle University website

Reactions: Freema

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Found it!!!! Its on page 5 here -> http://www.ncl.ac.uk/media/wwwnclacuk/newcastlemagneticresonancecentre/files/direct-protocol.pdf

TDR phase (0-12wks) A commercial micronutrient-replete 825–853 kcal/d liquid formula diet (soups and shakes) will be provided (Cambridge Weight Plan) to replace usual foods, with ample fluids (2.25 L), for 12 weeks. Oral hypoglycaemic agents (OHA), antihypertensive and diuretic drugs will be withdrawn on commencement of TDR, and reintroduced (as per study protocols) if T2DM or hypertension returns. Aspirin will be continued if prescribed because of a previous MI (prior to the previous 6 months), but discontinued if prescribed solely because of T2DM. Beta-blockers prescribed for the management of angina will be continued. A soluble fibre supplement (Fybogel 2 × 3.5 g/day) will be prescribed to reduce constipation. Participants will return for review one week after commencement on the TDR and at 2 weekly intervals thereafter until the commencement of the FR stage (Fig. 1). To allow some flexibility for patients whose commitments, or life events, prevent achievement of 15 kg at 12 weeks, or if individuals wish to achieve more weight loss, the TDR phase may continue up to 20 weeks. If BMI falls below 23 kg/m2 during the TDR phase, participants will be moved forward to the FR and weight loss maintenance phases. Food reintroduction phase (weeks 12–18) The FR phase includes a stepped transition to a foodbased diet based on the “Eatwell” guidelines [24] while reducing TDR. To allow flexibility for participants whose confidence varies, the FR phase can be varied between protocol-defined limits of 2–8 weeks before switching to full food-based weight loss maintenance. Participants will monitor weight on a weekly basis and compare this with caloric intake and activity levels. Participants will return for review at 2 weekly intervals throughout the FR phase. Weight loss maintenance phase.

Weight loss maintenance phase (weeks 19–104) Participants will be advised to follow a food based diet and will be provided with an individually tailored energy

Muzzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am doing the Newcastle diet. When 8 weeks is up I intend to eat healthier than I was doing by cutting out the crisps, chocolates and rubbish foods. I am going to eat low carb to maintain and control bloods.
Good luck and listen to what ring I tells you if you are on insulin.
Peerless is also correct regarding meds. When your sugars drop, you need to make sure you don't let your meds take your sugars too low.
I was taking my meds when I started but when my bloods dropped to 5.5 I reduced my meds until
I no longer take any meds whatsoever.

fati2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hate arguments
Hi! I'm not on meds, but want to try the Newcastle diet, should I let my doctors know?

fati2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hate arguments
And where can I find the diet info from as I believe they have a daily plan of what you can eat and what you can't

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And where can I find the diet info from as I believe they have a daily plan of what you can eat and what you can't
Its a v low calorie diet with quite prescriptive parameters involving 3 diet shakes a day with limited amounts of veg
http://www.nhslothian.scot.nhs.uk/Services/A-Z/DiabetesService/PatientsCarers/Documents/SJH NEWCASTLE DIET BOOKLET2012.pdf
The blood sugar diet (book by michael mosely ) looks to a similar calorie limit but normal foods rather than shakes
https://www.worldofbooks.com/the-8-...MIjujputee2AIVbbXtCh0HZwDvEAQYASABEgKAZfD_BwE
https://www.amazon.co.uk/8-Week-Blood-Sugar-Diet-Recipe/dp/1780722931