NEWCASTLE DIET - WEEK 6 UPDATE

Muzzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
End of week 6
Been a really tough hunger week for some reason but have stuck to the diet religiously.

Today my weight is 12st 10.5lbs so just 2.5lbs away from my targeted weight of 12st 8lbs (started out at 15st 2lbs and as I understand it, I have to lose 15% ?).

Blood pressure is completely normal at 120/60

My Fasting BGs this week have been, 5.5, 5.7, 4.9, 4.8 5.1, 6.2 & 7.8
Was really pleased getting into the 4's for the first time
But can't understand why the last two days have elevated?

I was on
Dapagliflozin/Metforminhydrochlorid - 5mg/1000mg twice a day (Diabetes T2)
Sitagliptin - 100mg once a day (Diabetes T2)
Atorvastatin - 40mg once per day(Cholesterol)
Losartan - 25mg once a day (blood pressure)
Omeprazole - 20mg once per day (Gastro-resistant capsules)

Now on Zero meds and have been for about 4 weeks

Plan is to go for a long range test end of next week-ish.

Also plan to continue with the diet even if I reach 12 st 8 lbs as I figure any further weight loss will only increase my chances of getting rid of the fats around them
Pancreas and a Liver - Right?

Any advice would be welcome right now as only doing what I THINK is right

Reactions: urbanracer

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When you start eating "normally" you need to eat about 2/3 of what you use to eat, it would be sensible to keep carbs low forever but you should be able to eat limited carbs at some meals a few times a week. It may be a good option to move onto 5:2 at the end of the 8 weeks, so you eat normal food for 5 days week and keep doing the diet for 2 days a week.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My Fasting BGs this week have been, 5.5, 5.7, 4.9, 4.8 5.1, 6.2 & 7.8
Was really pleased getting into the 4's for the first time
But can't understand why the last two days have elevated?

Did you eat or do anything different the days before those high fastings, and what were your bedtime readings beforehand?

Well done on sticking to it, and for your achievements so far. :)

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Great results Muzzer, I would not be overly concerned about the rises in Fasting BG. I have had the same thing happen this past week without any changes to my diet.
Also the 15% figure I believe was the average weight loss in the first trial. I was concerned about that too, but I really do not think it is as much of a concern as losing the fat from the liver and pancreas.

Muzzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Did you eat or do anything different the days before those high fastings, and what were your bedtime readings beforehand?

Well done on sticking to it, and for your achievements so far. :)

Bluetit - Thanks

Didn't do anything different at all. Calorie intake was under 800 for the day.
Only thing I could think was I had Diaorreah (sp?)
Not sure that would elevate skugars though

Muzzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Great results Muzzer, I would not be overly concerned about the rises in Fasting BG. I have had the same thing happen this past week without any changes to my diet.
Also the 15% figure I believe was the average weight loss in the first trial. I was concerned about that too, but I really do not think it is as much of a concern as losing the fat from the liver and pancreas.

Peerless, Thanks
I thought you had to lose 15% otherwise you had not lost the necessary visceral fat from around the Liver and Pancreas.
So the only way of knowing is by testing at the end?

I will still target 15% (12st 8lbs) & continue with the diet for the full 8 weeks to maximise my weight loss/chances of getting rid of visceral fat. I can always put a few lbs back on carefully afterwards.

Reactions: Peerless67

Muzzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When you start eating "normally" you need to eat about 2/3 of what you use to eat, it would be sensible to keep carbs low forever but you should be able to eat limited carbs at some meals a few times a week. It may be a good option to move onto 5:2 at the end of the 8 weeks, so you eat normal food for 5 days week and keep doing the diet for 2 days a week.

Ringi, that's really helpful, thanks.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diaorrhea could definitely explain a rise in blood glucose - also viruses, food poisoning, fevers, infections (even something like toothache). :)