Newcastle Diet: Well here goes folks!!

Biffa1965

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning folks just thought I would introduce myself, names Bill and I have been a diagnosed type 2 Diabetic for almost 7 years now. during which time, I have to be brutally honest, I have not looked after myself. I suppose this lack of responsibility has been the reason as to why I find myself on the following medication per day.

6 x Metformin
2 x Gliclazide

1 X Amlodipine (BP)
1 X Candesartan (BP)
1 X Artorvastin

When I was first diagnosed I was a fairly big lad, I have to say. I weighed 21 stone 10ib but my weight was something I did address over the years and as from first thing this morning I weigh 16 stone 9ib. I just wish I could have shown the same commitment with regards to my BG levels. So why start the Newcastle Diet now you may ask. Well First and foremost I had a good talk to talk with my little lad who got himself upset for the very first time over my Diabetes and that just destroyed me. I have also been suffering from bouts of neuropathy for the first time. I know I cannot simply go on like this. I have to make this lifestyle change now and stick with it.

This decision to embark on the Newcastle Diet has not been taken lightly. I have been studied the research and have been closely monitoring various posts and threats on our Forums here. I have founds fellow members/posters such as Pipp, ,Andrew Colvin, Flashtash, Brettza and No Crbs4me very inspiring and of great help and support to others on this Diet. I have also sought the permission of my GP to start this (though I must admit I didn't get much encouragement from him, merely stated that he would monitor me)

So this morning I have taken my resting BG reading and its high = 13.04, but I have to start from somewhere. I have personally chosen to initially go with Slimfast Shakes for the first week with Shake that Weight on order in the meantime. The Mrs is a catering Supervisor so she's coming up with some innovative recipes for the veggies for me. I will be supplementing my diet with plenty of walking and other exercise.

I will keep everyone posted with regards to how things go and thanks for listening folks

Reactions: 10 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Good luck. Wish you all the best.

Reactions: 4 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi & welcome to your first posting @Biffa1965.

You have obviously been lurking in the background learning a lot.

Good luck with the Newcastle diet, I'm slowly loosing weight on LCHF, but I would certainly have considered doing the same as you, if I was not at work.

It takes a bit of guts to decide to do it, but I'm sure it will be worthwhile for you in the end.

I think your probably aware that even with the dramatic weight loss that can be achieved you may still have to watch the carb intake at the end of the diet, so I would plan for this also.

Once again good luck and keep us all up-to-date.

Neil

Reactions: 2 people

JOJ's Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning folks just thought I would introduce myself, names Bill and I have been a diagnosed type 2 Diabetic for almost 7 years now. during which time, I have to be brutally honest, I have not looked after myself. I suppose this lack of responsibility has been the reason as to why I find myself on the following medication per day.

6 x Metformin
2 x Gliclazide

1 X Amlodipine (BP)
1 X Candesartan (BP)
1 X Artorvastin

When I was first diagnosed I was a fairly big lad, I have to say. I weighed 21 stone 10ib but my weight was something I did address over the years and as from first thing this morning I weigh 16 stone 9ib. I just wish I could have shown the same commitment with regards to my BG levels. So why start the Newcastle Diet now you may ask. Well First and foremost I had a good talk to talk with my little lad who got himself upset for the very first time over my Diabetes and that just destroyed me. I have also been suffering from bouts of neuropathy for the first time. I know I cannot simply go on like this. I have to make this lifestyle change now and stick with it.

This decision to embark on the Newcastle Diet has not been taken lightly. I have been studied the research and have been closely monitoring various posts and threats on our Forums here. I have founds fellow members/posters such as Pipp, ,Andrew Colvin, Flashtash, Brettza and No Crbs4me very inspiring and of great help and support to others on this Diet. I have also sought the permission of my GP to start this (though I must admit I didn't get much encouragement from him, merely stated that he would monitor me)

So this morning I have taken my resting BG reading and its high = 13.04, but I have to start from somewhere. I have personally chosen to initially go with Slimfast Shakes for the first week with Shake that Weight on order in the meantime. The Mrs is a catering Supervisor so she's coming up with some innovative recipes for the veggies for me. I will be supplementing my diet with plenty of walking and other exercise.

I will keep everyone posted with regards to how things go and thanks for listening folks
Hi & welcome to your first posting @Biffa1965.

You have obviously been lurking in the background learning a lot.

Good luck with the Newcastle diet, I'm slowly loosing weight on LCHF, but I would certainly have considered doing the same as you, if I was not at work.

It takes a bit of guts to decide to do it, but I'm sure it will be worthwhile for you in the end.

I think your probably aware that even with the dramatic weight loss that can be achieved you may still have to watch the carb intake at the end of the diet, so I would plan for this also.

Once again good luck and keep us all up-to-date.

Neil
good luck I am starting Monday, if you have any good recipes please share.

Biffa1965

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Guys thank you very much for the warm welcome, daddys you right I have been lurking a lot in the background lol. I had to know exactly what I was committing myself too as I have every intention of seeing this process through to the end. Thanks for the advice re carb intake post diet, this is something I have very much had in mind and will ultimately low carb post diet rather than low cal. JOJs Girl, good luck with the start of your diet and I will certainly post any recipes my good lady comes up with. For the first week shes already told me she will likely utilise the veggies in the form of soups and stir fries. I am feeling quite positive about it all.

fleurtess

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
spiteful people, noisy naughty kids
Thank you. I slammed into type 1 3 years ago. At first I was lost and very confused. Then I attended a DAFNE course and now know exactly what to do. Even so, diabetes can be scary. I thought about the forum and if I can help someone I will be pleased to do so.

Biffa1965

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Strange thing happened this morning folks, got up BG had gone down to 9.06, took me meds then went for a 2.5 mile walk around the estate. got back tested again and I am 10.04 !!!! (hadn't even had me first shake of the day) Now how on earth could that happen ??? Certainly not going to get downhearted about, we just push on

fleurtess

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Strange thing happened this morning folks, got up BG had gone down to 9.06, took me meds then went for a 2.5 mile walk around the estate. got back tested again and I am 10.04 !!!! (hadn't even had me first shake of the day) Now how on earth could that happen ??? Certainly not going to get downhearted about, we just push on
Did you have breakfast? If you only took your long acting insulin and not the novo rapid then your levels will go up. Hope this helps

fleurtess

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ah sorry aboit that. My knowledge of type 2 is not too good. I nursed my late dad he had type 2 and had tablets. His levels would go up during the day and drop by night fall. I really don't know a lot about type 2. Sorry for the confusion

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, Bare in mind there is up to a + or - 20% tolerance once you get into the high numbers on the BG tester, did you retest. Were the hands clean, just washed.
Had you really exerted yourself on the walk as it could be your liver doing the dawn phenomenon, releasing glycogen automatically. all which will raise your numbers.

Early days for you on this diet, I personally it will take a several days before you see the effects but maybe other NC Dieters can give you a better idea

Neil

mand56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Biffa1965, I'm new to diabetes. But I wish you the best of luck. Here if you ever want to chat.

Biffa1965

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Allo Mand and thanks for all your support. Daddys1 I strongly suspect it is Dawn phenomenon as I had these suspect readings in the past whereby BG readings were higher first thing in the morning before going up to bed at night. Nevertheless nothings going to put me off my mission lol

Reactions: 4 people

fleurtess

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Allo Mand and thanks for all your support. Daddys1 I strongly suspect it is Dawn phenomenon as I had these suspect readings in the past whereby BG readings were higher first thing in the morning before going up to bed at night. Nevertheless nothings going to put me off my mission lol
I admire your determination