Newcastle Diet: Well here goes folks!!

Biffa1965

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Allo jack412, thanks for the support and advice. Yes I am very much utilising stock and salt in my diet. With regards to Oil (which I understand is essential to prevent gallstones) I personally use coconut oil for cooking my veggies. With regards to speaking to my GP I have cleared this diet with him but found him to be quite apathetic about the whole thing. He has insisted (and got) a set of bloods prior to me starting this and he wants a set upon completion. He has also stated that he wants to see me at the 4 week mark.

Reactions: 3 people

Biffa1965

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Brettza, well what can I say !!! its an honour to have you on my thread, as I have followed your threads and postings (along with others) with close interest over the previous weeks leading up to me embarking on this ND. Your absolutely right with regards to the issue of medication as I am on quite a lot and indeed with my readings coming down significantly I will look to reduce my Metformin intake. I will of course clear this with the Doc.

Brettza could you please tell me how I tag folks on here and more significantly how I can make life easier by bringing their names up in red when referring to them in my posts. Please forgive my ignorance with regards to this stuff, cheers.

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
are you adding a tablespoon at least, of butter/oil 10g to one meal a day, to help prevent gallstones?
Tablespoon oil 10g http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8781321

you understand that this diet should be done with your HCP as some side effects can be serious. including heart attacks

Personally, I find the easiest way of adding oil is to add them to the shakes if done in a blender. When mixed for 30-40 seconds (a lot longer than the shake actually needs) I find that with the shake powder and the tablespoon of psyillium husk / flaxseed, that the oil pretty much emulsifies into the mix and is non tastable

I don't weight out the oil, just a big pour so that it cits about 1/16th of an inch thick on the water surface before I add the dry stuff

Both the oil and the husks/seeds have helped me keep regular at the toilet and I hope help prevent gallstones

Wish they'd helpe to have prevented kidney stones too - they're bloody excruciating !!!!!

Reactions: 2 people

Biffa1965

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cheers Moon, I've actually got some flaxseed in and was looking closely at the psyllium seeds after I saw them mentioned in a recipe the other day. Il certainly use your idea and see how I get on.

Hope your kidney stones ease up mate.

Glitterbritches

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Absolute best of luck to all newcomers! The blog for my experience is in my signature if you want to see my experience.

Or not. The big thing is that you are about to have YOUR experience!

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brettza, well what can I say !!! its an honour to have you on my thread, as I have followed your threads and postings (along with others) with close interest over the previous weeks leading up to me embarking on this ND. Your absolutely right with regards to the issue of medication as I am on quite a lot and indeed with my readings coming down significantly I will look to reduce my Metformin intake. I will of course clear this with the Doc.

Brettza could you please tell me how I tag folks on here and more significantly how I can make life easier by bringing their names up in red when referring to them in my posts. Please forgive my ignorance with regards to this stuff, cheers.
you have to put @ sign before the username
so I am @brettsza
you are @Biffa1965 and the name will appear in a drop down sort of a box

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want to absorb as much nutrition as possible from vegetables, it's best to serve them with oil - there are a number of fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E, K from memory) that need fat.

Reactions: 4 people

Biffa1965

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning folks fasting BG this morning is 6.04 the lowest its ever been. I am delighted. Thanks for all your support and advice, I do appreciate it.

Biffa1965

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@moonchip as per your post, I threw a tablespoon of flaxseed in with me shake this morning, a wee bit grainy as expected but nuitrition nevertheless, a welcome addition, cheers bud

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@moonchip as per your post, I threw a tablespoon of flaxseed in with me shake this morning, a wee bit grainy as expected but nuitrition nevertheless, a welcome addition, cheers bud

You're welcome, pal

If the grainy-ness gets to you then psyllium husk (available from Holland & Barratt, etc.. ) is a far finer product akin to flour and disappears completely into the shake. Alas, its also about 3 times the price of flaxseed

That said, we're doing this for the health benefits, not necessarily because it tastes nice.

Much like the John Crenna line from Rambo ...."he's trained to eat things that'd make a billy-goat puke" ..... if its got health benefits for me I really don't care what it tastes like :)

If you're interested this is what I'm now using as the base for my shakes in approx 700 ml of water

http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/impact-whey-isolate/10530911.html

Biffa1965

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Day 7 and a wee bit disappointed today. Fasting BG 7.02 that's up on yesterdays 6.04 so maybe some dawn phenomenon kicking in. On the brighter side got weighed and now 16.02 that's a drop of 7lb

Reactions: 3 people

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Day 7 and a wee bit disappointed today. Fasting BG 7.02 that's up on yesterdays 6.04 so maybe some dawn phenomenon kicking in. On the brighter side got weighed and now 16.02 that's a drop of 7lb
Keep it up mate there's no letting off the gas once you are on it. A few blips of high bg or no weight loss or less weight loss will all be on the way to your journey but that's only to deter you and your body playing games. Just keep rolling on. I still get a 5 on fasting after 4 weeks but it's mostly 4's so it's ok.

Biffa1965

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@brettsza cheers for the advice and encouragement its much appreciated. I am in this for the full haul and have no intention of stalling. I kinda guessed I would have wee blips like this but regardless of the slight rise in BG this morning I am delighted with the weight loss. Ultimately I am looking to get my BG in the range your having right now 4 and 5 after fasting. I am sure with the effort it will come.

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Biffa1965 ,

Please to see your still going at it and the results are starting to show.

It wont be just the diet that will reduce your Fasting, although been on so few calories should deplete your livers 'Glycogen' store reducing the Dawn Phenomenon effect. I've notice you are 16st 2lbs which I would imagine your BMI is not in range at the moment.

It will be the reduction in weight that will trigger the reduced BS. I was 16st 8lbs it's coming up to a year now and I'm just under a 3st loss @ 13st 9lbs. My numbers have improved considerably but I have a further stone to go yet

I think Prof Roy Taylor talks about the 'Personal Fat Threshold' once you reach that PFT then numbers should be much improved.

I think your very good to attempt this as all the ND er's are.
Keep it up.
Neil

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Agree with Neil's ( @daddys1 ) post above and from reading a lot of Prof Taylors notes and reading up on a lot of ND stuff its all very much about getting close to ones Personal Fat Threshold

This is the main reason why, whilst I'm on the ND I'm neither weighing myself or testing my BG's all the time

If I weigh myself I'll get disillusioned if I gain a few pounds for no apparent reason so I've no intention of getting into the frustrations of being a slave to the scales

With my BG's, as a newly diagnosed T2 this diet is poles apart from the rubbish I was eating pre-diagnosis - I'll test once I finish it & start to introduce LCHF / green smoothies when the inputs into my system will actually make a difference

If you're already a regular tester then I guess you're already 'in the groove' of regular testing ....... and yes, I'm terrified of the needles. Don't tell me how small it is, a needle is still a needle. I'll never get used to it, I'm terrified of the idea of pricking myself on purpose :)

6'4" Gentle Giant I might be but Doctors have no problem getting a canula into my arm once I've passed out :D:D

Biffa1965

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well as a 6ft stocky lad, I reckon I am still a wee bit short of my fat threshold that Prof Taylor talks about. I must admit @daddys1 I take comfort from the fact that once I get there my BG results should show more improvement. @moonchip I am not a frequent tester but have been testing more than usual this week just to try and gauge progress.

Incidentally folks my Ketone strips landed today and I have literally just tested myself, I am showing negative. Would this be normal after 7 days on the ND or is it indeed to be expected. Does the ND actually put you in a state of ketosis ?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well as a 6ft stocky lad, I reckon I am still a wee bit short of my fat threshold that Prof Taylor talks about. I must admit @daddys1 I take comfort from the fact that once I get there my BG results should show more improvement. @moonchip I am not a frequent tester but have been testing more than usual this week just to try and gauge progress.

Incidentally folks my Ketone strips landed today and I have literally just tested myself, I am showing negative. Would this be normal after 7 days on the ND or is it indeed to be expected. Does the ND actually put you in a state of ketosis ?
Wow, I'm really surprised you're not in ketosis on the ND - usually a starvation diet would be expected to do that because of the fat burning. What time of day did you test? I normally find mine are higher at night, quite a few hours after eating. Some people find them highest after exercising. Like everything else, I think it's highly variable.

Are you using the blood test strips or the pee sticks? I believe the pee sticks don't always reflect ketones as well as the blood readings - after a period of adjusting, they disappear for some people, but for others they still show up. Just goes to show how variable people are and the reason we can't find "one size fits all" solutions that work for everybody.

Biffa1965

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning folks. Day 8 and fasting BG is 6.09 today so its on its way back down again @Indy51 I was just as surprised at you not being in ketosis. I tested with urine sticks at approx 0100 pm in the afternoon. Iam not going to get stressed by it tho.

Glitterbritches

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Agree with Neil's ( @daddys1 ) post above and from reading a lot of Prof Taylors notes and reading up on a lot of ND stuff its all very much about getting close to ones Personal Fat Threshold

This is the main reason why, whilst I'm on the ND I'm neither weighing myself or testing my BG's all the time

If I weigh myself I'll get disillusioned if I gain a few pounds for no apparent reason so I've no intention of getting into the frustrations of being a slave to the scales

With my BG's, as a newly diagnosed T2 this diet is poles apart from the rubbish I was eating pre-diagnosis - I'll test once I finish it & start to introduce LCHF / green smoothies when the inputs into my system will actually make a difference

If you're already a regular tester then I guess you're already 'in the groove' of regular testing ....... and yes, I'm terrified of the needles. Don't tell me how small it is, a needle is still a needle. I'll never get used to it, I'm terrified of the idea of pricking myself on purpose :)

6'4" Gentle Giant I might be but Doctors have no problem getting a canula into my arm once I've passed out :D:D
One bit - I did weigh myself every day, and it was incredibly motivating, like, insanely motivating, to see the numbers drop. And of course, the downside was that when they didn't drop, it kinda put a bad spin on the day. So, daily weighing = more highs, but more lows, whereas your method is a lot more "steady" :)