Newcastle Diet: Well here goes folks!!

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One bit - I did weigh myself every day, and it was incredibly motivating, like, insanely motivating, to see the numbers drop. And of course, the downside was that when they didn't drop, it kinda put a bad spin on the day. So, daily weighing = more highs, but more lows, whereas your method is a lot more "steady" :)

The reason I don't weight myself daily is the same reason I don't test my BG's daily

I'm on the ND diet for 8 - 10 weeks (I actually enjoy it) -- my intake is set (3x shakes, 200 grams above ground green veg + 4 litres water)

My only 'variable' is exercise

I can do nothing else to either influence my weight or my BG's hence I see little point or benefit in daily weighing or testing whilst in this phase as 'bad' movements will simply stress me out or give me a downer ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Biffa1965

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning folks, sorry for no entry yesterday, an horrendous day at work. Nevertheless Day 10 and Fasting BG 5.02 Wha hey !!! Im chuffed to bits, the very lowest its ever been.

Reactions: 10 people

Biffa1965

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning folks, its been a few days since I last made an entry on my thread. The perils of working in an occupation with crazy shifts I am afraid.

Anyway, this morning my fasting BG was 4.08 this is the first time I have had a 4 fasting BG reading ever, whilst diabetic. so this ND is definitely doing something and I am only coming to the end of week 2. The weight loss is coming along nicely although I am not due to get weighed until Saturday morning but to date its ten pounds off. Probably the most significant thing for me has been the fact that the neuropathy I have been suffering from has subsided to such an extent that its almost gone, in two weeks !!!.

So all in all everything very positive with 6 weeks to go. I haven't had a BG reading above 7 even post meals, weights down and neuropathy on the way out. Feeling really good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
significant thing for me has been the fact that the neuropathy I have been suffering from has subsided to such an extent that its almost gone, in two weeks !!!.
Well done Biffa, I was not sure I had neuropathy when I was first diagnosed but 99% of the minor symptoms I had, have subsided as you described as the sugars have lowered.

Keep it up sounds like it will be well worth it for you.

Neil

Reactions: 2 people

Biffa1965

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
By the way folks, two other things to report since last thread, medication more than halved. Now down to 2 x Metformin and 1 x Gliclazide. Also checked and now in full ketosis.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
By the way folks, two other things to report since last thread, medication more than halved. Now down to 2 x Metformin and 1 x Gliclazide. Also checked and now in full ketosis.
Wow, great news. Keep up the good work. I am hoping to start the ND next week; I see a dietician on Monday at the request of my DN. I have never actually seen a Dr. I am a very untypical T2 as I was normal weight and since cutting almost all carbs I have lost 1 and 1/2 stone taking me to very under weight but I really want to be able to eat a more normal diet so I am going to give the ND a try.
If after a few weeks I have any problems or things are not improving regarding my BS I will reconsider whether it is the right thing for me.

Keep up the good work all those who are doing the diet and I do hope it is successful for you. Fingers crossed for me!

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Arab Horse - have you ever tried high dose magnesium supplementation?

There was a member at another forum I go to who was underweight, good A1c, family history of diabetes but never diagnosed because she always passed OTTs, very physically active - yet every time she ate carbs, her BG would skyrocket. She quit wheat because it spiked her more than any other carb and it made a big difference, yet still having spikes from even small amounts of carbs. She then researched the effect of magnesium on BG and started supplementation, increasing until she was taking 500mg per day. Now that her magnesium levels are replete, she no longer has issues.

Might be worth a try to see if it helps you.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Arab Horse - have you ever tried high dose magnesium supplementation?

There was a member at another forum I go to who was underweight, good A1c, family history of diabetes but never diagnosed because she always passed OTTs, very physically active - yet every time she ate carbs, her BG would skyrocket. She quit wheat because it spiked her more than any other carb and it made a big difference, yet still having spikes from even small amounts of carbs. She then researched the effect of magnesium on BG and started supplementation, increasing until she was taking 500mg per day. Now that her magnesium levels are replete, she no longer has issues.

Might be worth a try to see if it helps you.

Thanks for the advice @Indi51. Sadly I am well and truly T2. I went for my free health check and expected to pass with flying colours. had a request to have more bloods (fasting) before seeing the nurse as my glucose was high (receptionist didn't know what it was). Went and had the fasting bloods which included HbA1c and thyroid function tests and received a phone call from the DN asking me to make an appointment ASAP; my HbA1c was 10.4 and my glucose was 18.6! For the first few months I got nowhere as I was doing the advice given by the DN and Desmond day. I then found this forum and started very low carbing which has helped enormously but still not anywhere near normal and can't eat anything much without going well over normal range for my BS which is why I want to try the ND. I am now 7 stone so really, really, really don't want to lose weight but realise I will have to for a few weeks although 800 calories at my weight is a lot more than it would be for someone twice my weight!!!

I will get a magnesium supplement but I do take a multi vitamin and mineral supplement already; maybe need some extra magnesium. I had read that Mg was important for the pancreas.

Biffa1965

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Indy51 That's an interesting observation about the effect of magnesium on BG levels I might do a wee bit of research on ether it would make a decent supplement.

Biffa1965

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Arab Horse My heart goes out to you, you must feel quite trapped sometimes still getting these high readings yet doing everything in your power to reduce them. At 7 stone I would think carefully about the ND as the whole process will result in further weight loss. Like me, why not research this magnesium thing and see if that helps, always worth a try.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Arab Horse My heart goes out to you, you must feel quite trapped sometimes still getting these high readings yet doing everything in your power to reduce them. At 7 stone I would think carefully about the ND as the whole process will result in further weight loss. Like me, why not research this magnesium thing and see if that helps, always worth a try.

I will give it a go but I have waited quite a while to start the ND due to having to see my DN to get her approval, then having to wait to see the dietician next Monday. I need to get going soon as I have a foal (well, my mare, not me!) due in July so I need to have finished the diet and be eating again to have the strength to manage the foal especially if there are any problems. Very exciting (the foal, not the diet),

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just since there is a mention of magnesium with diabetes, Vit D is also considered to effect the BG if I am not wrong, I read it somewhere but having said that when they do a FBC does all these vitamins and minerals not get covered in it?

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just since there is a mention of magnesium with diabetes, Vit D is also considered to effect the BG if I am not wrong, I read it somewhere but having said that when they do a FBC does all these vitamins and minerals not get covered in it?

If you mean a full blood count, no they don't. I am on calcium and Vit D as I have low bone density so that should be OK but I will up my Mg intake. I do take a few supplements already e.g. Vit B and C

VinnyD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning folks just thought I would introduce myself, names Bill and I have been a diagnosed type 2 Diabetic for almost 7 years now. during which time, I have to be brutally honest, I have not looked after myself. I suppose this lack of responsibility has been the reason as to why I find myself on the following medication per day.

6 x Metformin
2 x Gliclazide

1 X Amlodipine (BP)
1 X Candesartan (BP)
1 X Artorvastin

When I was first diagnosed I was a fairly big lad, I have to say. I weighed 21 stone 10ib but my weight was something I did address over the years and as from first thing this morning I weigh 16 stone 9ib. I just wish I could have shown the same commitment with regards to my BG levels. So why start the Newcastle Diet now you may ask. Well First and foremost I had a good talk to talk with my little lad who got himself upset for the very first time over my Diabetes and that just destroyed me. I have also been suffering from bouts of neuropathy for the first time. I know I cannot simply go on like this. I have to make this lifestyle change now and stick with it.

This decision to embark on the Newcastle Diet has not been taken lightly. I have been studied the research and have been closely monitoring various posts and threats on our Forums here. I have founds fellow members/posters such as Pipp, ,Andrew Colvin, Flashtash, Brettza and No Crbs4me very inspiring and of great help and support to others on this Diet. I have also sought the permission of my GP to start this (though I must admit I didn't get much encouragement from him, merely stated that he would monitor me)

So this morning I have taken my resting BG reading and its high = 13.04, but I have to start from somewhere. I have personally chosen to initially go with Slimfast Shakes for the first week with Shake that Weight on order in the meantime. The Mrs is a catering Supervisor so she's coming up with some innovative recipes for the veggies for me. I will be supplementing my diet with plenty of walking and other exercise.

I will keep everyone posted with regards to how things go and thanks for listening folks

Very best of luck to you. 13:04 is very high. About 2 months ago when I was first diagnosed it was at around 14 which like yours is off the scale. On Easter Monday I started my version of the Newcastle diet (low calorie of 600-700cal/day but I still eat, meat, fish and dairy products but choose low GL foods). A few days ago my fasting reading went down to 5.6 and stayed around that for 3 days. This is within the target range of a non diabetic. I am still under 7 but am heading in the right direction. I hope to eventually wean myself off the 2 metformin tablets a day which I take.

Please take my advice and WRITE DOWN every single bloody thing that goes in your mouth. I mean count the calories for every single berry if you have to. Just get into the habit of being strict.

I am gathering a spreadsheet of common low GI foods and noting all their calories and GL values. I will post it here one day when it is complete.

Reactions: 4 people

Biffa1965

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning folks, its been a few days since my last update, job commitments unfortunately. Well I am now in mid week 3 and things are going well, I am regularly getting fasting BG readings in the 4s and mid 5, which I am happy with. I have checked my weight and I am now 15lb down. More significantly I have started taking magnesium 250g a day (its cheap as chips in Holland and Barrett at the moment) and altogether I feel pretty good. Its nice getting into 34" jeans for the first time in years and the compliments about my weight are a great moral booster to push on.

By the way folks I am still well in Ketosis and the Neuropathy in the feet has all but disappeared, with only a slight twinge once every few days, whereupon at its worst it was constant.

Reactions: 13 people

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done @Biffa1965 Keep up the good work. I am aiming to start this weekend or early next week, depends what is going on at the weekend!

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like you are making fabulous progress! If Mrs. Biffa creates some delicious dishes for you, don't hesitate to post them here. :p