Newcastle diet.

Tannith

BANNED
A year ago I did the Newcastle diet, against the advise of my diabetic nurse. It certainly sorted out my blood sugars but I have what I am self diagnosing as a gall bladder issue. At the time I'd read the warning but didn't realise that I had a build up ..... If I had know that some fat would have moderated the discomfort I now feel , I would have gone that way. I'm hoping that it will pass in time. Best of luck with the diet. I found it brutal but doable...
Do you know why your diabetic nurse advised against Newcastle Diet? That seems extraordinary to me.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Do you know why your diabetic nurse advised against Newcastle Diet? That seems extraordinary to me.

Ha ha. Me too ! She was shocked when after a month my glucose was into 4's and 5's. I now print out any key info for her and give her books I buy on the subject. From what I read on this forum this is not an unusual situation.

Reactions: Freema and Fleegle

thepolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not keeping motivated, eating when not hungry too much of the time. Need to up my distractions
......... seldom found in women and never in man ... as my old Nana used to say. I think you are virtuous even attempting this. I know I couldn't do it. My only suggestion is to reduce the carb intake at every meal and eat real low carb food., maybe skipping one of your meals. I actually have no idea if this would work on 800 calories or if hunger would get the better of you.
That's pretty much what the 800 cal Blood Sugar Diet is. A real food version of the ND. Their forum is really friendly too and there are quite a few people there that have been doing BSD for a long time.

AlexMagd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

It's a pretty hardcore diet. I don't think you'd find many medical professionals willing to endorse an 800 calorie a day diet!

It's also not very well known. My GP didn't know what I was talking about until I described it, and then she had sort of heard of it, but not in great detail. It's a very small scale study and you only need to look at an endocrinology journal to see the absolute ton of diabetes studies going on - though almost all based on prevention. Easy for even something as potentially revolutionary as the ND to get lost in the mix if you're not specifically looking for it.

I'd expect a lot of diabetic nurses only get updated a few times a year on new studies or treatment approaches. I wouldn't expect them to be up on the latest discoveries, sadly.

thepolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not keeping motivated, eating when not hungry too much of the time. Need to up my distractions
It's a pretty hardcore diet. I don't think you'd find many medical professionals willing to endorse an 800 calorie a day diet!

It's also not very well known. My GP didn't know what I was talking about until I described it, and then she had sort of heard of it, but not in great detail. It's a very small scale study and you only need to look at an endocrinology journal to see the absolute ton of diabetes studies going on - though almost all based on prevention. Easy for even something as potentially revolutionary as the ND to get lost in the mix if you're not specifically looking for it.

I'd expect a lot of diabetic nurses only get updated a few times a year on new studies or treatment approaches. I wouldn't expect them to be up on the latest discoveries, sadly.
The problem is that none of it is really 'new'. Rather it's tried and tested centuries ago but been 'forgotten' under the pressure of various organizations and companies (food, drink and drug companies) - just look at the low-fat nonsense that surfaced in the 70's and is still being blindly followed today... Still money is god so it's all ok......

Tannith

BANNED
......... seldom found in women and never in man ... as my old Nana used to say. I think you are virtuous even attempting this. I know I couldn't do it. My only suggestion is to reduce the carb intake at every meal and eat real low carb food., maybe skipping one of your meals. I actually have no idea if this would work on 800 calories or if hunger would get the better of you.
ND doesn't need to be low carb. Indeed it might be a bad idea especially towards the end when you would need to know if you had lost enough live/pancreas fat to reverse your T2. If you had been low carbing as well that might confuse the issue. You might think you had reached your goal when really the lowered BGs were only due to the temporary effect of the low carb which would be gone the next day, instead of to the permanent reversal effect of the vlcal.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Week 2 day 12 - 20% through the planned 8 weeks. Only 44 days to go.

Well I am still on the shakes. I have done some experimenting. I think I said on Friday I had completed all three by about 2pm. So then I didn't eat anything, just one cup of tea until 11am the following morning giving me a 21hour fast. Then on Saturday I tried to consume all three shakes as quickly as I could (all 75g of carbs) and whilst I did spike to 8.7 I also managed to complete all three by about 2pm again. So same again Sunday only this time I took the first shake earlier 10am and took 400ml in one go so almost so 40g of carbs in one go. It did rise to 9.2 in about an hour but was down to 7.7 by 2 hours. When it got to 6.2 a little while later I had the second shake and then quite rapidly the third shake but of course they were much smaller volume. Get the peek to about 7.1 for a couple of hours whilst consuming. So I am now on one horrendous peek that doesn't last too long and then a few hours of raised levels.

I have been testing every ten mins when taking the bigger shots because I would take urgent exercise action should they go to 10 - and I have found kick starts pretty quickly within 10 mins, but at around 20 mins it falls a good chunk before the next lift to the highs. Recovery is quite sharp when it happens. So I am figuring there is a ting amount of first phase insulin just not very much.

Long way to go but two days in a row now I have seen this .5mmol drop at 30mins.
Oh and due to complexity of travel, three days in a trot no veg so only 600 calories those three days.
Not been more than about 750cals a day not for 12 days. Yes I am hungry - like now - but not too bad.

Next week - back to some exercise as less business travel (UK only).

Last edited:
Reactions: ziggy_w and Freema

thepolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ND doesn't need to be low carb. Indeed it might be a bad idea especially towards the end when you would need to know if you had lost enough live/pancreas fat to reverse your T2. If you had been low carbing as well that might confuse the issue. You might think you had reached your goal when really the lowered BGs were only due to the temporary effect of the low carb which would be gone the next day, instead of to the permanent reversal effect of the vlcal.
Is that more like the effect that surgery seems to have on reversing T2?

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Week 2 day 12 - 20% through the planned 8 weeks. Only 44 days to go.

Well I am still on the shakes. I have done some experimenting. I think I said on Friday I had completed all three by about 2pm. So then I didn't eat anything, just one cup of tea until 11am the following morning giving me a 21hour fast. Then on Saturday I tried to consume all three shakes as quickly as I could (all 75g of carbs) and whilst I did spike to 8.7 I also managed to complete all three by about 2pm again. So same again Sunday only this time I took the first shake earlier 10am and took 400ml in one go so almost so 40g of carbs in one go. It did rise to 9.2 in about an hour but was down to 7.7 by 2 hours. When it got to 6.2 a little while later I had the second shake and then quite rapidly the third shake but of course they were much smaller volume. Get the peek to about 7.1 for a couple of hours whilst consuming. So I am now on one horrendous peek that doesn't last too long and then a few hours of raised levels.

I have been testing every ten mins when taking the bigger shots because I would take urgent exercise action should they go to 10 - and I have found kick starts pretty quickly within 10 mins, but at around 20 mins it falls a good chunk before the next lift to the highs. Recovery is quite sharp when it happens. So I am figuring there is a ting amount of first phase insulin just not very much.

Long way to go but two days in a row now I have seen this .5mmol drop at 30mins.
Oh and due to complexity of travel, three days in a trot no veg so only 600 calories those three days.
Not been more than about 750cals a day not for 12 days. Yes I am hungry - like now - but not too bad.

Next week - back to some exercise as less business travel (UK only).

Hi @Fleegle,

These results really sound encouraging. Well done.

Reactions: Fleegle

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Week 2 Day 13.
Same kind of day as yesterday. I am still trying to work out the best way of consuming the shakes to not spike. Today in my new configuration I got a max of 8.3 for just a very short amount of time - again the 7 - 7 lasted about an hour and again a slight drop after 30mins. But not sure it is really relevant - perhaps just the way my digestion works who knows. Certainly not seeing any significant change I do not think. Did a bit of exercise (strength) and a bit of walking today. All in all only 1 peek for a short window and hope to spread the shakes differently so that anyone else trying this can have an idea of how to minimise the load.

Probably going back to three shakes tomorrow spread through the day. A bit hungry this evening for the first time in a few days - and really missing food now. Mrs Fleegle had a lasagne this evening and it smelt delicious.

Tomorrow is the end of week 2 - thank goodness for that although I don't want this to end until an improvement has occurred.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Fleegle,

Have you considered exercising before having the shakes to lower the spikes? Exercise may prepare your muscle to absorb some of the glucose, leaving less glucose in the blood.

Reactions: Fleegle

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Dean,
I am really looking forward to your results. How are you doing on the weight front?

So far in the two weeks that this has covered I have lost about 4-5lbs and mainly fat. It is hard to say for sure because I weigh on a Saturday only and started this on a Wednesday. I will get a better idea this weekend. Last week I lost 1lb which I can easily lose on a LCHF diet so I was not massively impressed by that. You would have thought less than 650 calories a day :)

According to my scales I am now 26% fat and I would like that by the end of this diet to be closer to 18 if at all possible.

As of yet - I really do not think my BG control is very much different but it is not even 2 weeks yet and as someone else pointed out I have probably lost most of my fat.

I have to say that today does feel like a tough day - I knew the first couple of weeks would be the worse (just reading other peoples accounts) and today I have felt the most like chucking it in so far. But it is fleeting and I am going to carry on...

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So far in the two weeks that this has covered I have lost about 4-5lbs and mainly fat. It is hard to say for sure because I weigh on a Saturday only and started this on a Wednesday. I will get a better idea this weekend. Last week I lost 1lb which I can easily lose on a LCHF diet so I was not massively impressed by that. You would have thought less than 650 calories a day :)

According to my scales I am now 26% fat and I would like that by the end of this diet to be closer to 18 if at all possible.

As of yet - I really do not think my BG control is very much different but it is not even 2 weeks yet and as someone else pointed out I have probably lost most of my fat.

I have to say that today does feel like a tough day - I knew the first couple of weeks would be the worse (just reading other peoples accounts) and today I have felt the most like chucking it in so far. But it is fleeting and I am going to carry on...

Hi Dean,

An 8-week diet of 650 calories a day is really tough. So, really well done. I very much doubt that I would be able to have your type of discipline. Hope it will get easier for you soon.

I imagine you will have lost most of the weight you needed to lose on LC already. So, 4-5 pounds is actually not bad at all. Do you own a scale that measures body fat too? This is pretty cool.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Dean,

An 8-week diet of 650 calories a day is really tough. So, really well done. I very much doubt that I would be able to have your type of discipline. Hope it will get easier for you soon.

I imagine you will have lost most of the weight you needed to lose on LC already. So, 4-5 pounds is actually not bad at all. Do you own a scale that measures body fat too? This is pretty cool.

Yes - it is a Tanita set and measures lots of stuff and even tells me what part of my body has the most fat (Core, left top, bottom, right top bottom). Most useful and important in this case is it measures Viscral fat but on a scale where 13 is ok. I am currently 11 and want to get done to 9.

Reactions: TIANDB and ziggy_w

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Dean,

What is the model of the Tanita scale you own? Sounds really interesting and I would like to check it out.