Newly diagnosed 9 year old

Fearless36

Excellent re your son doing well. I can relate entirely. I was 4 years when I was diagnosed and know my mother felt the same as you and struggled. There was little help or support given to her. I know she relayed to me that she found injecting me hard (at 4 years I couldn't do it myself then) and I used to plead with her that I would be good etc. She knew that if she didn't I would be unwell and felt enormous guilt over having done that - but I fully realise that she had to do it. Your son will be exactly the same. The feelings you are feeling are completely understandable but you have to realise you are not the cause here. There is nothing you could have done differently to prevent this from happening. However what you are doing now will be a godsend to him in his later years. I was lucky in that my mother was very upbeat and she often stressed to me that I was special and that diabetes had advantages that I didn't often realize - in that I learned about how my body worked, how it dealt with food etc and that often got me thinking and lessened the burden of it. Today I don't view diabetes as a curse at all - in fact quite the opposite, I'm very grateful for it.

Reactions: himtoo and azure

LEEK

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,
My 9 year old son was diagnosed a week ago after being rushed to hospital....
Being diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic has been an absolute shock & when we are all still
Coming to terms with.
My son is now home and doing extremely well, I am so very proud of how he is dealing with everything.
I however am struggling to come to terms with his diagnosis.....it's not something I allow him to see as I want him to remain upbeat and positive, but I am struggling with guilt, anger, sadness and I can't seem to shake these feelings
I also feel guilty for feeling like this as it's my son who is going through it.
Is anyone else experiencing this? Or has these feelings?

It's really quite overwhelming
I have to say I have a new found appreciation for diabetics
It is life changing
Any comments or encouragement would be so gratefully received right now as I am feeling rather alone
Thank you[/
Hi,
My 9 year old son was diagnosed a week ago after being rushed to hospital....
Being diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic has been an absolute shock & when we are all still
Coming to terms with.
My son is now home and doing extremely well, I am so very proud of how he is dealing with everything.
I however am struggling to come to terms with his diagnosis.....it's not something I allow him to see as I want him to remain upbeat and positive, but I am struggling with guilt, anger, sadness and I can't seem to shake these feelings
I also feel guilty for feeling like this as it's my son who is going through it.
Is anyone else experiencing this? Or has these feelings?

It's really quite overwhelming
I have to say I have a new found appreciation for diabetics
It is life changing
Any comments or encouragement would be so gratefully received right now as I am feeling rather alone
Thank you
Our son was 7 when he became type 1 diabetic 6 years ago. The emotions are normal but difficult for parents. As his Dad and main helper I'm still on the emotional roll a coaster. Learning how to deal with diabetes itself helps and was easier. Our son, FOUR meals, Breakfast, Lunch, Tea and Supper, 4 hours apart, each one a similar amount of carbs, easy in those days. Teenage years are a different matter.