Newly diagnosed and nervous!

Jonman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed three weeks ago with type 1 and am on insulin - rapid and bolus.
After a good few ups and downs (but none higher than 16mmol or lower than 3) I'm starting to get more constant readings.
I was very active before diagnosis, playing football every week and going to the gym three or four times a week but I'm a bit worried about resuming such activities.
Should I give it a few more weeks before I get back into action or should I take the plunge and see what it does to my levels?
Any advice welcome - thanks

D

Deleted Account

I understand exactly how you feel - I was pretty much the same nervous about resuming exercise.
In hindsight, I regret how long it took me to get back into exercise (a few months) after my diagnosis.

Every exercise is different and every person with diabetes is different again but, usually, cardio will bring your BG down and interval-type training (e.g. weights and short sprints) could cause your BG to rise.
As stress raises BG, you may find your nervousness with exercise will cause your BG to rise at first but as you get more confident, it should stabilise.

Given exercise is very likely to affect your BG, my advice is to try it out in a controlled way
- test before you start
- where possible test during exercise
- test when you finish
- test a couple of hours later
- ensure there is someone with you who will notice if you are not feeling/acting quite right and you will listen to if they suggest you stop and test.
- take it easy: don't go for a full on 90 minute footie match the first time you go back
- give yourself a day or two to recover
- if you are able to discuss your experience with your diabetes team, they may suggest changing your insulin a little when you exercise.

Remember diabetes shouldn't stop you from doing what you want.

Reactions: Juicyj and Jonman

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jonman . I do the gym 5/6 days a week and have done since and before diagnosis a long time ago.
Don't let your T1 stop you doing anything.
Respect it's power, by that I mean with regards to exercise it can lead to big changes in BS levels during and after exercise.
It'll be trial and error for you. Keep a record of what type of exercise you do and how it affects your BS levels.
Cardio makes me drop during and shortly after . Heavy weights make my BS rise during but then drop up to 6 hrs later.
You'll need to record as much as possible. Check your BS prior to a workout, if needs be check during and check after. This should give you a picture of what exercise does what to you as an individual.
Most importantly is to keep some fast acting carbs on you at all times, whether it be liquid or solids. Orange juice, Glucotabs or something similar. You may find you will drop fairly quick during exercise and you don't want to be caught out.
If you have a training partner, tell them how to spot and help you if your sugars go low.
It all sounds a bit daunting but honestly it'll all come together, your confidence will grow and exercise will be just as good as it was prior to diagnosis.
Good luck. If you need any more advice just ask there's lots on the forum who do lots of varied and extreme exercise regimes.
@helensaramay beat me to it:)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You can exercise freely but test before and after and perhaps go a bit lower on the insulin until you gain knowledge of the right levels. Have some glucose tablets with you. I also wear a diabetes wrist band just in case I fall over!

Reactions: Jonman

Junglejuice

I was diagnosed three weeks ago with type 1 and am on insulin - rapid and bolus.
After a good few ups and downs (but none higher than 16mmol or lower than 3) I'm starting to get more constant readings.
I was very active before diagnosis, playing football every week and going to the gym three or four times a week but I'm a bit worried about resuming such activities.
Should I give it a few more weeks before I get back into action or should I take the plunge and see what it does to my levels?
Any advice welcome - thanks
Snap lol