Newly diagnosed and scared

Hansenguy62

Hi. My doc told me i was 6.5 and offered meds but said i could try diet first as i really could do much better there.

I bought a machine to log readings and started two days ago.
I had a reading of 90 mg ML? Not sure sorry.

Felt great eating grilled salmon and veg and salad. Avacado etc. Low carb diet.
Last night i felt really hungry late at night ran out my hotel and bought a builder omlet. 6 egg whites. Turkey and vegies. Also fries. I ate the lot at 12.30 in the night. Woke today tool a reading of 156. Felt so bad and guilty and slightly worried. Im very active fit 55 yr old non smoker or drinker.
Ant advice please?

DIABETIC911

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, I am newly diagnosed also. I would say advise that you avoid fried foods. I noticed that when I eat any type of fried foods that it spikes my levels out of control. Overall I found that adding fibre and protein at every meal helps control the levels. From everything that I have read, control is the biggest battle and the best advise I can offer is to anyone is listen to your body, you will notice how your body reacts to certain foods.

Just my two cents :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. My doc told me i was 6.5 and offered meds but said i could try diet first as i really could do much better there.

I bought a machine to log readings and started two days ago.
I had a reading of 90 mg ML? Not sure sorry.

Felt great eating grilled salmon and veg and salad. Avacado etc. Low carb diet.
Last night i felt really hungry late at night ran out my hotel and bought a builder omlet. 6 egg whites. Turkey and vegies. Also fries. I ate the lot at 12.30 in the night. Woke today tool a reading of 156. Felt so bad and guilty and slightly worried. Im very active fit 55 yr old non smoker or drinker.
Ant advice please?

If you want my two cents. Cut your carb intake and up your fat intake.
Fat provides satiety so you don't feel so hungry.
So if you want an omelette have all egg not just whites. Don't eat fries.
Add butter to your grilled salmon.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
No reason to cut out egg yolks at all. I realise that this is fashionable in North America but it is not necessary. If it is the cholesterol that you are concerned about then eggs have the 'good' kind. May I ask what exactly is a 'Builder Omelette'?

Reactions: Grateful

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi again @Hansenguy62. Great to hear from you. That meal you went out for doesn't sound so bad apart from the fries! It's great that you're working on taking control of this stuff.

For those posting: the OP had a thread a while back in which advice to newcomers was given. It can be seen here: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/blood-work-results-today.129112/.

I made quite a few suggestions to him in that thread so will not repeat them here.

Last edited:

Hansenguy62

Hi again @Hansenguy62. Great to hear from you. That meal you went out for doesn't sound so bad apart from the fries! It's great that you're working on taking control of this stuff.

For those posting: the OP had a thread a while back in which advice to newcomers was given. It can be seen here: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/blood-work-results-today.129112/.

I made quite a few suggestions to him in that thread so will not repeat them again here.
Thank you again grateful. Its a worrying time but determined to get this. Just did another reading 126 so no more junk food i think. Xx

Reactions: Grateful

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you again grateful. Its a worrying time but determined to get this. Just did another reading 126 so no more junk food i think. Xx

Concerning those meter readings, I don't use a meter so can't help you. But there are some very experienced meter users here who will be able to help you make sense of this stuff! Take care.

Reactions: Hansenguy62

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello, I am newly diagnosed also. I would say advise that you avoid fried foods. I noticed that when I eat any type of fried foods that it spikes my levels out of control. Overall I found that adding fibre and protein at every meal helps control the levels. From everything that I have read, control is the biggest battle and the best advise I can offer is to anyone is listen to your body, you will notice how your body reacts to certain foods.

Welcome to the forum.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Get rid of fries, potatoes, bread, pasta, rice and all starchy vegetables from your diet before you develop complications.

Join the low-carb program.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi. I wonder whether it's the carbs in the fried food that was causing the spikes? Fat is normally OK for us and does help smooth carb (glucose) absorption rather than increasing blood sugar.

DIABETIC911

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I wonder whether it's the carbs in the fried food that was causing the spikes? Fat is normally OK for us and does help smooth carb (glucose) absorption rather than increasing blood sugar.
I'm not exactly sure the reason but fried foods is unhealthy/bad fats and I know when I eat any fried foods the spike scares me so I do avoid it but human and have that craving every once in a while ‍♀️

I'm not an expert but learning