Newly diagnosed as pre diabetic

Ruth_Marianna

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I recently received a letter from my GP following a routine blood test telling me that I was at risk of developing Type II Diabetis. It came as a shock because although I know I am overweight my test had always been fine before. When I spoke to the nurse she said that my level was 6 and that it showed my level over 3 months. I thought all I needed to do was lose weight (about 3 stone) and try to be more active. Over the last 6 weeks I have lost 10lbs in weight by eating a low calorie diet with lots of veg.

Now I am not sure that I am doing it right. Should I also be cutting back on starchy veg such as parsnips, sweet potato, beetroot and sweetcorn? Or even cutting them out altogether. The only other carbs I am having is the occasional small amount of brown rice, a couple of pieces of potato or the odd slice of wholemeal bread. I also sometimes have homemade soup that has some potatoes in it or beetroot soup. Also what about fruit? Some days I eat a clementine or two.

Reactions: himtoo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there @Ruth_Marianna

welcome to the forum !!:)

I am tagging the lovely @daisy1 for her fabulous starter pack of info.

I would wait for this and and have a good read before making any firm decisions on further action.
( it is the DCUK bible IMO )

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Ruth_Marianna

Welcome to the forum. I'm tagging @daisy1 so that you can get a new member post, that I found helpful when first diagnosed.

The proof of whether you diet will help with the prediabetes will be based on tests. You may be able to tolerate the carb foods in your diet.

When is you next HBA1C test due? You may want to test your blood glucose at home for daily feedback on what effect your meals have alongside counting how many carbs you are eating. This is what I did and it helped me see what I needed to cut back on and what was ok for me.

You recent test of 6 I think equates to 42 in new units. This is just into the UK level of prediabetes.

There are a variety of diets discussed on the forum and no 'right way' just what works for you.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hi there and welcome to the forum. Well done on your weight loss so far. Being diagnosed comes as a shock to us all and can leave you bewildered at times so please take time to think about how you choose to tackle the condition and at the same time try not to play the blame game, it serves no purpose and just leads to low mood. One fact that I learned early on is that becoming overweight is not the cause of Diabetes, it is a symptom of Diabetes just like any other symptom.
I would say that the odd clementine now and again eaten straight after a meal is ok-is but to be sure it would help you if you tested your blood glucose afterwatds to see how you deal with the fructose. A better fruit to choose are berries but not too great a quantity. Have a read around the forum and ask as many questions as you like.

Ruth_Marianna

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi @Ruth_Marianna

Welcome to the forum. I'm tagging @daisy1 so that you can get a new member post, that I found helpful when first diagnosed.

The proof of whether you diet will help with the prediabetes will be based on tests. You may be able to tolerate the carb foods in your diet.

When is you next HBA1C test due? You may want to test your blood glucose at home for daily feedback on what effect your meals have alongside counting how many carbs you are eating. This is what I did and it helped me see what I needed to cut back on and what was ok for me.

You recent test of 6 I think equates to 42 in new units. This is just into the UK level of prediabetes.

There are a variety of diets discussed on the forum and no 'right way' just what works for you.

Ruth_Marianna

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Not sure when I will get another HBA1C test. Tomorrow I am going to an appointment for the Diabetes Prevention Programme so I am hoping to find out more then. I just feel completely overwhelmed right now. I was avoiding obvious carbs like bread, rice, pasta etc simply because I felt that losing weight was key and cutting back on carbs would help. But now I feel as though I need to cut back on foods I always regarded as healthy like carrots, beetroot, sweet potatoes and fruit. I cannot afford the cost of increasing the protein element such as fish and meat and I worry about eating more fat either in meat or cheese because my cholesterol is high. I felt that I was successfully reducing my weight so should just stick with it but now I am confused.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
sounds like a very sensible diet. be warned they will probably push more brown/wholemeal carbs dont follow that advice. give it a good 3 months and request another it should have dropped. try not to worry.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Ruth_Marianna

Hello Ruth Marianna and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you like and someone will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 259,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Reactions: himtoo

Ruth_Marianna

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thanks for all the advise. I went today for my induction on the Diabetic Prevention Programme and my HBA1C test was normal. Looks like the diet changes I have made have already made a difference! Also the advisor was fully recommending a low carb diet and had to keep reminding me that fat does not make you fat. It is hard for me to take that onboard after all the years of being told to eat a low fat high fibre diet. I need to stick with it now and lose more weight and she also recommended psillion husk capsules to help with my constipation. Should also help with weight loss so that is good.

jwongcsp

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who are not willing to give up sugar, starches, fizzy drinks, and processed carbohydrates.
Hi Ruth - Another good resource is Dr. Eric Westman he has many lectures and interviews on You Tube. Just do a search for him and you will get many hits. He has a good list of what to eat on a Keto diet. Good luck to you. Staying off pills can be done. It is not easy, but it can be done. I was diagnosed pre-diabetic 13 years ago. I'm still pre-diabetic today. I had a GP tell me, pre-diabetes is a chronic and progressive disease it can only get worse. That was 13 years ago. Good luck.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have found that weightloss just happened once I got my numbers right, and that I can eat low carb foods - things under 11 percent carbs far more freely than high carb grains or vegetables.
I do chose to eat tuna rather than salmon, chicken thighs rather than fillets, as that means I can eat low carb and mainly unprocessed foods quite cheaply. I eat lots of eggs as I never quite believed that cholesterol in food was related to levels in blood in the first place.
Sweet potato and sweetcorn are rather high carb foods, there are better choices to keep carb levels down - though as you seem to be doing well it might be unimportant, at least for the present.

Ruth_Marianna

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi Ruth - Another good resource is Dr. Eric Westman he has many lectures and interviews on You Tube. Just do a search for him and you will get many hits. He has a good list of what to eat on a Keto diet. Good luck to you. Staying off pills can be done. It is not easy, but it can be done. I was diagnosed pre-diabetic 13 years ago. I'm still pre-diabetic today. I had a GP tell me, pre-diabetes is a chronic and progressive disease it can only get worse. That was 13 years ago. Good luck.

Arlmy

Not sure when I will get another HBA1C test. Tomorrow I am going to an appointment for the Diabetes Prevention Programme so I am hoping to find out more then. I just feel completely overwhelmed right now. I was avoiding obvious carbs like bread, rice, pasta etc simply because I felt that losing weight was key and cutting back on carbs would help. But now I feel as though I need to cut back on foods I always regarded as healthy like carrots, beetroot, sweet potatoes and fruit. I cannot afford the cost of increasing the protein element such as fish and meat and I worry about eating more fat either in meat or cheese because my cholesterol is high. I felt that I was successfully reducing my weight so should just stick with it but now I am confused.

Morning and welcome to the forum
I agree with guzzler, weight is just another symptom, I am 57 kg with a Hb A1c of 42 including high cholesterol - I was following a healthier diet also
I would write all these questions down and ask at the prevention programme tomorrow
Sweet potato and parsnips are considered as good choices

I attended a similar program a few days ago and I was told berries, small banana, half an apple to name some, a portion should fit in the palm of your hand, no dried fruit or smaller quantities as the sugar content is to high, but , only two fruits a day, I asked this twice as I’m aware of the five a day. I find this book very helpful

The people on this forum is Amazing- very encouraging

Good luck
659492e10ebeaccacbcee84572234ab9.jpg

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
sugar bread is high carb potatoes are low, and veg.
Potatoes are NOT low-carb. The chart you have posted is somewhat strange: swapping pizza for Greek yoghurt? Doesn't make sense. Fruit is 10% carbs? One medium banana is 27g!

jwongcsp

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who are not willing to give up sugar, starches, fizzy drinks, and processed carbohydrates.
Yogurt here in the USA is mostly non-fat or low fat and has lots of sugar. Take a look at the amount of sugar and carbohydrate before eating.