Newly diagnosed but I've been here before

DebbieAnne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
..so, here goes.... Think I need tops on getting into a routine now I've been put on insulin.....

I have battled with weight and diabetes (was told it was type 2 and weight related for sometime now but that diagnosis has changed ). Over time I'd lost a huge amount of weight, (12stone) but still had big dips and rises in my blood glucose, and was asymptomatic. Over past year its been very very high.... So I seen the Dr's (numerous times) Id been given a multitude of tablets and a various range of cocktails of medication to take. No changes in my BM so changes in doses along with promises and hopes that 'this tablet will be the one to do the trick".... Sadly, none worked, my BM over the past year has been around 18.5. And 24.7, I posted on here, asked for advice and got some fantastic guidance (thank you!!!) .i got Tablets called EMPAGLIFLOZIN to' grab the sugar in my system and pee it out' they also promised to help me lose weight too.... sounded great, but made me very sick. Metphormin made my tummy hurt so they swapped for slow release, these alone proved to be a problem for my 'tummy'. the drs even tried an increased
dose of glimperimide which just did not do anything. So on 26th September 2017 I was FINALLY seen by a consultant. and was told to " stop torturing myself with oral medication, it's clearly not enough for me" . I was then prescribed insulin (2types). One is nova rapid (3x daily) and other is a slow release I take before bed.. . Thank you to everyone on this forum for their advice and support as I've now been told I'm NOT type 2, but more likely to be late onset type 1. I didn't even know that was a thing.... But the diabetic nurse has been outstanding and explained everything I needed to know, tso far so good. I'm managing the injections OK. It's just very hard with the job I do to ensure I eat regularly, and that I am able to stop and do my injection at the right time... Guessing, once I get a routine I'll be fine??? , so to sum up, I have been able to get rid of all tablets (there were LOTS!!!!) But they're all replaced by 4 injections every day. But it's fine. I am already seeing a drop in my blood sugars. Any tips on how to get into a routine, or snacks to carry in car (I'm out in car a lot with my job, or sharing a desk so I basically store my stuff in the car) sorry if this is rambling, I've had so much to squeeze in, and so much to get my head around since Tues xx. Any tips??

Reactions: Chook and Guzzler

katmcd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The best thing I did was ask HR for an occupational health referral-I don't know if you would have that option available to you? They really helped in ensuring my working day was as routine as possible so I could have time for meals, testing, ensuring certain activities weren't timed at a period my BG may go low and adjustments for driving. Also what should happen if i got sick and needed to follow the sick day rules or if I became hypo at work. They are called reasonable adjustments and can seem a lot (and sometimes stating the obvious) when you first get them but I see them as adjustment which protect you and your interests. Especially if anyone ever challenges what you are doing, it is written in black and white why you are doing it and that it has been recommended.
Car wise, I don't eat a main meal when out and about. I have a lunch bag with my hypo supply in (long and short acting) and a bottle of lucozade sport in my cup holder. If I am travelling and it runs into meal time, then I usually just bring a sandwich or salad either for in the car or usually to have at the other end if it's not too far.
K x

Reactions: TooSweetForMe

DebbieAnne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The best thing I did was ask HR for an occupational health referral-I don't know if you would have that option available to you? They really helped in ensuring my working day was as routine as possible so I could have time for meals, testing, ensuring certain activities weren't timed at a period my BG may go low and adjustments for driving. Also what should happen if i got sick and needed to follow the sick day rules or if I became hypo at work. They are called reasonable adjustments and can seem a lot (and sometimes stating the obvious) when you first get them but I see them as adjustment which protect you and your interests. Especially if anyone ever challenges what you are doing, it is written in black and white why you are doing it and that it has been recommended.
Car wise, I don't eat a main meal when out and about. I have a lunch bag with my hypo supply in (long and short acting) and a bottle of lucozade sport in my cup holder. If I am travelling and it runs into meal time, then I usually just bring a sandwich or salad either for in the car or usually to have at the other end if it's not too far.
K x
Thank you for your help. Especially the bit on what you carry in the car food/snack wise. I've just ordered a small bag that will hold both pens, testing kit, snacks and hypo stuff, this should make it easier for me to get organised. I'm sure I'll get used to it, just got my recent hba1c results. 90% :'( previous was 81%.... But my diabetes nurse is amazing, she's extremely supportive and has been great with making sure I am OK. She's increased my long lasting insulin (night time) to 12units as my fasting bg is still 22 or 25 I'm doing everything I can to get it down, changed what I eat and when, drinking more water, more excersize etc. But it's getting to me when I see my bg so high despite the fact that I have had a very healthy diet, low carb, no sugar.... What am I doing wrong?? . :( xx

KathyCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you for your help. Especially the bit on what you carry in the car food/snack wise. I've just ordered a small bag that will hold both pens, testing kit, snacks and hypo stuff, this should make it easier for me to get organised. I'm sure I'll get used to it, just got my recent hba1c results. 90% :'( previous was 81%.... But my diabetes nurse is amazing, she's extremely supportive and has been great with making sure I am OK. She's increased my long lasting insulin (night time) to 12units as my fasting bg is still 22 or 25 I'm doing everything I can to get it down, changed what I eat and when, drinking more water, more excersize etc. But it's getting to me when I see my bg so high despite the fact that I have had a very healthy diet, low carb, no sugar.... What am I doing wrong?? . :( xx

Hi DebbieAnne, sorry that you're having such a tough time. it doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong - from what you say, it sounds like you've been trying to do everything right for quite some time now, and you should be really proud of yourself for that. the fact is that sometimes we just can't control how our bodies decide to behave. hopefully the insulin will help your bg levels. oh, and i carry nuts or pieces of cheese with me as a snack, but i'm not taking insulin, so someone who is may be able to give you better advice about this.

Reactions: DCUKMod

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You may not be doing anything wrong at all, and even if you are tripping up somewhere, you have been trying very hard to get things under control, which is all any of us can do at any given time.

Being newly prescribed insulin, I am assuming you have a good stock of test strips on hand, and on your repeat prescription? Assuming that to be the case, I would suggest lots and lots of testing, both to ensure you are settling into your new medication regime in the way you want to, but also to maximise your chances of picking up any glitches along the way.

I've never taken insulin, but I do appreciate it's a steep learning curve, but I'm sure there are lots of experienced members who will be happy to help with any queries you might have.

I'm assuming you're having, or have had the additional blood tests t help clarify your diabetes type? If your diagnosis is updated to T1, it could be helpful to try to remember to update your profile to reflect your new status.

Good luck with it all.