Newly Diagnosed, cancer to diabetes

nigel1107

Was diagnosed with type1 insuline dependant diabetes on the 10th July, in my case thou i am also being treated for stage 4 Hodgkin lymphoma, they don't believe its due to steriod treatment as i only have 4m injection twice a month which is not much. Managed to get my blood glucos level down with the help of my diabetes nurse, but on thursday i had another dose of chemo, and after that it sent my blood glucose levels back into double figures, which is a bit scary.
Any helpful advice most welcome

Nigel

Viscount

When you get diagnosed with something like cancer they start testing you for almost everything.
You are not the only one, I got diagnosed with testicular cancer in January and three weeks later with Type2 diabetes, unlike you I've not had to have chemo (so far).

nigel1107

Thank you for the reply Viscount, the reason they found it was i had to have a pct-ct scan performed which i had to be starved for and only allowed plain water, on the morning of my scan after being starved from 12 the night before i got told off for having a small bottle of sugar free flavoured water, which meant my blood glucos level was too high for the scan and told to go back the next morning, so starved again and only drinking tap water i went back for the secound time they promptly checked my blood sugar which was even higher than the day before showing 21.1. So again the scan couldn't be done, they phoned my trial nurse and explained it to her, she in turn spoke to my cancer doc who got me into the diabetes clinic that afternoon to get them to look at me inorder to get the levels down to have the pct-ct scan done. When the diabetic nurse checked me in the afternoon my levels had shot up to over 33 just showing high on the meter. So i was put on insulin shown how to use the monitor and three days later my levels had droped low enough for them to do the pct-ct scan.

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Hi there!

I was diagnosed with colorectal cancer in late 2010(before diagnosis of Diabetes) aged 34,along with a smallish lesion on the right lobe of my liver(Which they monitor every 6 months via a CT scan as they believe it's benign), a subsequent surgery at the beginning of 2011 where they removed 40cm of large intestine,23 lymph nodes and formed a colostomy of which I still hope to be reversed,I didn't have Chemotherapy but I have heard how it can play havoc with your Blood glucose levels. :thumbdown:
I don't have any advice regarding your particular cancer but I just want to offer you my support and best wishes at such a difficult and confusing time.

Best wishes

Paul

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Hi Nigel and Viscount.

First Nigel can't really advise you as you're T1 and as I'm T2 things can be different but just wanted to say hi and wish you all the best with your treatment.

Viscount again all the best with your treatment sounds like you are going through a bad time. Thought I'd let you know what I did but best to check with your doc if you think its a good idea and want to do a similar regime. I was diagnosed in December last year and using the advice I found on the forum got my blood sugar levels back to normal within around a couple of months or so and I have also normalised my cholesterol levels and blood pressure as well. I have now lost nearly 4 stone in weight too. My doctor is very pleased how I am getting on and has advised me to keep doing what I have been doing since it's obviously working really well. You can normalise your blood levels but that isn't the same as a cure I'm afraid. What it means is that you will need to be very careful about what you eat from now on.

What you should eat diet wise is really easy. Just drastically cut down or better cut out all things with plain sugar, so biscuits, cakes, sugar in tea and coffee, pure fruit juices, non diet versions of soft drinks. Next and really importantly try halving starchy foods like rice, pasta, potatoes, bread, cereals and any other flour based products. Replace what's now missing with extra meat, fish, eggs, cheese and especially vegetables. Vegetables that grow above ground are best although most of us find carrots fine. Things like yoghurt are fine as is a small amount of fresh fruit. I find the ones that end in "berry" are the best. If you don't mind artificial sweeteners things like Diet Coke are fine to drink. On the starchy foods that are left swap try brown basmati rice instead of white and brown or tri-colour pasta. The bread that most recommend is actually Bergen soya bread but some do ok with wholemeal as well.

The above regime is close to one you would be one recommended to try by the Swedish Health service. It was introduced in that country last year and the American health service and several other countries health services recommend something very similar for Type 2 diabetics. In the UK the diet guidelines are now over 30 years old and are only gradually being updated. As the UK is lagging behind you may find what I and other forum members recommend is different to what your are told is a good diet for you follow.

Next most members would recommend you test your own blood sugar levels. Did your doctor give you a meter and strips? Some do and some don't. It's a bit of a post code lottery and we find some progressive surgeries are pro testing and others anti. I'll warn you the anti ones can sometimes be very vocally anti! If you ask and get told no then if you can afford to most members will get a meter and test themselves anyway. A meter that many people are buying at the moment is called as SD CodeFree. The meter and 50 strips will cost under £20 then new strips are just £5 per 50 which is a lot cheaper than most other meters. The cheapest place to buy is the healthcare.co.uk shop on eBay but make sure you get a UK mmol/l model and not a US mg/dl one or the numbers it shows will be confusing.

The reason testing is important is you should try and keep your blood sugars below 8ish two hours after eating any meal. Above the 8 value is where the dangers of complications do begin to occur according to diabetic experts. So if you can't test how will you now if what you are eating is keeping you safe? The problem is every diabetic is different so my earlier advice to halve starchy foods is just a rough guide. You may find you need to eat less than half (like me) or that you can eat more than half like others.

As you get into it all and read around the forum you may see people talking about carb counting. If you want to understand what that is just ask. It is a powerful weapon that a diabetic can use to control their condition and one that many of us use to great effect.

Good luck and keep asking questions.

Regards

Steve

PS Here's two good links about what's good to eat.

First is the lady doctor who's low carb / low GI recommendations seem to form the basis of what's recommended in Sweden

http://blogg.passagen.se/dahlqvistannika/?anchor=my_lowcarb_dietary_programe_in

Second is a good beginners guide to low carb regimes that are excellent for reducing blood sugar levels and losing weight.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

WhitbyJet

Hello Nigel and Viscount
Just wanted to say that xyyz's advice is spot on.
In actual fact more and more oncologists are recommending their patients are following a low carb high fat diet, basically this is because cancer cells feed on glucose
http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&sclient= ... 18&bih=538

I have replied to a member who was diagnosed with breast cancer :-(((( and I still hope and pray all is well with her, I am copying you the link here, please read my post, maybe you can take something positive away from it.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=29924&p=280592&hilit=bressingham#p280592

I most certainly wish you all the very best, I am not just saying it but I really do hope and pray all will be well again.

Judith
x

Viscount

Hi all,

My experience was very similar to everyone here.
Probably for another forum, however after finding a lump in my testes and going to the GP, which in turn led to an appointment with a consultant, who then tells you you've got cancer - well you know what that's like it caused my blood pressure to go through the roof.
Subsequently they put me into the operation only 3 days later and it was then all the various blood pressure monitors you get prior to an operation, they were saying my blood pressure was too high - understandable really!
I'm 36 by the way.

So post operation I was advised to go see my GP about that and they did a urine test as well.
That afternoon I got a call from my GP - can you believe it! I can't remember the last time my GP called me! Saying my blood glucose levels were too high. I think about 22mmol.

Saw the diabetes Nurse and we tried diet to begin with. That didn't work as it got down to 18mmol so got put onto metformin.
Now its about 6.5 in the mornings and anywhere from 4.8-6.5 in the evenings.

co-incidently one of my work collegues was diagnosed with Type 2 about 2 weeks after me so we've been able to compare notes.

We live in different areas - she is in London, i'm in Essex and the level of care is quite different. My father is also type 2 and he's always telling me what I should be be getting so I have another side.

apparently you should get two Hba1c tests per year? I get one
i'm still waiting for my eye screening (6 months later), but my collegue had hers within 3 weeks.
We get completely different advice on food from our diabetes nurses. I'm beginning to think they don't really know what they are talking about.
But I have been given free strips, lances and blood monitor.

I had my hba1c and the result was really good - can't remember what it is on top of my head but its in non diabetic levels.

I have noticed how much my weight has dropped. In september last year I was 18-19 stone (i'm 6 foot 3) now i'm about 13.5 stone so i'm pretty pleased with that. I had tried for years to lose weight and all was needed was to cut out sugar!

Thanks for your advice xyyz. i'll have a look at that.

teddybear

2004 saw me with a lumpectomy for breast cancer. The shock of all the
appointments with consultants, threw my sugars into another orbit.
I am type 2, using insulin. Therefore, I used to go according to my
own testing for doses.
Lots of scans were involved...
I DO NOT TAKE METFORMIN AT ALL. PLEASE PAY CAREFUL ATTENTION
IF THEY TRY AND GIVE YOU A BIG JUG OF FLAVOURED WATER TO DRINK
BEFORE THE SCAN... METFORMIN DOES NOT MATCH WITH THE CONTENTS
OF THE SUBSTANCE THEY PUT INTO THE DRINK FOR IMAGING.
A very dear friend of mine had this drink, he took metformin, they did
not mix well, ending in his death one week later.
So my friends, be careful when they present you with that lethal drink!!!!!
given before scans...
ruth karp hove

Viscount

It does say on the metformin leaflet to stop taking metformin several days before your CT scan and 2 days after - which I did and my levels went up to 11.