newly diagnosed & confused

woodijayne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
my name is Jayne.
I am finding it hard to come to terms with my diagnosis and everywhere I look for help and support is confusing and causing me to become stressed out.
I do not know what to, or what not to eat, I don't understand all this carb counting and the Gi, I have received a blood sugar testing kit from diabetics uk but cannot use it as I don't know what my goal is or what that means and how do I know if the readings are high or low and when do I test. I have asked my G P about going on one of the education causes you talk about but am told there are none in my area I cannot see a dietition as the have none, how am I surposed to learn and live with this disease if I cannot find guidance to do
it? I am getting so mad with myself I am starting to think to hell with it and throw the medication away and carry on as before. after all I hadn't got any symptoms I only found out through a blood test. I was give a health sheet with the 15 things you should expect from your healthcare team etc, the podiatry and eye screening are the only 2 out of the 15. it mentions the education coarse and dietition in this list. Please can someone help me in understanding or advise where to go to learn to understand.
many thanks for reading
Jayne

Reactions: 2 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
hello jayne and welcome
it is scarey in the first instance but i found by reading thru the different topics and asking lots of questions and advice, i,m learning to live with type 2

Reactions: 4 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hello Jayne and welcome to the forum :)

I hope this information which we give to new members will help you to get things clearer in your mind. Ask all the questions you need to - there is always someone who can reply.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 100,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jayne and welcome. Don't worry, the cavalry is here. It seems like you're in an area where healthcare is very basic, so this forum can help. Can you say more about your diabetes -- type 1 or 2? Did the GP mention medication?
Don't worry about the carb counting and stuff yet.
Plenty of reassuring reading above.
See you around. :)

alliebee

Hi there welcome to the forum. Its so hard when you are first diagnosed. So many questions. They are a great bunch of people on here who have all been where you are. So read around the forum and ask as many questions as you like :). It will get easier I promise.

Reactions: 6 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jayne and welcome.

These are the guideline targets for Type 2's to aim for with home testing

Between 4 and 7mmol/l immediately before eating
Under 8.5mmol/l at 2hrs after first bite

They are a general guideline, and much depends where you are at the moment as to whether you can reach these targets. Once you have reached them, you might like to aim for under 6 before meals and under 7.8 at 2 hours. The lower the better.

As a general rule, when you test before and after a meal, look at the difference in the readings. Ideally, this should be no more than 2mmol/l. If it is much higher than this, there is something in that meal that needs your attention, either by reducing portions of the carbohydrate content, or avoiding it completely for a while. This might be bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, pastry, cereals, fruit, milk. (and of course sugary stuff, which needs cutting out totally).

It is all trial and error, and none of us can tell you what to eat or what not to eat because we are all different with what we can cope with. However, those foods I mentioned do need reducing. Fats such as dairy and olive oil do not raise blood sugars (the low fat varieties may if they have added carbs/sugar) and proteins such as meat, fish, eggs are all good, as are most vegetables (but not all) and salads, tomatoes and mushrooms.

You need to be careful when shopping. Look at the food nutrition labels on the packaging, and look for the Total Carbohydrate amounts (not the "of which sugars". Try to keep this under 10g per 100g, ideally under 5g.

Do stick around, ask questions, take a deep breath, and read as much as you can. Good luck.

Reactions: 6 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi Jayne, welcome. Don't panic, we all started from where you are now. Breathe in, have a read around and ask any questions.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jayne, and welcome.

The diagnosis and lack of NHS support can be pretty overwhelming.
And frustration, anger, hopelessness and depression often follow on. But they are part of the natural process, and should pass. Even if it doesn't feel like it at the moment!

But you have found this place, and it will be one of the best things you have ever done. We're a varied bunch, so we squabble a bit sometimes ;) But I think that nearly everyone here posts because they care.

And you will find better, more detailed, and much more helpful info on this forum than you will get in any 10 min appointment at your local surgery. And nearly everyone here is diabetic, so we are in the same boat, and speak from experience of what we have found that works for us.

There's plenty of diet and diabetes management all over the forum. So you'll be able to choose a way of eating that fits your body and lifestyle.

Have you got any pre-existing health concerns that restrict activity or food choices? That can make quite a difference! :)

krmtype2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Celery
Hi
my name is Jayne.
I am finding it hard to come to terms with my diagnosis and everywhere I look for help and support is confusing and causing me to become stressed out.
I do not know what to, or what not to eat, I don't understand all this carb counting and the Gi, I have received a blood sugar testing kit from diabetics uk but cannot use it as I don't know what my goal is or what that means and how do I know if the readings are high or low and when do I test. I have asked my G P about going on one of the education causes you talk about but am told there are none in my area I cannot see a dietition as the have none, how am I surposed to learn and live with this disease if I cannot find guidance to do
it? I am getting so mad with myself I am starting to think to hell with it and throw the medication away and carry on as before. after all I hadn't got any symptoms I only found out through a blood test. I was give a health sheet with the 15 things you should expect from your healthcare team etc, the podiatry and eye screening are the only 2 out of the 15. it mentions the education coarse and dietition in this list. Please can someone help me in understanding or advise where to go to learn to understand.
many thanks for reading
Jayne

krmtype2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Celery
Jayne

Your posting echoes everything I have been confused about when diagnosed earlier this year.

I have been told not to test, even though I would not have gone to the Doctors if I hadn't been tested by a friend (I had no symptoms) and was told, like you, that it was a waste of time and if I was eating correctly then there would be no need as I could not change my tablets accordingly.

I have also been told by my DN to eat carbs at every meal, and to carry carbs with me at all times, and became very confused when I read the forum regarding low carb diets as to how this would work when I was not able to test myself and was worried about hypos.

I have read some great information on the forum and thank Diabetes UK for allowing me to access to everyone, whose advice has been invaluable.

I will get some strips and start testing as I want to be in control.

by the way, Flu Jab, Yes or No?

Reactions: 3 people

XXXX12

Jayne

Your posting echoes everything I have been confused about when diagnosed earlier this year.

I have been told not to test, even though I would not have gone to the Doctors if I hadn't been tested by a friend (I had no symptoms) and was told, like you, that it was a waste of time and if I was eating correctly then there would be no need as I could not change my tablets accordingly.

I have also been told by my DN to eat carbs at every meal, and to carry carbs with me at all times, and became very confused when I read the forum regarding low carb diets as to how this would work when I was not able to test myself and was worried about hypos.

I have read some great information on the forum and thank Diabetes UK for allowing me to access to everyone, whose advice has been invaluable.

I will get some strips and start testing as I want to be in control.

by the way, Flu Jab, Yes or No?

XXXX12

Hi Jayne re Carbs. You need to have some carbs each day, but you could look into those items with either low carbs or low GI. For me potatoes seem to be a problem, so I am trying to cut them out. You might want to look for a book called The Diabetic Cooking Book by Fiona Hunter & Heather Whinney or The Complete Book of Diabetic Cooking by Bridget Jones. Both have lots of recipes as well as lots of information that will be of use to you. Also there is a monthly magazine 'Healthy Food Guide' which you can get in most supermarkets. Full of information for healthy eating
Try not to stress too much as this also raises your glucose levels. Keep reading as much as you can - even start a scrap book of articles for future reference - I always seem to be checking mine as you won't be able to remember everything.Don't give up and certainly don't ignore it. All the best

Tal

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
my name is Jayne.
many thanks for reading
Jayne

Hi Jayne
Looks like you've got a lot of support here. I'm new here - was diagnosed with type 2 a few months ago. I like bread (wholemeal) too much to cut down much, and I haven't bothered much with calorie counting, but I find intermittent fasting works for me. The GP assured me that complete fast (water) for one day was fine. (I do drink tea usually though - milk, no sugar any more). The hunger fades. I've gone from 94KG to 82 Kg.
I got a glucose meter, and found the BG level does go up to 9 or 10 mmol/L about an hour or so after eating, then comes down. Doc says this is not damaging. But (thinking it might be) I tested the effect of walking. I found even a gentle stroll brings it right down (5 or 6 mmol/L instead of 9 or 10). Worth knowing, although I don't generally feel like exercise after eating, and the doc told me to rest if I feel like it. In fact I'm not sure what to do now!
My HbA1c 3 months after diagnosis was 43 mmol/mol, which is only just on the edge of pre-diabetes, so I'm a bit confused about the diagnosis. I feel so much better with the fasting it's worth it anyway (I am still overweight, so it may suit me more than others). I also found cinnamon in tea is nice and has a dramatic effect on BG levels.
I hope this helps Jayne, and any comments about my confusion would be welcome :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jayne re Carbs. You need to have some carbs each day, but you could look into those items with either low carbs or low GI. For me potatoes seem to be a problem, so I am trying to cut them out. You might want to look for a book called The Diabetic Cooking Book by Fiona Hunter & Heather Whinney or The Complete Book of Diabetic Cooking by Bridget Jones. Both have lots of recipes as well as lots of information that will be of use to you. Also there is a monthly magazine 'Healthy Food Guide' which you can get in most supermarkets. Full of information for healthy eating
Try not to stress too much as this also raises your glucose levels. Keep reading as much as you can - even start a scrap book of articles for future reference - I always seem to be checking mine as you won't be able to remember everything.Don't give up and certainly don't ignore it. All the best

It is impossible to avoid carbs, unless you eat nothing but fat and protein (and even then, some of the protein breaks down to glucose).

Even very low carb diets provide carbs. The problem isn't whether to eat carbs, or not, it is working out how much carbohydrate a person can eat without it pushing their blood glucose up too high for too long.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jayne
Looks like you've got a lot of support here. I'm new here - was diagnosed with type 2 a few months ago. I like bread (wholemeal) too much to cut down much, and I haven't bothered much with calorie counting, but I find intermittent fasting works for me. The GP assured me that complete fast (water) for one day was fine. (I do drink tea usually though - milk, no sugar any more). The hunger fades. I've gone from 94KG to 82 Kg.
I got a glucose meter, and found the BG level does go up to 9 or 10 mmol/L about an hour or so after eating, then comes down. Doc says this is not damaging. But (thinking it might be) I tested the effect of walking. I found even a gentle stroll brings it right down (5 or 6 mmol/L instead of 9 or 10). Worth knowing, although I don't generally feel like exercise after eating, and the doc told me to rest if I feel like it. In fact I'm not sure what to do now!
My HbA1c 3 months after diagnosis was 43 mmol/mol, which is only just on the edge of pre-diabetes, so I'm a bit confused about the diagnosis. I feel so much better with the fasting it's worth it anyway (I am still overweight, so it may suit me more than others)
I hope this helps Jayne, and any comments about my confusion would be welcome :)

Hello and welcome.

What was your HbA1c at the time of diagnosis? Presumably it was 48 or more, or you wouldn't have been given a type 2 diagnosis. If you don't know what it was, it would be a good idea to find out. An HbA1c of 43 is in the pre-diabetic range, and not by much, so you have done well to get it down, assuming you have!

krmtype2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Celery
My DN told me that testing kits were not recommended or available on the NHS because people were over testing and killing the nerve endings in their fingertips!!!!

How are you testers getting on out there and how are you able to logon let alone type :stop:

Kathryn

Tal

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome.

What was your HbA1c at the time of diagnosis? Presumably it was 48 or more, or you wouldn't have been given a type 2 diagnosis. If you don't know what it was, it would be a good idea to find out. An HbA1c of 43 is in the pre-diabetic range, and not by much, so you have done well to get it down, assuming you have!

The diagnosis was made on the basis of a single BG fasting sample. I suspect it was high due to cortisol high after just waking and rushing to the appointment. It was 7.6 mmol/L, and I've never, at home had a result over 6.0 (fasting). I only have the one HbA1c result. Thanks :)

Tal

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My DN told me that testing kits were not recommended or available on the NHS because people were over testing and killing the nerve endings in their fingertips!!!!

How are you testers getting on out there and how are you able to logon let alone type :stop:

Kathryn

I wasn't offered a meter, just went ahead and bought one, because I find it empowering to know what's going on, and motivating to see what effects exercise has on BG (for example). ...And I'm a gadget-lover!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The diagnosis was made on the basis of a single BG fasting sample. I suspect it was high due to cortisol high after just waking and rushing to the appointment. It was 7.6 mmol/L, and I've never, at home had a result over 6.0 (fasting). I only have the one HbA1c result. Thanks :)

That is unusual. It is normal to follow this up with another fasting BG test and an HbA1c within a few days in order to confirm diagnosis. One single fasting test is unreliable because of the reasons you gave. I think your doctor may have jumped the gun, but no harm in being diagnosed diabetic. You get put on the care pathway with annual retinal eye screening, foot checks, and regular HbA1c tests, so not all bad!