Newly diagnosed - depressed and confused!!

astraltrader

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Two months ago told I have diabetes with a reading of 48 which apparently is the lowest level??
I am 64 and had borderline diabetes [pre-diabetes??] for 20 years.
I am overweight and do not get enough exercise [5ft 9" and c15 stone] although I was 16 stone up to a couple of years ago.
IMO I have gone into diabetes as a result of my GP telling me I should take statins which I have since found out has a side effect of increasing ones blood sugar level!!
Very fed up and don't know what to do!
In the two months since told I have diabetes I have had my eyes tested [no problems] and given Metaformin which has really upset my stomach. I told my doctor on the phone today that I could not cope with these anymore and he is now sending a prescription for something new. Once I get it I will let people here know what it is called to get any feedback.
Any comments/advice to this depressed and confused newbie??!!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm no expert as I was only diagnosed a month before you. However I do know, as you've said, that with an HbA1c of 48 you are only just in the diabetic range. I was diagnosed with HbA1c of 70! At my first review it was down to 45! I am taking Metformin and am lucky that I'm tolerating it well now, but it only helps a little. The other ways I've used to bring my level down has been a low carbohydrate diet and self monitoring my blood sugar levels. I'm tagging @daisy1 who'll give you loads of useful links but I think at a level of 48 you could achieve a lower level on diet alone. As for the Statins, do you know why you've been given them?

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@astraltrader

Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you like and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 250,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Reactions: Rachox

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

Please don't worry, everyone feels like that when first diagnosed. We have all been there. Rest assured there is every chance you can get back to non-diabetic levels with a bit of application and a suitable diet.

Firstly, yes indeed, statins can and do raise blood sugar levels. It even says so on the information leaflets.

Secondly, I urge you to buy your own blood glucose meter and start testing out your meals and what your food choices are doing to your blood sugar levels. Doing this, and keeping a food diary, will help you enormously. Without one you are working blind and have no idea which foods are doing you harm. If you buy one we can help you use it to your best advantage.

Thirdly, I am surprised your GP prescribed medication with your borderline HbA1c. It is normal to allow you to try 3 months on diet and exercise to reduce your levels, and then if that isn't working to prescribe Metformin. Or maybe you were already given this 3 months previously when pre-diabetic?

Metformin is a mild drug but does very little to lower blood glucose levels. It helps a bit with insulin resistance and in reducing the amount of glucose the liver produces independently of any food you eat. It is also an appetite suppressant.

Fourthly, perhaps you could ask for print outs of your blood test results as these will tell you a lot more than your doctor has. They will tell you what your cholesterol breakdown was for a start, which is important.

Do have a good read round the forums and see how others are managing, and read Daisy's post as it contains a lot of useful information. Particularly take note of the role of carbohydrate.

Do keep posting, and ask as many questions as you like.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @astraltrader and welcome to the forum. Most of us do go through a range of emotions on being diagnosed as Tpe 2 Diabetic, including depression, confusion, shock, fear, shame, anger and denial. It does take a bit of time to get your head around it all.
Your HbA1c of 48 is indeed at the bottom of the diabetic range. Below 42 is non-diabetic, 42-47 is pre-diabetic, and 48 and above is diabetic.
But the good news is that you should be able to lower your blood sugar level into the pre-diabetic or even non-diabetic level reasonably easily. A lot of us on here have done that by adopting a Low Carbohydrate High Fat (LCHF) approach to eating, which often reduces weight too.
The statins might well have raised your blood sugars and contributed to your diagnosis. I think they did for me, and I stopped taking them. But we can't be sure that they were the cause. Many other factors can contribute too.

The new prescription your doctor is sending is probably for slow release Metafornin (SR) which people say have less side effects.
Metafornin won't make much difference to your bs levels, but does act as a hunger suppressant so should aid weight loss, which will contribute to lowering bs levels. Fat, especially around the middle, is likely to lead to visveral fat around the liver and pancreas which in turn effects their performance in dealing with sugar in the blood.

Have a read round the threads to see how LCHF works and ask any questions you want to, the people on here are friendly and supportive and you will get a lot of good advice.

One other thing, it is useful to get a blood glucose meter so you can monitor your blood sugar levels yourself, and find out which foods raise your bs levels. @AM1874 can give you the links to low cost meters and testing strips.

Last edited:

ilan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Fortunatly you are not alone and you have come to the best place I would suggest you talk to you gp and get a print out of your cholesterol levels as well as your sugar as HbA1c of 48 is very marginal especialy as you are on statins Ask if you can try diet alone first off. I am in the same situation as you and was given diet only with some simple changes you can lose a bit of weight and drop your blood sugars down plenty of advice and infomation on this forum as to how .

Reactions: Prem51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was put straight onto Metformin and Atorvastatin and was absolutely wretched for a couple of months - I stopped taking them after a few weeks but the effects reduced only slowly - my memory is still affected.
I now eat low carb foods and have normal blood glucose readings, not even prediabetic.

Reactions: Prem51 and Rachox

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, welcome. I'm sure you'll find support here. I'm interested that you've been borderline for 20 years. Did you try to find out anything about that? Were you worried, or did you hope it would go away, or did a GP tell you it didn't matter? Anyway, have a good read on the forum and ask whatever you need to know. Good time to start before it gets worse.

ilan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
For me as i am in the same situation as Astraltrader it was a casual remark made some years ago no follow up suggested and I was feeling quite healthy indeed it was not untill this year I noticed some issues and strange in a way I tended to avoid some sweet foods that I used to enjoy, so I requested the sugarcheck at the surgery .again it was a simple" you have tipped over into being diabetic " and perhaps a diet change will help I will send you on a Desmond day event and check in three months ?

Dennis86

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed last week with type 2, and since then I've been going through a lot of emotions especially the blame game as I did this to myself due to poor diet and gaining a lot of weight over the past 8yrs (long story behind it family tragedy) and got to wait till 29th before I see my drs diabetes team to sort out medication, and at the moment I feel I can't deal with this but I know I have got to and don't really have ppl to talk to who have gone through this and feel a little alone. So glade I found this site/forum. That's it from me for now had to get this off my chest soz

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
I was diagnosed last week with type 2, and since then I've been going through a lot of emotions especially the blame game as I did this to myself due to poor diet and gaining a lot of weight over the past 8yrs (long story behind it family tragedy) and got to wait till 29th before I see my drs diabetes team to sort out medication, and at the moment I feel I can't deal with this but I know I have got to and don't really have ppl to talk to who have gone through this and feel a little alone. So glade I found this site/forum. That's it from me for now had to get this off my chest soz

Hi @Dennis86 . Don't worry too much. Firstly, the blame game is ONLY a total waste of time - accept that right away and dump it. You can definitely deal with it ..and you will. You will get lots of advice here if you ask for it (and maybe even if you don't) as there are lots of experienced Type 2s here who have been through most or all of the things you will feel. Ask questions and you will get answers. For now, I would say be prepared to get some very limited info from your meeting. You don't say what your levels are right now (you may not know really...but you will soon be very clear on what the numbers mean so don't be worried about that). I would suggest you ask your doctor/nurse if it is worth trying to lower blood sugar levels through changes to lifestyle first before you try in with medication. Up to you...I'm not saying don't take the meds...as it may well be the way to go for you...but if you think your diet may be a big factor in causing things, and you think you can change it, it's worth thinking about..and doing. The most important thing I learned early on was that it's not just sugary stuff that causes the problems...carbohydrates turn to sugar in the blood. My levels dropped dramatically as soon as I cut out bread, cereals, pasta, rice and spuds. Anyway, point it...you will get in control of it, and that feels pretty good. Good luck. Keep us posted.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @Dennis86 .. and welcome
You have certainly made a good move coming here. Since joining this forum, the folks here have given me so much info, advice and support that I am now much more confident about the journey ahead. There will be plenty of folk on here who will be able to offer specific advice about your meds .. so ask your questions and be assured that you will receive the answers that you need. It can all seem uphill to start with but, in my experience, it gets easier .. very quickly.

At this stage, a key point to take on board is that managing and controlling your diabetes (or pre-diabetes) through exercise, diet and testing your Blood Glucose seems to be the best way forward for many people. For me, committing to an LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) lifestyle and testing 3-5 times a day seems to be working and you'll find that there is a wealth of info, relevant advice and positive support about LCHF on the forum ..

I see that @daisy1 has already been in touch and I suggest that you read up on the Low Carb Program in the information that she has sent you. You might also find the discussion on the Low Carb Diet forum helpful .. and the following Diet Doctor websites ...
Low Carb Intro and Information
Low Carbs in 60 Seconds

It is a top priority that you get yourself a meter for testing your blood glucose and, for this, the following websites might help:
https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/
for the SD Codefree meter, which costs £12.98 or:
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/
who distribute the TEE 2 meter, which is free.
I have both which I alternate for comparative purposes and I have never found any significant difference between them.

Unless you are prescribed a meter and test strips by your doctor (unlikely), the costs of testing comes down to the ongoing charges for test strips and lancets. Make sure that you tick the appropriate box on the on-line order form and you won't pay VAT on the cost of your meter or strips.
For the SD Codefree, the strips are £7.69 for a pack of 50 and there are discount codes available for bulk purchases:
5 packs x 50 use code: 264086 .. cost is £38.45
10 packs x 50 use code: 975833 .. cost is £76.90
For the TEE 2, the strips are £7.75 for a pack of 50 .. there are no discount codes currently available for bulk buys
I'm testing 3-5 times a day which works out at around £10 to £12 per month for either of the two packages above but, more importantly, I know what my BG levels are .. and I can now manage them

Hope this helps