Newly diagnosed diet complications

Boobear

Hi first time on this forum I'm a newly diagnosed type 2 and I'm struggling with the diet what complicates matters is that I also have to have a gluten and wheat free diet and low fiber and low fat does anyone have any suggestions

Dark Horse

Choosing foods with a low glycaemic index (GI) is helpful as they don't raise glucose levels in the blood as quickly as high glycaemic index foods. Basmati rice is lower GI than other types of rice, sweet potato is lower GI than ordinary potato, new potatoes are lower than baked potatoes. Eating protein at the same time as carbohydrate helps as it lowers the overall glycaemic index of the meal.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't eat wheat and I don't intentionally eat extra fat, but this is a difficult set of circumstances.

Can you have fruit and vegetables in your low fibre diet? I hardly eat any grains as these are the items that raise blood sugar the most. I don't replace foods containing wheat with alternatives.

Have a look at this web link http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf and don't worry about the mention of high fat.

Your best friend when trying to find out what you can eat with specific dietary requirements is to test with your blood glucose meter. In your circumstances I would press your GP to prescribe a meter and strips.

Boobear

Hi I'm only allowed to have 2 portion of fruit or veg a day + potatoes I mainly eat carrots and leeks I do random bg levels every now and and again I am experiencing more highs and lows than normal since reducing sugars buts I never ate that many anyway but thanks for the advice if anyone has more please help :)

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would suggest swapping the potatoes for sweet potatoes as they are lower GI. Carrots, especially if they are well cooked aren't very good for BS levels.

I don't know what your medical issues are that give you your specific dietary requirements (and you don't have to say on here what they are).

Sometimes when people cut starchy carbs from their diet, many of their gastro issues go away. That's why I gave up eating wheat even though I tested negative twice for coeliac.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Do have the carrots raw. Burgen bread is wheat-free & gluten-free (I think) and low-GI and most supermarkets sell it. Any reason why you are on a low-fat diet as many of us substitute fat for carbs and the anti-fat obsession in the media doesn't now appear to have much factual backing and isn't necessarily the main cause of weight gain? Having fat with carbs will also smooth absorption.