Newly diagnosed (Food and snacking)

EwanKeen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a 19 year old first year university student and I was only diagnosed on Thursday. My levels have been a bit up and down at first but my diabetes team said that was to be expected!

As of recently I've been managing to keep my levels to below 14 and around 8 which I'm really happy about.

In general I was wondering if anyone has some good snacking ideas/advice as having something to eat can really help me when studying etc. Also advice on meals, I love pasta but from reading other forums it doesn't seem to be the best bet!

Thanks for any help you can give :)

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

After you've been diagnosed a while it is likely that your team will start you carb counting, its relatively easy and I haven't been on any course for it like many people have, this will then mean you can adjust your insulin for what you are eating, it gives more freedom, so don't write pasta off the list just yet! :)

For snacks, at the moment I'd say don't try things that are likely to need covered, so stick to say a handful of nuts, some cold meat and cheese, a few squares of dark chocolate if you like it, the higher the cocoa content the better as there's less carbohydrate and sugars, some people find they can have a snack but not need to inject for it if it is under 10g carbohydrate

As for meals, I'm afraid many will tell you to severely reduce the amount of bread, potatoes, pasta, rice etc that you have, a typical day for me is porridge and raspberries for breakfast, a sandwich and a nature valley protein bar for dinner and then potatoes and some sort of veg with meat/chicken/omelette etc for tea

Hope this has helped a little bit

xx

EwanKeen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

After you've been diagnosed a while it is likely that your team will start you carb counting, its relatively easy and I haven't been on any course for it like many people have, this will then mean you can adjust your insulin for what you are eating, it gives more freedom, so don't write pasta off the list just yet! :)

For snacks, at the moment I'd say don't try things that are likely to need covered, so stick to say a handful of nuts, some cold meat and cheese, a few squares of dark chocolate if you like it, the higher the cocoa content the better as there's less carbohydrate and sugars, some people find they can have a snack but not need to inject for it if it is under 10g carbohydrate

As for meals, I'm afraid many will tell you to severely reduce the amount of bread, potatoes, pasta, rice etc that you have, a typical day for me is porridge and raspberries for breakfast, a sandwich and a nature valley protein bar for dinner and then potatoes and some sort of veg with meat/chicken/omelette etc for tea

Hope this has helped a little bit

xx

Thank you for the reply!

Reactions: kaylz91

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As T1 you need to learn how to carb count and calculate the amount of carbs to insulin ratio.

I suggest go to T1 Forum.

Good luck mate!

D

Deleted Account

Once you have been introduced to carb counting (no need to rush into this), there should be no reason to avoid pasta.
As about 90% of people with diabets have type 2, much of the “diabetes diet advice” is for type 2 and does not need to be followed for type 1.
Some people with type 1, choose to follow a low carb diet but definitely not everyone: I am a regular pasta eater, make my own bread, love cake, ... eat a huge variety of food with and without carbs and maintain good BG most of the time.
When it comes to snacking, unless you want to inject every time you snack, it is a good idea to snack on low carb such as nuts, peperami, cheese, ...

Reactions: kaylz91