Newly diagnosed.... need bit of advice please

ela

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
I posted similar yest but no replies :( Im really confused and pretty scared. Im 17wks pregnant so require extra snacks but they put my readings high, I had an apple half hr before bed n wen I did bloods getting in bed they were 11.3 is that a normal reading for fruit? On tues my antenatal team were wanting to put me on insulin but agreed to allow me one more wk diet control. I go back this tues n my eve bs is still high they want below 6 for health of baby n I cant do it. What I dont get is do bs rise high wen eaten in non diabetics or wud levels be in healthy ready? Can anyone explain difference between bs with diabetes n without. Thanks

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
From what I have read, it will be a lot easier to manage on insulin, but one of the mums will tell you about it all
eat low carb snacks that won't kick your BG/BS, eggs, nuts, cheese, meat, stay away from grain/grain product as a snack

Reactions: 2 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dear ela

Congratulations on the pregnancy.

Being a man I have no personal experience on the matter, fortunately my wife is not a diabetic, but I do know from a friend who did develop t2 when pregnant that it is not unusual for doctors to want pregnant diabetics to go on insulin for better blood sugar control. At least my friend had to go on it. Once she delivered her baby, early and by Caesarian section, another safety precaution because of the diabetes, she was taken of insulin and has been on oral medication ever since. Her son is now a very healthy ten year old and a real spoiled brat!

As for blood sugar levels, everybody experiences a rise in blood sugar after a meal, even non diabetics. The food we consume is turned into glucose/blood sugar and is distributed to the various cells of our body in the blood stream. Insulin produced by the pancreas in response to the increased glucose levels is the enzyme that helps blood sugar to leave the blood stream and feed our cells; causing a lowering if blood sugar levels as a result.

Diabetics either no longer produce sufficient insulin (type 1) or are not able to utilize the insulin they do produce efficiently (type 2) so as a result , are not able to reduce their blood sugar as effectively.. Hence after a meal our blood sugar rises more and stays higher for longer than non diabetics

Pavlos
Type 2 - Diagnosed 2009; Latest HbA1c 5,8%; Diabetes Medication: metformin 2x850mg; Other medication: Aspirin 75mg, Valsartan 80mg, Rosuvostatin 20mg, Ezetimibe 10mg; Exercise: One hour walk daily, tennis weekly, swimming when warm enough

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have normal glucose metabolism you bg will go up 1-2 mml for a short while after foods, but be down to baseline or lower within an hour. And the baseline for well people is usually below 5.1.

I can´t eat fruit either. Cheese, olives, nuts, eggs or a piece of salami or such are nice treats.

Reactions: 2 people

Recycling48

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sushi rolls without the rice, hard boiled eggs mixed with Mayo ,any caned fish or fresh (cooked) cream cheese, cottage , or grated hard cheese. Any green veg, spread plain mayo, or cream cheese over nori seaweed, then put in what you fancy, ( chicken, ham ,Ect) roll, wrap in film. Away u go. Keeps the carbs low. Some nori can be stronger tasting than others, so you might have to shop around.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hmmm.. probably a lot less than stuff I like
Anything without high carbs would be good... hard boiled eggs with smoked salmon is a favourite of mine. Strawberries and cream; raspberries with creme fraiche; cheese with a few grapes. You can be as inventive as you want.

Good luck

ela

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou, I will def be trying popcorn tonight luckily local shop open so got micro salted version. Im finding it hard as my appitite is getting bigger but im scared to eat becoming bit obsessed over sugar levels. Hopefully when I find out my fate on tues ill be able to accept it and try enjoy some of this pregnancy x

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hmmm.. probably a lot less than stuff I like
I wonder what popcorn is like with sweetener? I like it sweet, but obviously don't want to use sugar. May try it later (got some at home).

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Ela, welcome to the Forum and congratulations on your pregnancy. I had gestational diabetes 20 years ago and was on low doses of insulin to stop the baby getting too big, the baby grows but the lungs and other internal organs don't mature so quickly, so it is really important to get your levels under control. The advice has changed since I had gestation diabetes and if I were you I would definitely cut out some of the carbohydrates in your diet ie. bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, cake, biscuits anything really with flour in it, althoug you may be able to tolerate some, but you will need to test to see whether they spike you or not. This will help lower your blood sugar quite a bit, eat plenty of leafy vegetables, salad, any type of meat or fish, eggs as long as they are well cooked. Some fruit is also high in carbohydrate, but you can eat berries in moderation. You could snack on full fat yoghurt with berries, nuts, avocado pear. I think you have to be careful of certain cheeses and mayonnaise and soft eggs as there is a risk of salmonella, but check with your midwife as this may also have changed.

Once my daughter was born (3 weeks early), my diabetes disappeard immediatly after the birth, but I have since recently been diagnosed with Type 2. My daughter suffered no ill effects and is now a healthy 20 year old.

Good luck with your pregnancy, I am sure it will go well.

Hope this helps.

Marilyn x

ela

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, I managed it with diet during my last preg with very little change just lowered carbs I was diagnosed at 28wks and delivered at 32wks sonot to long with it. But this time they monitored from 14wks and diagnosed at 16wks iv had bloods taken and return on tues to see wat medss I need. Iv cut lots out fruit really sends me hi espec apples im going to speak with my dietition gain after I no wat happening. Driving me mad as im craving orangey things like pure oj, calipso lollies etc n cant have most x

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Ela, oh poor you, I know it's a nightmare when you have cravings, I craved toasted banana sandwiches (Yuk). Let us know how you get on at the docs. Take care.

Marilyn x