Type 2 Newly diagnosed really feeling the cold

Branston_boy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good afternoon, it's been useful reading the discussion on here and seeing I am pretty normal in many of the things I am experiencing over the last 4 weeks since being diagnosed and starting metformin. One thing which I have found strange though is that I never used to feel the cold and now feel it really badly.
I have gone on the low carb diet and lost weight so that's been a shock to the system but have other people found this?

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been basically thin all of my life and feel the cold a lot. When I went on the low-carb diet it I lost weight and it was bad when going for the daily walk in sub-freezing conditions here in northeast USA last winter.

I "solved" it by covering up a lot more while outside (and investing in warmer, winter-proof clothing) and wearing more layers at home. Also (yuck) wearing socks in bed at night.

Reactions: Branston_boy

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
I have been basically thin all of my life and feel the cold a lot. When I went on the low-carb diet it I lost weight and it was bad when going for the daily walk in sub-freezing conditions here in northeast USA last winter.

I "solved" it by covering up a lot more while outside (and investing in warmer, winter-proof clothing) and wearing more layers at home. Also (yuck) wearing socks in bed at night.
Hubby on nights now, I need a hot water bottle not got to socks Yet! K
I used to do lots of walking 2 hours everyday and fell walking we used to put on a few layers this enabled us to keep warm and then we could peel off the layers has we warmed up. K

Reactions: Branston_boy

dipsydo

I do not take any meds and we are all likely to react differently to change in diet I can only give my experience . When I reduced carbs I got really cold for a short time .. it was my knees which were the coldest but my whole body felt deeply cold. I posted a question on this forum and it was suggested I increased the fat and this worked for me . May be worth a try for you ( I mainly ate more olives and nuts and cooked in butter). I now get the occasional cold spell but otherwise are fine despite having lost 4 stone or so. Hope this helps

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I do not take any meds and we are all likely to react differently to change in diet I can only give my experience . When I reduced carbs I got really cold for a short time .. it was my knees which were the coldest but my whole body felt deeply cold. I posted a question on this forum and it was suggested I increased the fat and this worked for me . May be worth a try for you ( I mainly ate more olives and nuts and cooked in butter). I now get the occasional cold spell but otherwise are fine despite having lost 4 stone or so. Hope this helps
Hi dipsydo I to have lost 4 stone and I know what you mean about feeling cold I just add layers and take them off Has I warm up, I've done high fat low carb diet for just over 12 months that's how I lost the weight, but have now got gout so I now need to adjust my diet to fit both diabetes and gout, they both contradict each other, so has ive been more than a little stressed reading what I can and can't have to eat I've got some advice contradicting gp advice and had a gin and tonic with lemon, the lemon was for the gout the rest for my sanity. And I'm not usually a drinker watch this space! Only joking

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My hubby just puts itbdown to the fact that whales and polarbears can surive cold extremes due to fat and blubber... he reckons I'm just a beautiful tropical fish trying to survive in arctic waters during the winter.

Times of stress and he tells me to swim like a dolphin!!

Fisherman???? -no.. but he is more polar bear than me!

Branston_boy

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Thanks for the reply. Yes it's more layers from now on then!

Reactions: Granny_grump_

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My hubby just puts itbdown to the fact that whales and polarbears can surive cold extremes due to fat and blubber... he reckons I'm just a beautiful tropical fish trying to survive in arctic waters during the winter.

I'm no beauty and one of my cruel tricks at night in bed is to warm my (always-cold) feet or hands on nearby Mrs. G.! The start of this process heralds the Arrival of Winter.

Branston_boy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks to everybody for their replies. I apologise for seeming rude as I had the app settings wrong so I had no notifications of any comments! Thanks for your support

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi dipsydo
I've been on the low carb high fat diet over around 12 months due to what we needed to eat the high fats and protein plus dairy fats I know have gout, so I have had to come off this diet and go low carb low fats low protein increased water. It's not a problem has I've lost the weight I wanted to lose 4 stone same has yourself. But now I need to reintroduce some foods that won't cause flare ups of gout, so it's working to maintain BG levels with a gout diet, has to being cold when we lose body fat like we have we are going to feel the cold more, couple this with my hubbys new shifts that's where the hot water bottle comes in handy.
It's a good diet LCHF but stick to the fats and protein amounts I think that's where I went wrong,but just because I have gout doesn't mean you will get it, if this concerns you talk with your doctor see what he recommends. Best of luck with what you want to achieve. K

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm no beauty and one of my cruel tricks at night in bed is to warm my (always-cold) feet or hands on nearby Mrs. G.! The start of this process heralds the Arrival of Winter.
Hi Grateful
Lucky you my hot water bottle. i.e.:- hubby has changed shifts now I've had to resort to artificial means Hot Water Bottle! Haha!K Our other halfs have something to look forward to in winter eh! Missing mine!