newly diagnosed t2 feeling so rotten :(

sunday1980

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who value money over family/friendsip
Hi all I'm 33 and was diagnosed with t2 two and a half weeks ago, had been feeling unwell for a year previously and gradually getting worse, kept going back to my doctors but they never picked it up. Had gestational diabetes 10 years ago so should have picked up the symptoms quicker myself. Was only picked up when I went into hospital for gall stone pain. Been put on gliclazide 80mg twice daily and metformin is being increased each week. Saw diabetic nurse who also put me on statin.
Just feel so exhausted all the time, I'm literally in bed most of the day, getting frustrated it's not getting better and that I can't exercise or do anything at all. I feel so drowsy sometimes feels like I've been drugged!
Had tests for b12, iron, thyroid etc all fine except my liver, which doctor says is fatty liver.
Will it ever get any better? My levels are down to mostly between 8 - 10 sometimes a bit higher. They were always 15ish at the beginning. I'm a bit loathe to trust my gp after missing the diagnosis in the first place :/

mrs gimli

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Racists or hatred. Disrespect for people.
Hi I don't have a lot of advice as I'm still learning also but I'm sure someone will come soon who has more..diet plays a huge part and getting this right and will help you feel better over time. Cutting right down on bread pasta rice and potatoes is a great start and being careful with fruit. I have to say though if I were you I would go back to gp and ask them why your so tired and ask them to find out.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
Hi and welcome,
once you start getting better numbers you should start feeling better, diabetes itself shouldnt make u feel ill if u are controlled,
have a look at your diet and see if you can help yourself that way, did you feel this poorly before the medications, i have been on metformin before and it didnt agree with me so changed to slow release version, also the statins made me really unwell so was changed to a non statin cholestrol med, im not type 2 so cant think of anything else but im sure someone will be along soon with advice:)

sunday1980

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks Mrs gimli :) I have adjusted my diet dramatically, eating low gi foods and testing before and after meals to see how different things affect me. Also I am much more rigid on my portion sizes, and including plenty of fresh veg. Found the whole eating thing really confusing at first then started following slimming world "red" days. Still portion control my proteins though.
I've just really lost confidence in medical professionals :(

Reactions: 3 people

sunday1980

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Felt unwell badly week before diagnosis as had urine infection and was in alot of pain with gallstones, felt generally unwell for months, couple times a week I'd sleep for up to 18 hours. The metformin doesn't seem to give me any tummy side effects but the statin made my legs hurt like hell, so they are giving me a new prescription for something else tomorrow.
Feel like I'm bugging the doctors they just said it'll get better soon.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Yes, we've all had our fill of GPs ref diabetes; not many are really clued-up. If you are overweight you must diet, but it must be oriented towards diabetic needs and that means keeping the carbs down. Don't worry at all about proteins and fats are OK in sensible quantity. The arguments about the need for statins continue. They have nothing to do with diabetes. If your cholesterol is not that high and you don't have a family history of heart problems then you may need to decide whether you take them or not as some people have side effects but others don't. Do get hold of a glucose meter if you haven't already as this is essential to monitor your blood sugar and the effect of various foods